Brewer Fanatic

Growing Tired of BA

rickh150
If he's "one of the best in the business" then the business is in trouble. Somebody please explain to him that saying "walked him on four straight" is a redundancy that no professional should use.

http://i.imgur.com/N1Iiv8J.gif

Brian Anderson is one of the best if not the best in the business.

If you need any proof of this, try listening to the other announcers. We are extremely lucky to have him. He is a year or two away from being a national guy for some big network, so enjoy him while we have him.

It's kind of the first time he's really been calling completely meaningless games for us. Obviously there are exceptions but for the most part the team has been pretty good during his time here, he's seemed frustrated at times this year, like a fan would be.

When you hear the same people for several years you're bound to get bored or sick of them. That being said, watch some MLBtv games when they jump around to random games and you'll see we're quite lucky. This is my primary viewpoint into other broadcasters and it's even a little in their favor because MLB usually jumps when there is men on base, can't imagine how bad it is when there is nothing going on. It's really shocking to hear the amount of dead air that happens on other games.

I like Brian Anderson quite a bit, think he calls a good game. Uecker on TV doing play by play would be more fun, but Anderson is very good. I think Schroeder is good too, it is just that he says the same thing game after game and it gets old after so many years. Schroeder knows the game of Baseball though, and I like his old school mentality
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

What exactly makes BA better than others? I really want to know because he's just boring and vanilla to me. I've heard other teams' broadcasters and there are only a few that seem at all different to me. The White Sox and Red Sox guys are horrible, the Pirates guys are a snoozefest and the Nats have the best duo that I've heard. Everyone else is pretty much the same.

Quickly off the top of my head:

1) Excellent voice.

2) Good blend of Brewers enthusiasm and objectivity. Doesn't homer it up too much nor does he play it completely straight.

3) Good baseball knowledge for a non-former player. Doesn't pretend to know more than he does, either.

4) Fills air very well without just yammering on. Can move in and out of conversations fluidly.

5) Seems to truly enjoy the games he is working in any sport and seems to enjoy the company of his broadcasting partner(s).

This thread...wow. BA is one of the best around. He doesn't get multiple gigs in other sports for high profile playoff games by being a bad announcer.

Enjoy him while he lasts.

Worst record in baseball and we're upset about Brian Anderson?

LOL, seriously? We're complaining about Brian now? LMAO!

He's one of the best baseball announcers there is. As to his lack of enthusiasm....hello, we're 16-30. He's had to watch every game (well, almost every), and try to put a bow on this steaming pile of cow flop Doug Melvin has presented us with. Maybe he's just tired of seeing Kyle Lohse and Matt Garza serve up gopher ball after gopher ball. Maybe he's tired of seeing the complete lack of discipline on this team. Or, perhaps he's baffled by what I lovingly refer to as "a pee wee league grasp of baseball fundamentals".

Of all the things we could be complaining about...Brian Anderson?

Now I have truly seen it all. /face palm

When he leaves, and he will, you're going to wish he were still here.

No, wait. That's me. Anderson's calls are one of the few things that makes Brewers baseball enjoyable for me.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Community Moderator
Count me among those who feel we're lucky to have Brian. As others have said over the years, give some of the other teams' announcers a listen.

The times he annoys me are few and far between. He said "bases loaded clearing triple" the other night. I haven't heard that from him in several years. Every bases loaded triple clears the bases, so we don't need more information. In the case of a double, "three run double" would be a lot less awkward. I've learned to laugh when he says "groin" (GROW-in). I wonder if that comes from a Texas accent in an earlier life.

Bill used to annoy me a lot, but he hasn't really bothered me in recent years. He used to make claims that could be immediately refuted by a simple stat, such as stating that American League teams didn't steal a lot of bases. I think that Anderson does a lot to make him better than he might be otherwise. There was too much buffoonery when he was paired with Sutton.

Coshun is the one who bothers me the most, mainly because of his continuous mispronunciation of names. I don't think he ever got Paul Maholm's name right despite the fact that he played for divisional rivals for eight years. It took him several years to pronounce Gallardo. He might finally be pronouncing Lucroy correctly; I'm not sure. But he was bumbling Jonathan's name as recently as last year. I don't think he'll ever pronounce Ramírez properly. On the plus side, I haven't heard him end any of this year's broadcasts by saying "That'll do it for Davey and I." (Craig, it's "Davey and me.") That drove me nuts in previous years.

I think that Sophia's gotten a lot better. It really bothered me when she couldn't "speak" a batting average during a feature that was otherwise excellent, and that stuck with me for quite a while.

Davey doesn't bother me. I don't see anything special, but he doesn't try to act like he's special. Jerry's kind of hit or miss, but like Davey, it helps a lot that he isn't trying to be cool.

I can take or leave Jeff Grayson. I don't really feel a connection, maybe because he's rarely at the game. Marney Gellner does OK in the tough spot of being an occasional pinch hitter.

Has Telly Hughes done any games this year? It took a while for him to grow on me.

I have to say that I miss Trenni Kusnierek, though.

I pretty much feel the exact same. Especially that we are lucky to have BA. I do think he could be a little bored with the losing or maybe he's ready to move on. I think it has more to do with bad baseball. We won't find many better than him so careful what you wish for.

Sorry, BA just doesn't do it for me. No personality. The only time he had any sense of excitement or energy was during the end of the 2011 season. Otherwise he's just a big ole bag of blah.

I really disagree with this. There was some truth to it in his first year (07 or 08?) when he was still growing accustomed to his role, but one of the things I like about him now is the exact right excitement he shows for the situation. He certainly gets excited when the game situation calls for it. I wouldn't care to hear him screaming in the next room when we hit a solo HR down 10-2.

One of the things that made watching the Bucks beat the Bulls in Game 4 this year was hearing BA call it at the end, at least for me.

If unrestrained excitement and energy is what you want, Sutton was definitely your man.

Hard to stomach this topic. Trying to keep my sanity with everything else that actually is wrong with organization, I just have to chalk it up to random chance that the small minority spoke up. The double whammy of someone disliking BA followed by someone liking BS was just too much to respond to right away.

Personal taste, but I like Brian and Bill and the way they play off each other. Nice mix of having fun, yet paying attention to details of the game.

Has Coshun ever completed a sentence without adding "to be sure?" That drives me nuts for some reason.

Personal taste, but I like Brian and Bill and the way they play off each other. Nice mix of having fun, yet paying attention to details of the game.

Has Coshun ever completed a sentence without adding "to be sure?" That drives me nuts for some reason.

It's just good that he's completing sentences sometimes. You have to take the small victories.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I love BA. It will be a sad day when he moves on to bigger and better things, as the good ones always do.

I think Rock is better than a lot of other teams' analysts I've heard, but he's gotten really predictable. So much so that I'm pretty sure if Rock were ever to call a Packers game, at some point he'd say "I think Rodgers ought to spike one in the dirt here."

I too miss Trenni Kusnierek and not just because she's pretty; she was also very knowledgeable and good at her job. Much better than anyone they've tried to replace her with.

Coshun is livable but nothing to write home about.

Jeff Grayson is kind of Coshun 2.0 in my mind. Okay, but not great.

Telly Hughes has grown on me but he's not in Trenni's league by a long shot.

Davey is knowledgeable enough and makes good points but he's a terrible public speaker. I don't know if it's the camera or what, but his stumbling and stammering gets tiresome.

Augie makes me want to put on my tinfoil hat and stab my eardrums with a fork. Repeatedly.

Archived