Brewer Fanatic

2015-05-04 Dodgers (Kershaw) at Brewers (Lohse), 6:20 PM CDT [Brewers win, 4-3]

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
Maybe im looking into things too much, but it almost feels like the Crew has a different "swagger" today post RRR. Anyone else noticing this?

ABSOLUTELY! I was thinking the same thing... and Braun just said "more energy tonight" so I think the players are feeling the difference.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I don't know how Counsell will fair in the long term, but in the short term I see the team being a lot more energized. Counsell will be a little more lively than Roenicke ever was and hopefully the team will follow suit. Counsell just seems like a good leader for this team. Going from such a boring quiet guy in Roenicke to Counsell should be really refreshing for these guys.

Also very interesting watching him manage a team he just so recently played for.

Maybe im looking into things too much, but it almost feels like the Crew has a different "swagger" today post RRR. Anyone else noticing this?

Posted this in the other thread, but do you ever recall seeing RRR bro-hugging his players after a big win like Counsell just did? I haven't either.

I think that is one of those little things that speaks a whole lot.

Big win. Big, big win. Morale is lifted. We just knocked off the best pitcher in the game after he was rolling pretty much all game. Love it. Time to catch fire Brewers. Time to catch fire.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Roenicke had no emotion...probably his biggest downfall with the players.

6 games out of a wild card...not to rain on anybody's parade but there ain't gonna be any selling going on for the immediate future, if at all.

6 games at this point in the season is a lot. They know they will be selling at the deadline...don't let that small number fool you.

You also need to realize every team in the NL is ahead of us. It isn't just one team we are chasing.

Verified Member
6 games out of a wild card...not to rain on anybody's parade but there ain't gonna be any selling going on for the immediate future, if at all.

We have to make up six games on the entire rest of the NL.

We are selling very soon. That is the whole point of bringing in Counsell, so he can oversee the rebuild.

We have to make up six games on the entire rest of the NL.

We are selling very soon. That is the whole point of bringing in Counsell, so he can oversee the rebuild.

There are 9 SUB .500 teams ahead of us, and the wild cards are 13-10 and 14-12, one of which we just took a series from in their own park. The NL is not a good league right now. This month we play 3 vs LAD, 3 vs CHC, 3 vs CWS, 3 @ NYM, 3 @ DET, 4 @ ATL, 3 vs SF, 3 vs ARZ

14 home games, 10 away games. Arizona sucks, San Francisco has looked better lately but they have been poor, the Mets are the Mets, the White Sox suck, and we should take the Cubs series.

Quite frankly, if this team gets a whiff of a "new manager" spark that happens with many teams, we could be sitting somewhere in the range of 24-26 at the end of May (a 16-8 month). Sorry but that's just what MA is looking for, and if this team looks a whole lot better under new guidance Lucroy will be coming off the DL, Gomez is cheap for another 1.5 years, and the team would be coming around as a whole. That's not a "SELL" team to Mark.

One win doesn't cure an 8-18 baseball squad, but I saw a different team out there tonight...and a team as streaky with the bats as this one is bound to swing the pendulum the other way pretty soon. The fat lady hasn't sung here yet now that RRR is gone.

The talent assembled is a .470 baseball team. Don't let the emotions of a big winning month (April 2014) or a big losing month (April 2015), cloud your judgment. Craig Counsell brings excitement, but the talent on the field needs to change for perpetual winning to return.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The talent assembled is a .470 baseball team. Don't let the emotions of a big winning month (April 2014) or a big losing month (April 2015), cloud your judgment. Craig Counsell brings excitement, but the talent on the field needs to change for perpetual winning to return.

http://www.kaneconsulting.biz/wp-content/uploads/migrated/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/debbie-downer.jpg

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Community Moderator

Homer +1. Ha.

I have to admit I got just a tiny boost of positivity after this win. I'm not looking for a lot from this team but I just want to see them look good at times. April was a tough month to watch.

It'll be interesting to see what the lineup looks like and so forth with a new manager. Interested to see if he has different ideas for where people should be placed. Not that it makes too much of a difference.

I doubt will change much at all. There is no "true leadoff" hitter on the roster and the guys who you expect to hit for power have been pretty putrid all year. Maybe he'll hit the pitcher 8th. Brewer fans heads might explode then.

Will Craig put Segura in the lead-off role once he returns to the lineup?

Homer +1. Ha.

I have to admit I got just a tiny boost of positivity after this win. I'm not looking for a lot from this team but I just want to see them look good at times. April was a tough month to watch.

We attended six games in April and the Brewers were 1-5 in them. Last night was the first actually *fun* game we'd been at since last summer (albeit more so in the latter innings). The other win we saw (4/26) was more of a relief than anything else; it was hard even to find particular joy in beating STL.

On a different note, may I suggest we adopt CJC as shorthand for Craig Counsell? Every time I've seen "CC" on this board or elsewhere online since Sunday night, I've still thought Sabathia first. It might also help me break the habit of wanting to type CRAIGGERS. ;)

Edit: An off-field highlight for me last night was seeing Bucky Badger slide down after Bernie for Hector's home run. I'm afraid the only proof that might exist is one blurry photo I took with a still camera. We saw Bucky had joined Bernie in his dugout to jump around, then stayed, and I said to the SO "Man, I'd like to see a home run so Bucky can slide." Sometimes it's the little things. :)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived