Brewer Fanatic

Ron Roenicke relieved of managerial duties (Craig Counsell named new manager, 3 yr contract)

Prince Fielder, PED Braun, and Nyger Morgan

Please spell his name correctly.

Typing and driving. My bad.

Electrical wires nailed to the ice. That's probably pretty safe, right?

If properly insulated, its a non issue. I was at a stop sign fwiw.

Formerly AirShuttle6104

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member

It's a quote from Something, Something, Something, Dark Side. A little joke at doing an unsafe activity by using that line. :tongue

The prospect of Counsell as manager makes me wish they'd not fired Roenicke. I'm totally serious. I can't stand Counsell as a ballplayer and can't stand the love for him on this site. All I think about re: him is the new version of A.J. Hinch as D-Backs manager, which was nothing short of an insanely bad choice. I see more Bart Starr (loved former player) or A.J. Hinch (supposedly smart front office guy) than truly shrewd move here.

I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.

The comments about not hiring a re-tread are laughable. Other than Macha, since the mid '80s (i.e., since Bamberger Pt. 2 ended), we've only hired managers with no MLB managerial experience, and the cumulative results of hiring such a high % of newbies proves nothing about it being a good idea.

Verified Member

"We gave Ron the extension in spring training hoping the players would have confidence to go out and perform, and win some games early," said Melvin.

Inmates running the asylum - Melvin/Attanasio bet over $1M on "confidence".

"We gave Ron the extension in spring training hoping the players would have confidence to go out and perform, and win some games early," said Melvin.

Inmates running the asylum - Melvin/Attanasio bet over $1M on "confidence".

......it's not your money! Never heard people complain so much over things so small. If Mark A wants to throw away a million to try to keep his manager at ease, then so be it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Verified Member
"We just pissed away over $1 million dollars because we subscribe to the stupid theory that you can't have a lame duck manager because the players won't play the same way they would if he had a multi-year contract."

The prospect of Counsell as manager makes me wish they'd not fired Roenicke. I'm totally serious. I can't stand Counsell as a ballplayer and can't stand the love for him on this site. All I think about re: him is the new version of A.J. Hinch as D-Backs manager, which was nothing short of an insanely bad choice. I see more Bart Starr (loved former player) or A.J. Hinch (supposedly smart front office guy) than truly shrewd move here.

I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.

This is basically how I feel. If he didn't play college ball in WI and play for the Brewers, would we even give a damn about him? Honestly... Just don't get it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

That cannot be a true quote... 'we gave the manager an extension in HOPE the players would play up to Mark's spreadsheet'

Surely, surely that cannot be true. Doug and Mark worked out the problem was Ron was in the final year of a contract.

Let me then ask about the end of last year. Ron was NOT in the final year of a contract. So in 2014 that was not the problem. But in 2015 it is a problem.

Oh this will be interesting to 'determine' the next problem.

Verified Member
......it's not your money! Never heard people complain so much over things so small. If Mark A wants to throw away a million to try to keep his manager at ease, then so be it.

Well he did waste money that could have gone to something else. Maybe an overslot deal in the draft or international free agency for a prospect we really liked that we would be okay paying a fine for.

Things like this add up and people will rightly question it when it was completely unnecessary.

Verified Member

You are absolutely correct - it's not my money. But, this is a small market team that needs to manage its resources wisely.

And they just paid one year's salary (dead money) for 5 weeks of league worst managerial performance. These are the facts, and they are undisputed.

There certainly may be flaws in the team Melvin has assembled, but the talent was enough for Vegas to predict a ~.490 win percentage each of the last two seasons. We exceeded that last year due to an incredible start, and while it seems disingenuous to not give RRR credit for that, the recent trend over the last 100 games is in the neighborhood of .370 win percentage. Historic collapse in the final month last season, historically bad start this season, and a broader 4-month history of significantly sub-expectation results. Hard to fault upper management for wanting to make a change.

I'm enthused. I don't think RRR values outs, gives them away -- sac bunts too much, runs too much, fosters reckless basepath aggressiveness too much. It doesn't seem like he rigorously espouses fundamentals nor holds players accountable. And I think he lacks the intensity and energy that would best inspire professional athletes to be champions.

All speculation from a distance. Go Brewers!

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

It's a quote from Something, Something, Something, Dark Side. A little joke at doing an unsafe activity by using that line. :tongue

ah yes. I recall now. My mind is fried, coming off a 38 hour shift and probably 2 hours of sleep. Lol

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Back on topic. Im not sure what to make of the Counsell move. I dont have anything against him, but ive never understood the crazy infatuation with him both in Milwaukee and here in Arizona.
Formerly AirShuttle6104

I don't understand why experience is that big of a deal. Many people on this site (in this thread even) are pretty confident they could do a better job than our last several managers and I'm pretty sure none of them have MLB coaching experience.

well, reading the new updates, the decision was made before the Cubs series but they needed to find someone. It makes me backtrack. Maybe it's not Counsell. At this point, Mark may want an experienced manager.

Isn't Rosenthal already reporting Counsell as official?

Verified Member
Craig!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I was never a fan of Roenicke but I wouldn't have fired him at this point. I wouldn't fire Melvin either. I like the direction of the franchise since about July of last year. This wasn't Roenicke's fault. It was nothing to do with how the team was handled over the last year either. It was set up by crappy decisions between the end of 2012 and up until midway through 2014. The team is not as bad as they have played this year so far and would have/will improve form here out. The next guy is going to get undeserved credit for "turning things around." This is nothing more than a bloodletting to appease fans.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I remain convinced that Melvin was 10 times the bigger problem than Roenicke and, frankly, Mark A was a bigger problem than Roenicke. Obviously you cannot fire the owner.

This feels more like a PR move than anything. Hopefully Counsell does well. He certainly hasn't been handed an elite roster of talent. It'll be interesting to see how he changes the lineup, if at all. He really doesn't have a lead-off hitter on the roster (hint, its not just supposed to be a guy who "runs fast", it is supposed to be a high OBP guy, which we have very few of)

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

To me, RR had a bad tendency to overuse certain players. This year, he has Broxton on a pace to pitch in 71 games. Broxton has not appeared in that many games since 2009, when he had 73, was younger and stronger than he is now. Jeffress, is on a pace to appear in 91 games. He had 29 last year. Will Smith, after falling apart last year, is on a pace to pitch in 78 games, the same as last year. RR just hasn't learned from his mistakes. That's where I fault him.

Also, I think he has mismanaged the Braun injury situation. He has managed this year like it's not a problem but this procedure has never been done on a baseball player before so a cautionary approach might have been better. Braun may well hit better if given regular days off until we know how his hand is going to react. There is a lot of Brewers' cash at stake there.

I would have preferred a pitchers' manager like Bamberger (not that he was perfect) who at least understands that pitchers need rest occasionally and managers need to have some discipline in using them. Well, we see how Counsell does I guess.

I don't understand the infatuation with Counsell either. Guy was a horrific example of how to bat, seems pretty arrogant, and the crutch of "he is one of us" is used too much.

I also thought Counsell was able to squeeze every drop off ability out of himself as he could. It was a wonder that he could stay in MLB as long as he did.

I'm neither excited or disappointed in Counsell being hired, but I'm thankful it's not some retread manager.

From all accounts Counsell is very intelligent in regards to the game of Baseball. One would hope that he is a little more old school in that at least if a Brewers player gets hit by a pitch, the opposing team's star will be plunked in his next at-bat. Hopefully also there will be a much bigger emphasis on smart base-running, fundamental defense, playing some small ball, working the count.

Only some of that can be accomplished, though, without bringing in better players. I am optimistic about Counsell's managerial abilities

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived