Brewer Fanatic

Ron Roenicke relieved of managerial duties (Craig Counsell named new manager, 3 yr contract)

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
All coaches are staying....makes sense I guess even with a new guy
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

homer, Macha handled bullpens alright? I think he made it a month into his first year before he lost the team, and that's about when his stupidity lost me. I handled some awful years in my youth, but nothing was as painful as watching his teams. So I never got a chance to see his bullpen management.

I miss Yost's fire. I love Ron's logic.

I liked him.... Very honest and loyal..... I liked his use of the stolen base and the safety squeeze... I'll forever be thankful to him for 2011!

On the other side, I didn't see much change in base running idiots running into outs continuously. Righteous outrage, which could have been helpful with certain personnel situations, was not his style. Just waaaaaay too many losses in the last three months with the talent we have, even if we are just a .500 club.

Mixed emotions..... Weird timing..... Just looks like an attempt to save the season and sneak into the playoffs, which I have no problems with, by the way. It will take a miracle-like event for that to occur, however.

homer, Macha handled bullpens alright? I think he made it a month into his first year before he lost the team, and that's about when his stupidity lost me. I handled some awful years in my youth, but nothing was as painful as watching his teams. So I never got a chance to see his bullpen management.

I miss Yost's fire. I love Ron's logic.

Macha was willing to bring in a closer in the 8th inning in a high leverage situation. But he was a cold hearted curmudgeon that everyone hated.

Yost was/is awful at managing a bullpen. The closer can only be used in the 9th. The setup guy can only be used in the 8th etc. But everyone liked him. He drank lots of coffee.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Most excited I've been about the Brewers in a while.

The replacement has to be in the organization or unemployed, right? Can you take someone under contract with another organization in-season to be your manager? Gardenhire would be a total Mark move being the safe "veteran" choice. Counsel or Erickson are names that get brought up but this organization will continue to disappoint us and it will almost certainly be Narron.

I just hope they have a replacement from outside the organization in mind already, otherwise they are just reshuffling the deck chairs.

I have a hard time believing they'd schedule a next-day presser to announce someone from within the organization. Unless it's Robin, whose presence would keep ticket sales from totally tanking, but has he managed anywhere?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Starting to think it's Counsell.

Think Haudricourt has his bet in.

Tom @Haudricourt · 5m 5 minutes ago

I asked Doug Melvin if Craig Counsell was going to be the new manager and he said he couldn't comment until tomorrow.

Tom @Haudricourt · 46s 47 seconds ago

So, Melvin said he needed time to put a new manager in place. That means it's not a coach. If from inside, Craig Counsell is logical choice.

The last three managers were all very different from one another. They all managed playoff teams at some point in their career. I know this is a stretch but maybe the problem isn't the manager. All you get when you change managers every two to four years is instability. All you get when you fix the wrong thing is something that remains broken. Oh well.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Verified Member
Haudricourt tweeted that he asked if the replacement was Counsell and DM said he can't comment until tomorrow. Also, Keith Law seems to be completely baffled by this move, which makes me think we did the right thing.

I just hope they have a replacement from outside the organization in mind already, otherwise they are just reshuffling the deck chairs.

I have a hard time believing they'd schedule a next-day presser to announce someone from within the organization. Unless it's Robin, whose presence would keep ticket sales from totally tanking, but has he managed anywhere?

Does it matter? [sarcasm]Narron writes out the lineip card anyway.[/sarcasm]

Haudricourt tweeted that he asked if the replacement was Counsell and DM said he can't comment until tomorrow. Also, Keith Law seems to be completely baffled by this move, which makes me think we did the right thing.

Keith Law is in a perpetual state of bafflement.

Verified Member
I hope that Attanasio understands that the problem runs deeper..... and that's DM's lifelong contract sitting on his desk or wherever is for "Senior Adviser" or something instead of GM.

Archived