Brewer Fanatic

Gomez to the Giants?

While the Giants do not have elite talent (They only have 1 player in the top 100 who I do not like) they do have some MLB ready players along with some younger talent.

The trade:

Giants get:

Carlos Gomez; OF

Brewers get:

Andrew Susac; C

Keury Mella; RHP

Christian Arroyo; 2B

Susac should be starting now in the majors at catcher but he has this person named Buster Posey blocking him at catcher. This would allow the Brewers to trade Lucroy and stock the farm system even more. Mella looks to be a top of the rotation starter with one plus pitch now a possible second plus pitch and a third average to above average pitch. He does have some injury concerns with a rotator cuff injury last year though he came back in August and looked really good when he came back. As for Arroyo he is currently a SS but he will have to move to 2B as I don't think he has the range to play SS in the majors. Arroyo brings a nice bat especially at SS or 2B where he is blocked currently by Panik and Crawford.

I wouldn't expect much from Susac other than being an above average defender at catcher but the two prizes in this trade are clearly Mella and Arroyo who could be superstar players neither of them are currently in the top 100 but that should change come next season as both could easily be in the top 100 by next season.

Verified Member
I would be disappointed in that return for Gomez. Andrew Susac is not very exciting and he's the only top prospect they have, not sure there's a good fit.

Verified Member
No thank you, a player like Gomez can get us a much better haul than that, plus, seeing him in a Giants uniform would be awful!
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Verified Member

I don't see the Giants as a fit for Gomez even if they did have the pieces, which I don't believe they do. They already have Aoki, Pagan, Maxwell, Blanco and Pence will be coming back. That isn't great but it's not a huge need either.

I would see them more as a fit for Ramirez if McGehee continues to be horrible.

We don't need MLB ready talent. Generally, MLB-ready talent=AAAA player. How often do we ever see a star prospect traded just before he is about to break into the bigs?

We're better off at this point trading ready for upside, even if it means waiting a few years.

Arroyo is a top 100 prospect according to fangraphs, Susac is very good, and Mella throws very fast...that is not a bad haul; at all

This is Carlos Gomez we're talking about? A 5+WAR CF with an extra season of team control? A QO future who will net a team a 25-30th 1st rd pick return. So Christian Arroyo would cover that. And then it's Susac..a Catcher the team doesn't need under the circumstance. And Mella for Carlos Gomez. Based on Milw's Middle Infield Arroyo doesn't make a lot of sense either. So this return would rely on Mella being the next Clayton Kershaw or abouts and he's not even a top 100 prospect if that is the case. We'd probably get 8-11WAR in 18years of team control from what I'm looking at for 9-12WAR Gomez is worth if healthy in 1.4-1.6seasons of Gomez.

Archived