Brewer Fanatic

2015-05-08 Cubs (Hammel) at Brewers (Nelson), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 7-6]

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/cubs.png[/logo][game-info][h1]May 8 | 7:10 P.M.[/h1][h2]Cubs (14-13) | Brewers (9-20)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/OqZwww0.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/9kxlR4T.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Jason Hammel[/pitcher][h2]2-1, 3.73 ERA, 1.02 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]This will be a rematch for Hammel, who did not get a decision in his last start vs. the Brewers at home. He gave up three runs over six innings and battled a cracked nail on his right middle finger. He's 5-0 in seven career starts vs. the Brewers.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Jimmy Nelson[/pitcher][h2]1-2, 4.03 ERA, 1.17 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Cubs | Game Log[/h3][h3]Nelson has been the Brewers' most consistent starting pitcher despite an extremely unfavorable schedule. This is the third straight occasion on which he's faced the same team in consecutive starts.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. RHP Jason Hammel ®

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. RHP Jimmy Nelson ®

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Hammel, Nelson face off again as Cubs visit Brewers

By Carrie Muskat / MLB.com | 5/7/2015 5:05 PM ET

The Brewers took two out of three games against the Cubs last weekend at Wrigley Field, and the teams will have a rematch at Miller Park, starting Friday with a rematch of pitchers. The Cubs' Jason Hammel and Brewers' Jimmy Nelson, who squared off Sunday in Chicago, will start. Neither got a decision in the game.

In an odd quirk, Friday will mark the third straight instance in which Nelson will face the same team in consecutive starts. He drew the Pirates on April 11 and April 17, the Reds on April 22 and April 27 and now the Cubs for the second time in five days.

The Cubs should note that Nelson has fared poorer in the second outing. For example, he held the Reds to one run on three hits over eight innings in their first meeting, then followed that with his worst start of the season, giving up seven earned runs on six hits and a season-high five walks over 2 1/3 innings.

"It's a challenge, but it's a challenge every time you go out there, no matter who is it or how many times you throw against them," Nelson said. "It's our job. We're supposed to be the best no matter what the challenges are. [My stuff] will still be fresh in their mind, but our hitters are also facing a guy they just saw five days ago. So you chalk it up to the things you can't control and can't worry about."

One thing that has changed since the two teams met: Ron Roenicke is no longer the Brewers manager. Craig Counsell was named Milwaukee's new skipper Monday, and the team is 2-2 since.

Three thing to know about this game:

• Hammel posted a quality start in his last outing, but also admitted he was bothered by a cracked nail on the middle finger of his right hand and had difficulty getting a feel for his pitches. He's 5-0 with a 2.20 ERA in seven career starts against the Brewers.

• Brewers center fielder Carlos Gomez will be back in the starting lineup Friday after beginning Thursday's game on the bench. He had played the previous five games after coming off the disabled list for a hamstring strain.

• Rookie Addison Russell enters the game with a 10-game hitting streak, the longest by a Cubs player this season. It's the longest hitting streak by a Cubs rookie since Mike Fontenot's 12-game stretch in 2007.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Verified Member

Cubs

CF Dexter Fowler

2B Kris Bryant

1B Anthony Rizzo

C Miguel Montero

RF Jorge Soler

SS Starlin Castro

LF Chris Coghlan

P Jason Hammel

2B Addison Russell

Brewers

SS Jean Segura

2B Scooter Gennett

RF Ryan Braun

1B Adam Lind

3B Aramis Ramirez

CF Gerardo Parra

LF Khris Davis

C Martin Maldonado

P Jimmy Nelson

Gomez out again. Did we take him off the DL too early?

He has a hip flexor strain. I literally just got over 1 this winter, granted I'm about 10 years older, but it took me nearly 2 months to shake it. Obviously I don't have access to the same rehabilitation facilities and in truth I didn't even stop working out, I just dealt with the pain until it went away, the first 2 weeks were pretty brutal though. The pain is hard to describe, it's like a constant dull ache that never goes away and then becomes something much more when aggravated a bit.

I've sprained a ton of ankles, injured nerves in my elbow, shoulder dislocations, knee surgery for torn cartilage, but I had never dealt with anything like that. It was far and away the most irritating injury I've had.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Gomez is getting knicked up much like Braun. Trade him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Verified Member
He has a hip flexor strain. I literally just got over 1 this winter, granted I'm about 10 years older, but it took me nearly 2 months to shake it. Obviously I don't have access to the same rehabilitation facilities and in truth I didn't even stop working out, I just dealt with the pain until it went away, the first 2 weeks were pretty brutal though. The pain is hard to describe, it's like a constant dull ache that never goes away and then becomes something much more when aggravated a bit.

I've sprained a ton of ankles, injured nerves in my elbow, shoulder dislocations, knee surgery for torn cartilage, but I had never dealt with anything like that. It was far and away the most irritating injury I've had.

I used to have minor hip flexor issues when I ran track in high school. Wasn't anything much and since I ran middle-distance, it didn't affect me too much, but it was certainly annoying.

I remember the time it REALLY hurt, though. Went to Six Flags (or maybe King's Dominion went I was in college in Virginia - don't remember exactly) and rode one of those huge swinging boat rides that eventually turns upside-down. When we were completely upside-down and just hanging there, the pressure on my hip flexor got so bad that it felt like the muscle was going to pop out of my body.

Verified Member
I swear if Bill was a hitting coach he would tell every player to just go to the opposite field. Pitch middle in, don't drive it, try to take it to the opposite field!

Why send Lind there? Dumb.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I would love it if Jerry Augustine did one of those promos but it went like this instead.

"I'm Jerry Augustine and you're watching da Brewers."

"Ey dere dis is Jerry Augustine and you're watchin da Brewers"

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Geez, I can't wait for Schwarber to come up and hit home runs too... that will be so awesome, or something.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Wow, what an outing by Nelson, not viewing the game. 5hits allowed unfortunately 3 of them HRs costing 4runs. 11Ks! 1BB.

Quality stuff for a #5 in the Brewers rotation. Something fans can cheer about with the Ks and just 1 walk...oh and 7IP.

Out first bat off the bench has a .000 average. Small sample, I know.

That came back to bite them, probably would have pinch hit for Maldonado if they could have. Key point of the game.

Archived