Brewer Fanatic

Trading partner: Houston Astros

The Astros have used nine starting pitchers so far this season. Feldman just hit the DL (and wasn't that great before hitting the DL), where he joins Oberholtzer, Peacock, and Deduno, none of whom should be considered even #3 starters. McCullers has been called up and pitching well, but after throwing 97 heavy innings last year it's unlikely they let him go much more than 140 this year and will/should probably shut him down in August. They are also struggling at 3B, starting journeyman Luis Valbuena who had a semi-breakout year in Chicago last year but appears to be returning to career norms this year. Carter and Gattis have struggled with OBP, and Lind might make for a good complementary LH platoon partner at 1B and DH.

The Astros have discussed Harang and will consider Cueto, but apparently Hamels comes with too much contract.

For a team in first place they seem to have a lot of holes. Demand at positions the Brewers are/could be looking to sell is starting to pick up, and that's good. With the Astros and Angels both struggling at 1B/DH, a nice bidding war between the two division rivals for Lind could really inflate the return for him.

You want to deal Gomez and Lohse/Garza to the Stros' I'm absolutely in for Derek Fisher, Michael Feliz, and Colin Moran.

I'd pull the trigger immediately if it was for Garza but they both have to go IMO.

I could see a gomez + pitching trade with the Astros. I'm not a huge fan of Moran though. He doesn't have the power that a corner IF his size should. He hits for a nice average but his defense isn't great. Better to target guys like D.J. Davis and (especially) A.J Reed. Josh Hader would be a nice pitcher to go after also.

I could see a gomez + pitching trade with the Astros. I'm not a huge fan of Moran though. He doesn't have the power that a corner IF his size should. He hits for a nice average but his defense isn't great. Better to target guys like D.J. Davis and (especially) A.J Reed. Josh Hader would be a nice pitcher to go after also.

While fielding percentage isn't the best indicator, Moran has a .967 career FP at 3B which is quite good. I also am not concerned by his power numbers. He's just 22 and the power will come naturally. I'll take a contact guy who projects to increase power over the big minor league slugger who strikes out once every 3 AB's.

Houston is not for real and it will become clearly evident by the All Star Break. They will finish no higher than 4th. So if you are looking to deal with them, better do it soon.

I'm only half on board with you here. I think there was regression coming for McHugh, Keuchel has found an incredible ground ball pitch but he still has some regression due, Ramon Hernandez is very dicey at the bottom of that rotation. That said, Carter is one of the few guys in the league that need to be "seeing the ball well" (contrary to every announcer thinking that every player needs this) to succeed and he's just hit his stride. Springer is coming back around...Lowrie/Correa are not here/hitting. I see some good and bad signs for them.

Who's going to catch them?

The Angels, who are trotting out guys pitching way over their heads (Wilson, Santiago) and the uninspiring Weaver/Shoemaker 4 of every 5 days? Plus, the bottom of their lineup gets really dicey and beyond Trout, Poo Holes and Calhoun are not necessarily studs.

Texas? They have a very nice lineup for that ballpark of slugging depth. Not sure if their pitching holds up as well as it has all year, though.

Seattle does seem a bit dangerous but Paxton is out again and they are struggling to keep their pitching consistency beyond Felix.

I really liked Oakland to hold on even after having to deal away a lot of their high-end players before the season, but they are dead in the water.

Not trying to rag on you for proposing it LouisEly - but I would fall off my chair laughing if the Astro's honestly traded for someone this year. They haven't been to the playoffs in a decade and haven't had a winning record since 2008. This is a perfect example of a franchise who has experienced losing for a good period, finally righting the ship and then immediately sacrificing their future. Going into this year, Baseball America has them as the 14th best organization in terms of prospects. Any trades would immediately weaken it - making it pretty foolish - IMO. But as we all know GM's don't always think with their future in mind. Also, I don't even think they are one of the top 3 teams in their own division much less a top 5 team in the AL. But whichever - trade away Stro's!

Houston. Correa's time if forthcoming and that will immediately improve the team. This is a team that I would think with Chris Carter and Jed Lowrie kinda scrapes with another Playoff type team in a trade. Mets? Lowrie for Gee or Niese? Carter to Seattle for JA Happ Some kind of trade like that. Opens the playing time for Singleton and Correa.

Marishnick's batting isn't a full fluke to me. He was a top 100 prospect that just didn't get going early hitting for Miami. Springer should be improving. Keuchel, is showing he's real. McCullers is up and he was a well regarded Pitching prospect.

I believe the team is going to stay for the season competing for the title. Do they make a dramatic trade though? I just see the Happ or Lohse type of SP being added to the rotation Someone to look for 190IP at around 3.75ERA. Look at their prospects a Joe Musgrove would sorta fit the deal for Lohse at the moment. A 2011 Supplemental 1st rd pick ranked outside their top 10 currently of prospects.

The Astros are good and are going to be good for a long time to come. If the choice is between Lohse/Garza and staying put, I'd stay put. I don't want either one of them on the Astros. I want to see Correa up so badly. The garbage they're trotting out there (Jonathan Villar and Marwin Gonzalez) since Lowrie's been hurt has been painful to watch. McCullers has looked pretty good. Oberholtzer has to get over his blister problems. I think they'll be looking to add a starter, but I'd personally not add anyone from the Brewers.

The Astros are good and are going to be good for a long time to come.....

It's easy to look at any team with lots of good prospects and think this. That they're playing such good baseball doesn't hurt. Translation: You may be right.

However, as we've learned well, there are NO guarantees, so I'm not conceding them anything over the long run 'til they've clearly earned that fear from other teams.

Correa has been called up. Yes the Astros are going to be for real. Altuve/Correa duo in a lineup will just be nuts! Astros just inserted a legit top of the order to bat ahead Altuve. Vs batting the SS they've been fielding 9th. A lot more runs are going to be scored by this team.

I made this mention in the Open for Business thread but how about offering Fiers for their International signee of last season? Franklin Perez. I'm sure they can find another prospect of the Astros to get as well but with that avg ML future projection vs any significant prospect. You pick up the lottery ticket in Perez who reads as having a projected Plus FB&Curveball in his future with a developing Changeup. He's 6'1" at the moment so 6' 2-4" is a strong possibility and the perfect SP heights in my opinion.

Archived