Brewer Fanatic

Has Ryan Braun lost weight?

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Was listening to Sox radio broadcast on my way home from work. Ed Farmer, who I usually like because he doesn't subscribe to hyperbole and he's not a huge homer, said Ryan Braun has lost weight the last couple of years. I assume this is a PED reference. My question is: has he actually lost weight or is Ed just assuming that everyone busted for PED's has to lose 20 lbs?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

MLB.com lists him as 205...an article from jsonline.com from 2011 stated he was a personal high 210 that year. Though I don't know what he was listed at on MLB.com in 2011.

So...unless 5 pounds counts I don't think so.

He doesnt have the "dad bod" yet

I've had a dad bod for the 11 years that I've been a dad, and for about 15 years before that. If ladies are now suddenly into the look that I've been perfecting all this time, it's news to me. Though my angry, unapproachable glare and occasional Canseco-like twitching might have something to do with that, too.

As for Braun, to me, he does look a little leaner than in the past. It's tough to tell, though, since his jersey could be baggier, or more tailored.

Feels as though people are just searching for things to discuss about Bruan.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Are you referring to me or Ed Farmer? Because I don't see a difference in Braun.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Are you referring to me or Ed Farmer? Because I don't see a difference in Braun.

Sorry, should've been more clear. Ed Farmer was who I was referring to.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

One of the reasons many believed Braun was that he never became that barrel chested guy with the big biceps that people associated with PEDs. Heck most of the players in the league looked like that in the late 90's and early 00's when PED's were pervasive. Farmer says a lot of stuff. He's one of those guys who likes to hear himself talk. He's not to be taken too seriously.

Looks the same to me as the last few years. Has probably gained 10-15 pounds since his rookie year, but what guy isn't going to gain some from age 23-31 while consistently lifting and working out. I don't see him noticeably smaller this year from the last few years.

PEDs now aren't what they were in the 90s and early 00s. They were using straight up steroids back then to tack on mass and muscle. No way they can get away with that stuff these days, what they're using now is basically the same as the supplements that are legal to just stay fresh from the daily grind and nagging injuries.

Just some idiot trying too hard to diss Braun. Instead he should be talking about the bombs coming off Braunie's bat lately.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Just some idiot trying too hard to diss Braun. Instead he should be talking about the bombs coming off Braunie's bat lately.

Braunie does look like his old self at the plate lately. :)

Braunie does look like his old self at the plate lately. :)

Yep. A .987 OPS over the last 28 days is very much like typical Ryan Braun.

So... NOW can we get back to the debate over the "high-class problem" such a bat creates, to wit, the discussion as to which position he should play to maximize his bat's value to the offense? ;)

Having a legit star bat like that in the middle makes such a big difference. I thought someone posted that since he had his days off and has been hitting ever since that they're .500 or a little above. Been seeing teams starting to treat him like his old self lately too in not wanting to pitch to him, basically got two intentional walks last night. And he took them rather than chasing low and outside pitches. On pace for 35+ HRs and 100+ RBIs in spite of wasting April. Hopefully he can stay healthy the whole year.

Having a legit star bat like that in the middle makes such a big difference. I thought someone posted that since he had his days off and has been hitting ever since that they're .500 or a little above. Been seeing teams starting to treat him like his old self lately too in not wanting to pitch to him, basically got two intentional walks last night. And he took them rather than chasing low and outside pitches. On pace for 35+ HRs and 100+ RBIs in spite of wasting April. Hopefully he can stay healthy the whole year.

Yup. The question is, how do you maximize the legit star bat?

St. Louis has Matt Carpenter, who is posting a .960 OPS at third base. The Cubs have Kris Bryant, posting an .880 OPS at the hot corner. Cincinnati has Todd Frazier, who's racking up a .898 OPS this season. I'm worried that the Brewers are being outclassed at the hot corner by the entire division.

I am guessing clancy is again suggesting moving Braun back to 3B. :)

I was a proponent of leaving him there after 2007 to see if he would improve, but this many years after that season I think the only place he should be moved to is 1B when the time is right and if he can field that position.

Do people think if Braun played 1B he'd be less likely to get injured? I'm not sure if that would be a less stressful position for him?

Ryan Braun cannot play third base. He just can't. He hasn't played there in eight seasons. This isn't a video game where you can just move guys around the field without consequence.

Braun himself said just a couple years ago (before he moved to right field) something along the lines of, "I'll play wherever they want me to, other than third base...that didn't work out so well."

It isn't going to happen. Please stop suggesting it as an option. Plus, he is continuing to show a serviceable glove in right field. Just leave him there until age prevents him from fielding competently out there.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

No way 3B is an option. pointless to talk about. His body is brittle as it is, why would you subject him to that. Plus he hasn't played it in 8 years and wasn't good then, how bad would he be now. 1B is def an option as he gets older and assuming Lind leaves after next season. Should be less wear on his body and he's not exactly getting any faster out in RF. Give him an offseason to prepare and he'll be adequate defensively.

I was surprised earlier this year when we needed an emergency 2B for an inning that Gomez went in for that instead of Braun. I think he had the oblique injury going on at the time though so probably why they didn't do it.

Braun is a skilled LF and not bad at RF. He'd probably be OK at 1B. I'm glad he's been hitting so well as of late.

He does look a little smaller than he did in his 2011/2012 seasons, especially in the hips/thighs.....

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

the more I watch I tend to think he's a little heavier, seems slower in the OF and just not as athletic(such as no SBs and looking slower on the bases), which is maybe deceiving me to think he's put on some weight and getting a little fat in some areas.

I don't think he looks any smaller, but he clearly is looking more like a young Rodney Dangerfield every day....

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/sLRZ7IJHmydVzbnd5umggw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTIzMDtxPTc1O3c9MzQ1/https://sp.yimg.com/j/assets/i/us/sp/v/mlb_cutout/players_l/20150406/8034.png

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hwPU3R5sqTM/VDyxC9I5GdI/AAAAAAAAV7M/jgd3sq5or3o/s1600/Screen%2Bshot%2B2014-10-13%2Bat%2B10.12.12%2BPM.png

Archived