Brewer Fanatic

Trade with the Rays

Hello Rays, I am aware that you normally don't covet older or more highly paid pitchers, but you have just lost Smyly and Cobb for the season and Moore is no sure bet upon his return.

We have Lohse and/or Garza to offer you. We'll also sweeten the pot with a lefty platoon bat for you with Lind for more of a return as you do not have much for a LH DH type.

Feel like the Rays only get younger and cheaper. A deal with them would likely be for Nelson or Peralta. A deal to reacquire Garza likely would include 25-30mil from the Brewers in money for his contract. Besides, I thought the Rays were in a rebuild type year. The way they plan and make trades I doubt they'll buy anyone for a playoff run this season.

If you're only trading to clear the contract, and you have to throw in cash to make it happen, then there's no point.

The goal in trading off veterans would be to gain young assets in return. If we're rebuilding, payroll isn't an issue.

I think it's also obvious so far that Lind's doing just fine as an everyday 1B. He's totally mashing against righties as expected, and though his splits vs. LHP aren't stellar by any means, by themselves they're still loads better than what the Brewers put at 1B all last year (like OBP >50 points higher, I believe). Point: He's holding his own quite well as the everyday 1B.

If you're only trading to clear the contract, and you have to throw in cash to make it happen, then there's no point.

Why are you assuming this was the point I was making? You throw money in because a small market team wants to compete this year and is willing to give up a few prospects (yes, a bit uncharacteristic for them) because they don't want to pay X amount of money.

If somebody was upping the offer if I had to pay 50% of Lohse's remaining money, and I knew I was going into nuclear rebuild mode the next few years and paying nobody anyways...I'd probably pay that money to get the better prospects knowing that I'm probably only going to hold a $60-$70 million (or less if more big fish are dumped) payroll next year.

I have no intention of "clearing the contracts" of any of these players and every intention of bringing back prospects for 2018 and beyond.

The goal in trading off veterans would be to gain young assets in return. If we're rebuilding, payroll isn't an issue.

I think it's also obvious so far that Lind's doing just fine as an everyday 1B. He's totally mashing against righties as expected, and though his splits vs. LHP aren't stellar by any means, by themselves they're still loads better than what the Brewers put at 1B all last year (like OBP >50 points higher, I believe). Point: He's holding his own quite well as the everyday 1B.

His career OPS vs. LHP is .590. I'm OK with him facing AAAA lefties here and there but I think if the idea was to win games, somebody else can beat that out. I am going to assume this 21 plate appearance .700 performance is a bit of a mirage and he begins to push to the low .600s.

That said, they aren't planning to contend this year most likely after a few more weeks. I'd still platoon him to keep his numbers inflated for a trade (and yeah, I know other MLB GMs can see his splits, but I'd still rather market him as a leader in X categories to other GMs).

Archived