Brewer Fanatic

Lind to Pirates?

Jonah Keri of Grantland suggests Lind could be a good fit for the Nationals.

I have no Idea what their farm system looks like ... thoughts?

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/mlb-the-30-as-nationals-rays-pirates-disabled-list/?utm_content=buffera1a31&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The mention of Lind is about halfway down the article. Keri suggests the Nats could resell Lind this winter if necessary.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 lower rated guys with potential I would target are Drew Ward (3B for now, will be a 1B down the road). Potential 25HR guy and at a position we will likely need some help down the line. He profiles a lot like Denson. Also Jefry Rodriguez. Big projectable right handed pitcher. They both have a high bust probability but also have high ceilings. I would hope those are the types we are targeting.

They will not move Alvarez back to 3B. No way is that happening. He's a 1B for the rest of his time in Pittsburgh.

Yep. I'm surprised the Pirates haven't actually tried moving him to an AL team to be a DH.

he was so bad last year on the field and at bat, no one was going to bite on him, he was on the block this past winter. he was going to command too much money for not enough production at a DH/1B position. they dont have any internal 1B options, either, which is why they signed Hart and havent traded Pedro this year. If he gets moved, it'll be in the winter.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• 2 weeks later...
Pirates picked up Travis Ishikawa on waivers so they have solved all those problems.

Blue font? There's a reason he was on waivers.

yes. Should be in blue. This was the one where I thought I could get away with sarcasm.

The Pirates are interesting. Polanco and Tabata have struggled and Hart is no longer an answer in the OF, so maybe Parra has some value to them. Kang can cover 3B but is no offensive threat. PIT has young pitching to trade.

Is PIT a likely destination for Ramirez and Parra in a package deal? Probably not. But they are a credible threat, and they could proactively acquire those guys to keep them from going to their competitors for the WC - the Giants (Parra), Mets (Ramirez and Parra), and Cubs (Parra).

Even the Cardinals could be a threat for Parra and Ramirez as they have a need at OF (Holliday and Jay on the DL, Jay stunk before going on, and Grichuk due to come back to Earth - .298 OBP and .512 SLG) and 1B (Reynolds has regressed to the Mark Reynolds we know and love - could Ramirez play 1B for them?). Maybe PIT wants to keep those guys from their competition?

Even the Cardinals could be a threat for Parra and Ramirez as they have a need at OF (Holliday and Jay on the DL, Jay stunk before going on, and Grichuk due to come back to Earth - .298 OBP and .512 SLG) and 1B (Reynolds has regressed to the Mark Reynolds we know and love - could Ramirez play 1B for them?). Maybe PIT wants to keep those guys from their competition?

I don't see the Pirates doing anything at this point with the thought in mind that at least it would hurt the Cardinals. Right now they are too far behind to make trades with that being a factor. If St. Louis has a 5 game losing streak or something, maybe you can start thinking that way, but right now the trade has to be 100% because it will help the Pirates, not well the trade is not ideal, but it will keep the Cardinals from them, so lets do it.

• 2 weeks later...
Just lost their SS for awhile, Kang is now their starting SS, leaving a bigger hole at 3B. Ramirez to the Pirates makes so much sense, that it'll probably not happen.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Lind and Aramis for Alvarez to help even the roster and a couple of B grade prospects. That's not terribly expensive and they are getting a large boost in their line-up. Lind helps them a lot for next year as well.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

first off, Alvarez is a Boris player, so he'll be gone in a year no matter what.

second, Alvarez is TERRIBLE on the field. If/when he leaves the Pirates it'll be to an AL team where he can end up a DH. He's the Yuni of the corner positions.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Lind and Aramis for Alvarez to help even the roster and a couple of B grade prospects. That's not terribly expensive and they are getting a large boost in their line-up. Lind helps them a lot for next year as well.

We owe the Pirates nothing and giving them a great solution for their corner IF woes would cost plenty, way above absorbing a questionable Alvarez.

As the playoffs proved last year, doesn't matter who wins the division - what matters is who wins the head-to-head playoff series. You just have to get into the playoffs.

Actually what matters is how you match up in the head to head series.... in a series the better team is usually going to win where as in a 1 game playoff anything can and will happen.

It's not getting to the playoffs that matters, it's how you match up when you get there. There's a lot of different ways to get to the post season but if you aren't able to find a way to match up from the pitching perspective, then it's over. It doesn't matter what mix between starters and relievers a team uses to get the job done because there are plenty of off days to rest, it just matters to put zeros up on the board. If you don't have strong starting pitching then you need 1 heck of a bullpen to lock down games after the starter exits in the 4th or 5th inning. If your bullpen is relatively weak then you need to be able to push starters to at least 7 innings or preferably more.

The Brewers might have been a more talented team as a whole than the Cardinals in 2011, though I personally don't believe that to be true, regardless however one chooses to see the overall talent of the 2 teams in the end the pitching didn't match up. St Louis couldn't get the starter they needed so instead they went and got some more relievers and shortened the game for the more suspect starting pitching on the roster. It was a savvy move and ultimately paid off with another WS appearance and title. The Brewers barely got past AZ who was about as unimpressive as a 94 win team can be, the best SP on that staff that year was Ian Kennedy who has only managed 1 year with an ERA below 4.0 since. AZ's bullpen wasn't all that impressive either.

People can say the Brewers were 2 games from a WS which is technically true, but I honestly believe from a talent perspective the Brewers just didn't match up. The Brewers won a slug fest in game 1 (9-6), won a close game (4-2) in game 4, but with the exception of a tight game 3 in which the Cards won 4-3, the rest of the games were blowouts; 12-3 in game 2, 7-1 in game 5, and 12-6 in game 6. The Brewer pitching was awful as whole, Wolf was the only starter with a decent game in that series and it was a series that wasn't anywhere near as close as it looks on paper at 4-2, the run differential was awful in just 6 games.

The Brewers were quite literally destroyed in that series and it's been a downward slide ever since.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'd call 2 grade B prospects (Sickel's ranking style) well above nothing. Alvarez is just a body and salary call it an open competition with Rogers and Nick R. for next year, maybe even a non-tender at the end of this year.

Archived