Brewer Fanatic

Ron Roenicke relieved of managerial duties (Craig Counsell named new manager, 3 yr contract)

Counsell cost them the game today by giving the hottest hitter a day of "rest". Seriously Craig? Lucroy's out. Lind and Davis are slumping. Maldonado's not hitting his weight and you're already resting Ramirez. So you give Braun a day off and you lose 2-1 wasting a fine performance by your best staring pitching?

He learned that move from RRR, who often did the same exact stupid stuff...

Sometimes a "planned" day of rest is that the player has tweaked something and needs to sit and neither the team nor the player want to acknowledge it or discuss it. I never get upset over the non-use of players because there's almost always information they know that we don't.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Braun's been so injury-prone these last couple of years that I don't mind an off-day if the manager feels it's best. I generally give the manager the benefit of the doubt on these matters; Counsell presumably has much better information than we do with regards to Braun's need for off-days and their effect on his health, so I don't have a problem with this move.

Resting Braun and Ramirez on the same day is a bit curious, but it's not exactly like Ramirez has been tearing the cover off the ball this year.

I'm also not sure how much to read into Counsell's choices right now. Seeing Luis Sardinas in the lead-off spot would typically be alarming, but given Counsell's options I can't really complain.

Archived