Brewer Fanatic

Growing Tired of BA

rickh150
Fairly indifferent with Rock..... But BA seems to not enjoy calling games anymore. Talks of FINALLY having the game over... Having the road trip over ....jokes more than necessary. More than anything, I don't like his sharing duties for college and NBA basketball. I'd like a guy who commits to the Brewers and that job is number 1 to him and is excited to call it, regardless of performance. Seems like a nice guy... Talented, no doubt...Yet I am starting to question where his heart lies. Getting pissed listening to his calls.

Our announcers are the least of our problems. At least you guys didn't have to listen to the Braves announcers sound so gleeful while our guys are striking out left and right today and that stupid tomahawk chop is playing non-stop. :tongue BA did a nice job yesterday calling our game on Fox Sports 1.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I didn't know there were people that liked Rock.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Count me among those who feel we're lucky to have Brian. As others have said over the years, give some of the other teams' announcers a listen.

The times he annoys me are few and far between. He said "bases loaded clearing triple" the other night. I haven't heard that from him in several years. Every bases loaded triple clears the bases, so we don't need more information. In the case of a double, "three run double" would be a lot less awkward. I've learned to laugh when he says "groin" (GROW-in). I wonder if that comes from a Texas accent in an earlier life.

Bill used to annoy me a lot, but he hasn't really bothered me in recent years. He used to make claims that could be immediately refuted by a simple stat, such as stating that American League teams didn't steal a lot of bases. I think that Anderson does a lot to make him better than he might be otherwise. There was too much buffoonery when he was paired with Sutton.

Coshun is the one who bothers me the most, mainly because of his continuous mispronunciation of names. I don't think he ever got Paul Maholm's name right despite the fact that he played for divisional rivals for eight years. It took him several years to pronounce Gallardo. He might finally be pronouncing Lucroy correctly; I'm not sure. But he was bumbling Jonathan's name as recently as last year. I don't think he'll ever pronounce Ramírez properly. On the plus side, I haven't heard him end any of this year's broadcasts by saying "That'll do it for Davey and I." (Craig, it's "Davey and me.") That drove me nuts in previous years.

I think that Sophia's gotten a lot better. It really bothered me when she couldn't "speak" a batting average during a feature that was otherwise excellent, and that stuck with me for quite a while.

Davey doesn't bother me. I don't see anything special, but he doesn't try to act like he's special. Jerry's kind of hit or miss, but like Davey, it helps a lot that he isn't trying to be cool.

I can take or leave Jeff Grayson. I don't really feel a connection, maybe because he's rarely at the game. Marney Gellner does OK in the tough spot of being an occasional pinch hitter.

Has Telly Hughes done any games this year? It took a while for him to grow on me.

I have to say that I miss Trenni Kusnierek, though.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Be careful what you wish for...BA is one of the best in the business. We're lucky to have him.

If he's "one of the best in the business" then the business is in trouble. Somebody please explain to him that saying "walked him on four straight" is a redundancy that no professional should use. Uecker makes the same mistake but he's an ex-player.

Be careful what you wish for...BA is one of the best in the business. We're lucky to have him.

Totally agree.......He is the best play by play guy we have ever had with the possible exception of Vasgersian.

Of all the things to be upset about.... it is almost laughable to focus on BA.

First this thread starts about hating BA and then I saw something about liking Rock!? All this losing has made people delusional. BA is one of the best announcers in sports. There is a reason he calls playoff games and all those basketball games on top of his duties with the Brewers. BA is quite neutral which is very relieving as announcers usually are extremely bias. The day BA leaves the Brewers is going to be a really sad day. I don't think I would want BA to sit there and sound excited about a garbage team. That would get old really fast. The last thing I want to see is BA sit there and being Mr. Optimistic while we get smashed 14-1. You are probably not going to like any style of announcing while the Brewers play like crap...just my thoughts.

All you have to do is listen to a Coshun or Lepay game and understand how much better BA is.

The rest of the team is total garbage though...Rock is whatever...but the rest should just not exist. It's like we had a $35mil payroll and spent $30mil on Trout. One great guy and then puke.

Honestly, is this a thread about hating B.A. ? Everyone's entitled to their opinions but just wow. This state is really getting spoiled, maybe him leaving would be a good lesson to appreciate what you have. What the heck do you think the REASON that Brian is calling NBA and NCAA playoff games for? He's an ELITE caller. jeesh

Packers - Wayne and Larry

Brewers - Ueck / B.A.

Badgers - Lepay

Bucks - McGlocklin / Moncrief

What? You mean you don't like him joking about how much he sucked as a catcher/MLB player EVERY SINGLE GAME? :laughing

Seriously someone needs to tell him to stop talking about himself all the time. He compares stuff to his experiences way too much. It is the same stories every time.

What? You mean you don't like him joking about how much he sucked as a catcher/MLB player EVERY SINGLE GAME? :laughing

Seriously someone needs to tell him to stop talking about himself all the time. He compares stuff to his experiences way too much. It is the same stories every time.

Sounds like you're describing Uecker.

I don't dislike BA at all, but I do like Lepay more. I wouldn't be upset if BA left, and he took over. I also am tired of Rock. But he'll be here until he retires, so gotta deal with him. When he was gone, and Cirillo and Counsell filled in, it was night and day.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

This, he's the reason I don't have the sound on when I actually watch a game these days.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Coshun is the one who bothers me the most

I'll agree with this statement. It just baffles me how someone who is around sports so much can know so little about them. Here in Madison he's often on the radio as the Brewers or Bucks "insider." He offers nothing. Thank goodness he's not asked to fill in for BA any more!

I'm a bit surprised to hear the dislike for BA on here; I've always personally been of the opinion that he's one of the best handful of announcers in the business. That said, since BA's tenure we've been fortunate enough (until this year) to hear him announce meaningful baseball. I honestly haven't tuned in to MLB.tv more than a dozen times this year, and when I have I haven't paid much attention. Calling meaningless games feels like it takes a somewhat different skill set, so perhaps that's some of it. I always enjoy Uecker, but feel that in a strange way, he's at his absolute best during a day-game in mid-July when the Brewers are already 10-20 games back.

Again, I haven't watched as much baseball this season for obvious reasons, but tuning into other broadcasts has strengthened my belief that BA is one of the best in the business. I can complain a bit about Schroeder, but I think he does a fine enough job.

If he's "one of the best in the business" then the business is in trouble. Somebody please explain to him that saying "walked him on four straight" is a redundancy that no professional should use. Uecker makes the same mistake but he's an ex-player.

Umm...it's not redundancy. To clarify, a batter can be walked on one ball (the fourth ball in an at bat), two balls in a row totaling four in an at bat, three balls in a row totaling four in an at bat OR...you guessed it, four straight. I sure hope you're not one of the best posters in the business or the message board business is in trouble.

Umm...it's not redundancy. To clarify, a batter can be walked on one ball (the fourth ball in an at bat), two balls in a row totaling four in an at bat, three balls in a row totaling four in an at bat OR...you guessed it, four straight. I sure hope you're not one of the best posters in the business or the message board business is in trouble.

I'm glad you responded to this bit. I'm not proud of how long I sat and tried to figure out how it was redundant. I thought I was losing my mind, as is never noticed it before [sMILING FACE]. I believe he was thinking it was "walked on four balls," which would be redundant. The "four straight" part is quite specific though and I feel it offers a little insight into the pitcher's current level of control, or perhaps how much the pitcher really wanted to deal with the batter in that specific scenario.

Archived