Brewer Fanatic

Tyler Wagner called-up [Latest: will be sent back to minors; destination uncertain… post 41]

Hammer

Per Ken Rosenthal Tyler Wagner has gotten the call. Here is his draft write up:

ROUND 4: Tyler Wagner - RHP

6'3", 195, R/R, University of Utah

abc4.com

SCOUTING REPORT:

Perfect Game (Courtesy of and with permission from Patrick Ebert and the folks at PerfectGame.org):

The rangy 6-foot-3, 195-pound Wagner has an explosive arm with a fastball that frequently touches 95 mph and gets on hitters quickly from a three-quarters slot. He also has a second plus pitch in a power slider, giving him two weapons needed to excel as a closer. Wagner had only two saves in 17 appearances in early May, though as his opportunity to close out games was limited. At the same time, Wagner struggles to throw strikes consistently, which led to a 2-5, 3.98 record, while walking 21 and striking out 29 in 32 innings. Had he pitched more like he did in 2011, Wagner might have been a fit as early as the third round, though is still expected to be the state’s top pick.

LINKS:

Wagner open to closing or starting

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Solid! Thornberg probably isnt stretched out enough, glad to see them reaching past the closest available arm to fill a spot in the rotation

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I was hoping Tyler Cravy would have been called up. The guys has a 4.04 era in that horror staff at AAA. Then I would have gone Thornburg. But Wagner is also a great start to the 25 man ROSTER CLEANING that is required.

Great decision, he has had pitched great in top league and we could use some young, new blood. Jungmann hasn't earned the right to pitch even in AAA regardless to playing in Colorado. Thornburg just doesn't seem right, his velocity needs to get back up. His curve and change aren't as effective when he's not throwing hard & he doesn't locate well enough with his straight arrow fastball to not give up huge number of HRs not pitching in mid 90s.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Didnt see that coming. But I'm okay with it. It's about getting good players on the field. If the club thinks he's ready, then go for it. We can live with some growing pains - this season is about building for the future.

Blazek, Knebel, Goforth, now Wagner. Nice seeing the giving the kids a chance.

Congrats to Tyler.

Wow. Typical Brewer move...Just proves a

point that they are grasping at straws.

So who would you have brought up? Look at Colorado Springs

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/team.cgi?id=bffa65ab&mobile=false

No one is doing great. Cravy is ok. I actually think this is the opposite of what they would normally do. They are rewarding a 2012 4th round pick with a professional start with how successful he has been. I am all for it. Let him get in the big league club and get some experience ... This season is over anyhow

Did I miss the corresponding move on who is being sent down? I thought that Peralta's roster spot after putting him on the DL went to Goforth?

Wooten Outrighted to AAA. Last sentence of this article: http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/127289606/tyler-wagner-reported-to-start-sunday-for-brewers

Thanks. Very sleepily read the call-up news last night. I really like this move and am anxious to see what we might have from a kid who looks like he has some real upside.

No, the typical move would have been to move blazek to the rotation and call up a 6 year MiLB reliever to fill in the pen

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Why not move him to AAA and see how he pitches against better hitters. Last year one or two guys at AA had better numbers than Wagner...where is their reward for success? Colorado Springs... Someone posted earlier about not exposing any AA pitchers to Colorado Springs, I guess management concurred. A couple starters at AAA are doing well when you compare them to past starters at Colorado Springs. I guess I will retract my typical statement since they didn't bring up Brooks Hall.

No, the typical move would have been to move blazek to the rotation and call up a 6 year MiLB reliever to fill in the pen

Lol. You are absolutely correct.

Why not move him to AAA and see how he pitches against better hitters. Last year one or two guys at AA had better numbers than Wagner...where is their reward for success? Colorado Springs... Someone posted earlier about not exposing any AA pitchers to Colorado Springs, I guess management concurred. A couple starters at AAA are doing well when you compare them to past starters at Colorado Springs. I guess I will retract my typical statement since they didn't bring up Brooks Hall.

So are you saying that Cravy should have had an opportunity last year and you are upset that he was passed over this year because he was stuck in Colorado? I would agree that where he is at now isn't the best place but it was different last year with the Brewers being in contention and not really needing much starting help plus the fact that Cravy got injured fairly early on. Jungmann was pitching well in AA last year also but only did okay when going to Nashville and certainly hasn't helped things with his performance thus far this year.

I probably would have gone with the Cravy Tyler instead, but I can see the logic in bypassing AAA. Wagner is 24, so it's not exactly like he's hitting the majors particularly early. I look forward to watching on Sunday. I'm worried he's not going to miss enough bats in the big leagues - hopefully he'll pick up enough grounders to make up for that.

Surprised, but enthused.

Wagner has been consistently good at each level of the minors. While it's uncommon, bringing up a AA pitcher, it is not unheard of. He's been the best starter they've had in the minors this year and last, too.

Besides, they most likely view him as a short-term starter while Peralta recovers, and when he's sent back down it will be to AAA.

So are you saying that Cravy should have had an opportunity last year and you are upset that he was passed over this year because he was stuck in Colorado? I would agree that where he is at now isn't the best place but it was different last year with the Brewers being in contention and not really needing much starting help plus the fact that Cravy got injured fairly early on. Jungmann was pitching well in AA last year also but only did okay when going to Nashville and certainly hasn't helped things with his performance thus far this year.

Wagner definitely deserves a bump up as do some of the other AA pitchers but all the way to the majors is questionable. I would like to see all the pitchers in the organization face the best hitters before advancing to the majors. At AAA, you are facing a lot of hitters with MLB experience, I would like to see how the better pitchers perform at that level. Cravy got hurt after all star break. Jungmann performed well the latter half at AAA. Pitchers numbers at AAA may look ho-hum to awful but there has only been a handful of full time starters that pitched in Colorado Springs over the last ten years that had a sub 5 era.

This move reminds me of the Chris Saenz call-up some years ago (I'm too lazy to look up exactly how long ago). EDIT: Lo and behold, there's a retrospective thread on Chris Saenz. He was brought up in 2004. Yeah, I'm slow :)

I like the move and agree that maybe some new blood will shake things up. Could this be a start to changing the old way of doing things?

I'm guessing this is all about having pitchers bypass Colorado Springs.

The Brewers must have confidence in Wagners potential and don't want to bump him up to AAA and blow his confidence pitching in a band box.

Sadly, someone has to pitch at AAA.

My guess is after this year you will see the Brewers scoop up a bunch of AAAA Brad Mills type dudes to pitch at Colorado and the pitching prospects will skip that stop.

Note to get too far off topic, but bottom line, the Brewers cant find new AAA home soon enough. Tucson used to always have a team and I would think would be a PCL possibility, and there is always the chance that the team links up to an International league club.

Archived