Brewer Fanatic

Marlins release Saltalamacchia

A candidate to be on our team if Lucroy was traded ASAP.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I find it kind of shocking they couldn't get anything for the guy. Not even a couple of million dollars in salary relief - nothing. That's pretty amazing.

I have to think that front offices, like all of us, have finite amounts of time. Perhaps they thought it wasn't worth the time to try and work a deal rather than releasing him outright and waiting for a club to pick him up for the league minimum.

Verified Member
bye felicia

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I bet you that the Brewers equipment manager is really sweating this one out. No way would I wanna be the dude sewing Saltalamacchia with (what seems to be) 3 outlines and 2 drop-shadows onto the (what seems to be) 7 different jerseys we have.

When I see things like this, I wonder what is going on behind the scenes? We tend to focus only on the on the field aspect of a player when in reality so much is the character (or lack of) that promotes transactions. These guys are human beings and deeply flawed in many cases.

I think about the abrupt trade of Lawrie, then I saw the pics of him online and his disastrous choices of a personal life and it made a lot more sense.

I bet you that the Brewers equipment manager is really sweating this one out. No way would I wanna be the dude sewing Saltalamacchia with (what seems to be) 3 outlines and 2 drop-shadows onto the (what seems to be) 7 different jerseys we have.

Is anything even sewn onto the jerseys these days? Pretty sure lettering/numbering is sewn together in China and just steam pressed onto the jersey here.

When I see things like this, I wonder what is going on behind the scenes? We tend to focus only on the on the field aspect of a player when in reality so much is the character (or lack of) that promotes transactions. These guys are human beings and deeply flawed in many cases.

I think about the abrupt trade of Lawrie, then I saw the pics of him online and his disastrous choices of a personal life and it made a lot more sense.

He hasn't had much trouble finding jobs before. I think it's more than teams don't have $15M at this point in the year to be throwing at a catcher with terrible defense and who hasn't hit a lick this year.

He hasn't had much trouble finding jobs before. I think it's more than teams don't have $15M at this point in the year to be throwing at a catcher with terrible defense and who hasn't hit a lick this year.

Aren't the Marlins essentially paying him $15M to go away?

I have no idea what kind of guy he is, only wondering what makes a team say good bye to an expensive player after 29 AB's.

I wonder about something behind the scenes as well. Last year he wasn't good by any means, but .220/.320/.362 is totally serviceable for a catcher who is decent+ defensively. If he's not a complete headcase I'd imagine somebody will jump on this quickly.

Aren't the Marlins essentially paying him $15M to go away?

I have no idea what kind of guy he is, only wondering what makes a team say good bye to an expensive player after 29 AB's.

I was only commenting on why no one traded for him. As for paying him all that money to go away, the Marlins haven't proven themselves to be the most wise organization financially.

It's well known on here that he was among the AFL'ers I liked least in my time. Granted, that was probably 10 years ago. He may have matured. He was a pain-in-the-butt to deal with. It summed things up really well that his fellow Braves on the squad wouldn't speak with him. When he would open his mouth to "just be Salty", they told him he wasn't allowed to speak with them. A me-first catcher that struggles to throw the ball and can't hit won't go far. He's made a lot more money than I expected, but he's no Miguel Montero, Mike Napoli, Ryan Howard, Stephen Drew, Casey Dangle, Huston Street, or Elliot Johnson as a person.

Salty. How quick to forget? The guy is just not a good game manager. His Errors(like the WS when with Boston) and games lost defensively by throwing the ball away trying to get a final of a game at 3b vs letting your pitcher get the final out. That is what I remember of him following him in Miami. His name btw for jersey is custom made outside the normal so that costs a bit I'm sure.

He's average, at best statistically, and it's been bad the last year+ since he was paid, I doubt he's going to be improving much as he ages. A Catcher with 470 PAs as his career high in a season. Can't believe he got the money he did. Must have been a tough C Free Agency or, like an owner signing making a splash of cash to appear real but doing so by overpaying. The casual fan won't know...they'll see 21mil over 3 years on what was a losing low budget franchise and think the guy must mean something.

Not someone for the Brewers to get, and especially not the reason to make a trade ASAP likely taking a worse offer to rush in trading Lucroy than waiting for the highest offer.

Archived