Brewer Fanatic

What prospect did you 'miss' on?

JJHardy7
Sheffield has to be among anyone's top 5 Brewers bad memories. They guy was a mega talent from day one and had no desire to play here.

I know I've told this story on here before, but every time Sheffield comes up I think about this and chuckle. Back in the spring of 1992, my parents took me to Spring Training for the first time. We pulled into the hotel, and there was a sign "Home of the Milwaukee Brewers!" We were staying in the same hotel as the team. Our second night there, we realized we had 2 players staying in the room next to ours. Those players were Kevin Brown (not the good pitcher) and Gary Sheffield. Our third night, they were having some sort of party in their room... loud music, yelling, loud laughing. My parents called the front desk numerous times to try to get them quieted down, but had no luck. We finally got to sleep, woke up in the morning, turn on SportsCenter to see that Sheffield had been traded to the Padres. So we had experienced his going away party! I sat in my hotel room, watched Sheffield carry all of his stuff to his car, and drive out of the Brewers organization.

I'll chime in and say a prospect that I missed out on was Jorge De La Rosa. I was so excited when we got him from Arizona. I was at his first start with the Brewers and I remember telling my dad "This guy is going to be our next ace!" Oops!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny, I can still muster excitement for some of these guys....even the ones that are out of baseball. Salome, Parra, Braddock. Too talented not to make it, right? I wonder who am i being irrational about in our current prospects? My guess is Lara. I'm pretty pumped about him.

I really don't get overly excited about many prospects unless they are top picks that are highly regarded nationally, not just among Brewer fans. Harper, Strasburg, and Trout type guys. Weeks and Fielder were those type of prospects. So, I guess the only "miss" I can think of is Weeks...but at the same time, not sure that was a total miss. He had some decent years and was an All Star. Possibly LaPorta was a miss for me as well although I was not terribly upset when they traded him (not at all trying to start that debate again!!!!).

I know that the prospect "gurus" are going to point out that the Brewers have had several other failed top nationally regarded picks, but those were not guys that you could bring up to a casual fan in another city and expect them to know who you were talking about. Weeks and Fielder were top ten or twenty Baseball America prospects for multiple years. The Brewers have not had many of those.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Sheffield has to be among anyone's top 5 Brewers bad memories. They guy was a mega talent from day one and had no desire to play here.

I know I've told this story on here before, but every time Sheffield comes up I think about this and chuckle. Back in the spring of 1992, my parents took me to Spring Training for the first time. We pulled into the hotel, and there was a sign "Home of the Milwaukee Brewers!" We were staying in the same hotel as the team. Our second night there, we realized we had 2 players staying in the room next to ours. Those players were Kevin Brown (not the good pitcher) and Gary Sheffield. Our third night, they were having some sort of party in their room... loud music, yelling, loud laughing. My parents called the front desk numerous times to try to get them quieted down, but had no luck. We finally got to sleep, woke up in the morning, turn on SportsCenter to see that Sheffield had been traded to the Padres. So we had experienced his going away party! I sat in my hotel room, watched Sheffield carry all of his stuff to his car, and drive out of the Brewers organization.

I'll chime in and say a prospect that I missed out on was Jorge De La Rosa. I was so excited when we got him from Arizona. I was at his first start with the Brewers and I remember telling my dad "This guy is going to be our next ace!" Oops!

We all tend to look so closely at stats and on the field physics of their abilities that we forget they are people off the field.

I look at the Lawrie off the field pics that made his trade all the more understandable.

As soon as I read the title of the post I immediately thought "Manny Parra". I was so excited about the idea of a righty-lefty homegrown 1-2 punch in him and Gallardo. It could have been beautiful. And my mom isn't on this site or anything but I can speak for her. Even though she'd never admit it, Logan Schafer. Basically she thinks the reason the Brewers stink is because Logan isn't starting at every position. Her new guy is Jason Rogers, still early to judge him yet, but we'll see. I hope he does well because I have so much Jason Rogers Huntsville Stars swag and I kind of want it to be worth something some day, you know?

It's funny. Brewerfan posters think we're the only team that gets shut down by unheralded guys making their MLB debuts. Woodard matched Clemens pitch for pitch that day, and pitched an absolute gem. Too bad he was never anything more than about a league average guy after that.

It does seem to happen a lot, but we've certainly seen it go the other way. How do you think all those teams felt a couple of years ago when Mike "Who The Hell Is This Guy" Fiers was carving them up?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It's funny. Brewerfan posters think we're the only team that gets shut down by unheralded guys making their MLB debuts. Woodard matched Clemens pitch for pitch that day, and pitched an absolute gem. Too bad he was never anything more than about a league average guy after that.

It does seem to happen a lot, but we've certainly seen it go the other way. How do you think all those teams felt a couple of years ago when Mike "Who The Hell Is This Guy" Fiers was carving them up?

I'm sure Cardinal fans were wondering how the heck they got pwned by Chris Saenz as well.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=saenzch01&t=p&year=

Santo Manzinillo and Amaury Rivas are two guys for me who had back to back dominant years in double A Rivas in 10 and manzinillo in 11 where i started to get really excited about the brewers developing pitching. I remembering thinking that Rivas and peralta (along with rogers, mike jones, and even lamontange) could all be in a rotation with manzinillo as the electric closer... that hasnt worked out too well for me...

Santo Manzinillo and Amaury Rivas are two guys for me who had back to back dominant years in double A Rivas in 10 and manzinillo in 11 where i started to get really excited about the brewers developing pitching.

Wow, the Rivas hurt ran so deep I had completely buried him, I didn't even think of him till you posted. Manzanillo somehow tripped the Omar Aguilar button in my brain, the pitcher who Lucroy said had the best stuff he caught.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, the Rivas deal is a saga.

The guy was dominant for a 3 year stretch.

Then he got the call, Big League Debut time, He made it!

Then his flight got cancelled...

By the time is was cancelled the Brewers couldnt get him on another one until it was too late :-(

They even checked nearby airports.

Rivas stayed good, not dominant, for a while, but his spot was gone and so was his opportunity.

He went downhill in a hurry performance wise

He was relegated to a relief role and was soon out of the system :-(

Some of mine:

3B Taylor Green - I thought he was a left-handed Cirillo

2B Jeff Pickler - I thought the Brewers had a late-round gem with some speed and OBP skills at second base

P Tim Dillard - I saw the CGs he was posting at Brevard County and thought he was a future mainstay of the rotation

C Robinson Cancel - I thought he'd be a future catcher for the Crew

P Chris Cody - I thought he was a steal after he tore things up.

wow.. so many dreams faded away.. Tyrone Hill.. I remember sitting at County Stadium as teenager and some older gentleman told me to remember that name and gave me a Baseball America with Tyrone Hill listed as one of the top 10 prospects in the Minors.. 93 I think...

Mat Gamel for sure. Thought Green would be good too.

What about Lou Palmisano?

I thought Lou Palsmo would be our catcher of the future.

I too thought all of our catching woahs were solvdd with Palsmo.

I hadn't really followed prospects until 2011/2012. Missing out on Mike Trout in a fantasy league, shown me I need to some homework on prospects, plus more info has been given then they were just a few years ago on them.

The guy I was pumped up about was Jeff D'Amico. His curveball, just a pitch I love when it's so Hammer like. 1 Year wonder though

A guy I always sort of liked was 3B Adam Heether. He had an 829 and 902 OPS in his age 26 & 27 seasons at AAA - with very good OBPs. He also, by all reports, was a good defensive 3B. Just sort of wished he could have had a cup of coffee in the majors. But he fell off somewhat quickly after those seasons.

Oh I just remembered on that I was in love with and thought forsure was going to be the next great thing! Evan Anundson! He threw that no hitter in the 10am game for BC and I thought, oh, this guys got it!

Archived