Brewer Fanatic

2B Scooter Gennett to AAA; Corey Knebel to MLB

torts
Knebel to MLB roster, excited to see how he does!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I've been a big Scooter fan, but it was a bit overdue. His picture is next to the word "pressing" in the dictionary. It's a amazing what can happen when a guy loses confidence and starts pressing.

Can Sardinas do enough to stick when Segura returns? Segura to 2B? Not surprising they went to 13 pitchers, but don't believe they'll stick too long with 13. Knebel has some nice peripherals including 22 K's in 15 IP. It was only a matter of time for him. Time to get a close look at the return for Gallardo.

I think the Brewers knew this was on the horizon. It seems that every trade they were rumored had a middle infielder in return, including the Rangers deal. Odd considering this was a team with so many holes and two young middle infielders.

They must knew Scooter was on borrowed time.

I've been a big Scooter fan, but it was a bit overdue. His picture is next to the word "pressing" in the dictionary. It's a amazing what can happen when a guy loses confidence and starts pressing.

Can Sardinas do enough to stick when Segura returns? Segura to 2B? Not surprising they went to 13 pitchers, but don't believe they'll stick too long with 13. Knebel has some nice peripherals including 22 K's in 15 IP. It was only a matter of time for him. Time to get a close look at the return for Gallardo.

You think Segura to 2B? I think when he returns Sardinas goes back to AAA to keep getting regular at bats (only 21 right?) and they keep Hector/Ellian at 2B.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Scooter didn't hit well after all-star break last year. His worse habits seem to have emerged taken root. The K rate is just brutal right now. Scooter looked bad at the plate and in the field. I just hope this is just Scooter struggling to get his mechanics and rhythm in place, and not a case of a batter being 'figured out' by opposing pitchers - and the batter not adjusting accordingly.

Hopefully, he'll be back when he gets things together. Just let him rediscover himself without any extra pressure.

Knebel has some nice peripherals including 22 K's in 15 IP. It was only a matter of time for him. Time to get a close look at the return for Gallardo.

Knebel's issue is control. He's regularly walked a batter every other inning. If he can bring that down a bit, he could be special.

You think Segura to 2B? I think when he returns Sardinas goes back to AAA to keep getting regular at bats (only 21 right?) and they keep Hector/Ellian at 2B.

Just speculating of course, but Gomez (.239 OBP) and Herrera (.284 OBP) while having had their moments, I'm sure are still seen as utility guys. If Segura's at 2B, Sardinas would be getting regular AB's as the starting SS. Sardinas turned 22 the other day by the way. With Gennett out of the picture for now, Sardinas is going to play every day until Segura returns. Lets see how he does. Remember Gomez' OBP is just .239, not exactly what you want out there everyday. Herrera is Ramirez' backup and 5th OF.

I don't think there is any way that Segura goes to second this year. If he is still on the team when Arcia arrives then sure but not right now. Best case scenario is Sardinas continues to play well until Segura returns which keeps the trade value of Sardinas up and then Segura plays well when he takes over SS again. Then trade one or both if a good deal comes their way.

I don't think there is any way that Segura goes to second this year. If he is still on the team when Arcia arrives then sure but not right now. Best case scenario is Sardinas continues to play well until Segura returns which keeps the trade value of Sardinas up and then Segura plays well when he takes over SS again. Then trade one or both if a good deal comes their way.

If the plan is eventually to move Segura to 2B anyway for Arcia, doesn't it enhance Sardinas' trade value if he's producing at the major league level as a 22 year old? I'd at least consider keeping him there if he's producing.

I think we have our answer to the "I think he can learn to hit left-handed pitching" debate.

Not really. He isn't hitting anything right now. It could be he just isn't good enough or it could be he needs to go down and regroup. If he does regroup it will still be up for debate if he can learn to hit lefties.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If the plan is eventually to move Segura to 2B anyway for Arcia, doesn't it enhance Sardinas' trade value if he's producing at the major league level as a 22 year old? I'd at least consider keeping him there if he's producing.

If that is really the plan, yes. Not convinced they plan to keep Segura though and he has more value at SS than 2B. Maybe they have the will power to trade one now and then one before next year's deadline before bringing up Arica.

Well it's about time...

hits-fan.gif?w=980

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Excited Knebel is getting the call up. It's great that when you read the in game threads, the Brew's among others were calling for Gennett to be sent down. And it occured. I'm also tired and adamant that Kintzler doesn't belong on the ML roster. Hopefully Knebel phases him out. One might wonder, is Knebel's move a move like that of Kris Bryant or recently called up Maikel Franco. Where he's now spent enough time down in AAA for Milw to gain the 6+years of team control?

I'm with Plush in why doesnt' Sardinas just move to 2b when Segura returns?

It is alarming at what Gennett has become with the Ks, and easily can begin to wonder if he's ever really going to be an everyday starter at 2b anymore for anyone. The fact that he's getting to play for Colorado Springs may be of help for him but a hindrance on diagnosing if he's actually corrected himself, of is Colorado to blame for a return to .300 or better hitting?

To me, Segura stays at SS. He has the most value as a trade asset at this position. To me, this is the most important thing. Segura is under control through 2018. I don't know if he's part of the next successful Brewer team, thus, he becomes a way to acquire assets for the future. Staying at SS gives him the most value. We could trade the guy tomorrow, or a year from now, but his highest value comes as a SS.

If this club is fighting for a playoff spot, and the team decided that Segura and Sardinas are our two best middle infielders, I'd say put Sardinas at SS and Segura at 2B. But we're not fighting for a playoff spot - and probably won't for a few years (at least in my opinion). Thus, it's fine to keep Segura at SS to showcase him.

Ultimately, SS will be Arcia's in 2017. If Segura is part of the team at this time, we can move him to 2B if he's better than the other options.

Maybe Segura's trade value would improve at 2B? He's just okay defensively at SS, maybe he would be amazing at 2B? He definitely would hit like one of the better 2B's.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Maybe Segura's trade value would improve at 2B? He's just okay defensively at SS, maybe he would be amazing at 2B? He definitely would hit like one of the better 2B's.

It would also improve if he could hit for an OPS over .700, which he hasn't done since his hot first half of his rookie year.

If he is a "hot commodity" now, it is because other teams see the team control and the potential. If we hold onto him for another year or two, and he proves himself to be a mid-.600 OPS guy with limited team control remaining, I don't think we'd get much in trade. Even if he hits better, once the team control goes away, we probably wouldn't get more than we could get today. With Sardinas, Gomez, Herrera and eventually Arcia all waiting in the wings, I think we're taking a big chance if we do not trade Segura by this offseason. Assuming, of course that the market for him is as hot as it is rumored.

In regards to Gennett, this is sad, but not totally surprising as he was never considered that great a prospect. I hope he can figure it out, as he should be a nice guy to have around while he's young and inexpensive during the probable "lean years" ahead, and he's certainly an easy guy to root for.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think we have our answer to the "I think he can learn to hit left-handed pitching" debate.

Not really. He isn't hitting anything right now. It could be he just isn't good enough or it could be he needs to go down and regroup. If he does regroup it will still be up for debate if he can learn to hit lefties.

Well, I dunno. I know that he's not hitting anything but I would trust him to maybe find his way back to above-average at hitting RHP. Seems like a chasm to leap over for him to be able to also improve the LHP splits.

Well, I dunno. I know that he's not hitting anything but I would trust him to maybe find his way back to above-average at hitting RHP. Seems like a chasm to leap over for him to be able to also improve the LHP splits.

I agree it will be easier to get back to where he was than to improve what he never was good at. But that does not mean he couldn't get back to where he was then start to improve on his weakness at that point. I think the most this does is set back the time it would take to get there. If indeed he ever could have got there, which was always in question.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived