Brewer Fanatic

Ron Roenicke relieved of managerial duties (Craig Counsell named new manager, 3 yr contract)

Chicken bleep move by Melvin. Fire yourself.

Thank you RR for 2011, two games from a World Series and 96 wins. You'll land on your feet and in a few seasons it'll be like Yost all over in a World Series.

Ron is the reason we remained 2 games from the World Series when he decided to start Marcum in game 6 despite the fact that Marcum was toast and that everyone in the world knew Marcum was toast. He should have been fired after game 6 for being that stupid.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
I really don't get why it would be Counsell. Guy has no coaching experience. Wouldn't make sense to give him a multi year deal.

Yeah, I could maybe understand if they said we'll give you the interim job and if it works, we'll hire you and if it doesn't we'll let you have your current job back and find a replacement but just giving him the job seems weird.

Thank you RR for 2011, two games from a World Series and 96 wins. You'll land on your feet and in a few seasons it'll be like Yost all over in a World Series.

Ron is the reason we remained 2 games from the World Series when he decided to start Marcum in game 6 despite the fact that Marcum was toast and that everyone in the world knew Marcum was toast. He should have been fired after game 6 for being that stupid.

I said it then and I'll say it now - that's true, but who else should he have started?

I really don't get why it would be Counsell. Guy has no coaching experience. Wouldn't make sense to give him a multi year deal.

It's the thing to do these days. Matheny had 0 coaching experience when he was hired. Same with a few other hirings of the last few years. Robin Ventura comes to mind as well. Raul Ibanez and Jason Giambi were both interviewed for manager positions before they even retired.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So how did they ever win 96 games with him?

He'll probably say they would've won 120 of he wasn't the manager...

He'll probably say your team better win 96 games with Greinke, Gallardo, Marcum, Hart, Braun, Fielder, Weeks, and Axford all in their prime. Free swinging and making outs on the bases is the exact opposite of what it takes to be a winning baseball team and that's pretty much what Roenicke is promoting with his style. The problem is he is too "nice" and so guys think they can keep making the same mistakes without any recourse. Do you disagree?

Right. Roster makes the manager.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Notice I said "coaching experience" and not managerial. I don't know if we are going to be rebuilding this team we want a neophyte who has never coached at any level (that I know of) in charge, that's all.

Well now you're definitely wrong... but only in thinking that I noticed what you actually said. Noticing stuff, or more accurately not noticing stuff, is just one of the many wonderful things about growing old. Thanks for clearing it up for me. There are no bones in ice cream.

Rosenthal is saying the Brewers hired Counsell.

Brewerfan.net is his source

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

So how did they ever win 96 games with him?

He'll probably say they would've won 120 of he wasn't the manager...

He'll probably say your team better win 96 games with Greinke, Gallardo, Marcum, Hart, Braun, Fielder, Weeks, and Axford all in their prime. Free swinging and making outs on the bases is the exact opposite of what it takes to be a winning baseball team and that's pretty much what Roenicke is promoting with his style. The problem is he is too "nice" and so guys think they can keep making the same mistakes without any recourse. Do you disagree?

RR's managing style was frustrating. The guys kept making the same stupid mistakes while RR would stand there in the dugout impassively. Hitters had zero plate discipline and if they walked it was a miracle. Our guys rarely could figure out how to drive in a run with RISP and only one out. He kept pitchers in even if they couldn't find the plate in hopes the guy could work out of the jam the poor smuck created. Often RR only had one guy up in the 'pen. It was almost like it didn't occur to RR that the guy he put in there just might not have it that day. A couple of days ago late in a game in Chicago the score was 0-1 with a RISP. Instead of putting in his hottest hitter to pinch hit - Lind - he put in Herrara who struck out.

I have nothing against RR the man. He seemed like a decent fellow who tried but is woefully inept at managing a big league ball club. I doubt Counsel - who a lot of folks seem to think will be next - will be any better. :(

Notice I said "coaching experience" and not managerial. I don't know if we are going to be rebuilding this team we want a neophyte who has never coached at any level (that I know of) in charge, that's all.

Well now you're definitely wrong... but only in thinking that I noticed what you actually said. Noticing stuff, or more accurately not noticing stuff, is just one of the many wonderful things about growing old. Thanks for clearing it up for me. There are no bones in ice cream.

This old lady screws stuff up too. ;)

Just announced as Craig Counsell

"Announced" by Ken Rosenthal of Sporting News.

In recent history, the Florida Marlins won the World Series the same year they fired their manager early in the season (Jeff Torborg, 16-22 when relieved of his duties) and brought in old man McKeon to run the ship.

Managerial retreads can win a World Series. They had young pitching that came around (Beckett, Willis) with so-so pitching from others (Pavano, Penny), a surprisingly good year from a 29-year-old, and a mediocre bullpen. And they brought in a manager who could better connect with the team.

If Peralta and Nelson can come around like Beckett and Willis...

Lohse, Garza = Pavano, Penny?

Fiers = Redmond?

Lucroy = Rodriguez?

Braun = Lowell?

Gomez = Lee?

"I ain't sayin', I'm just saying..."

I said it then and I'll say it now - that's true, but who else should he have started?

Gallardo on short rest or Naverson for 2-3 innings and the BP for the rest.

Larussa won that series and I don't think he got more than 18 innings out of his starters total. A good or creative manager can find a way to win.

I'm not saying we win if RR does either of those moves, but at least we would have had a chance. Marcum gave us no chance. It was obvious he had nothing left, everyone said it before the game began. Let's be honest, had RR done that in Boston or NY, he would not have been fired today, he would have been fired years ago.

well, reading the new updates, the decision was made before the Cubs series but they needed to find someone. It makes me backtrack. Maybe it's not Counsell. At this point, Mark may want an experienced manager.

Verified Member
Prince Fielder, PED Braun, and Nyger Morgan

Please spell his name correctly.

Typing and driving. My bad.

Electrical wires nailed to the ice. That's probably pretty safe, right?

Archived