Brewer Fanatic

2015-05-03 Brewers (Nelson) at Cubs (Hammel), 1:20 PM CDT [Brewers win, 5-3]

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][game-info][h1]May 3 | 1:20 P.M.[/h1][h2]Brewers (6-18) | Cubs (13-9)[/h2][h3]FSWI, MLBN | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/cubs.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/UJVnU7X.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/eqIGf8c.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Jimmy Nelson[/pitcher][h2]1-2, 4.03 ERA, 1.12 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Cubs | Game Log[/h3][h3]Nelson will try to rebound against the Cubs after his ERA rose from 1.35 to 4.03 during a 9-6 loss to the Reds on Monday. Chris Coghlan is 4-for-6 with two doubles and a home run vs. Nelson.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Jason Hammel[/pitcher][h2]2-1, 3.55 ERA, 1.03 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Hammel threw eight shutout innings against the Pirates on Monday night. He has walked one and struck out 23 over 25 1/3 innings. The key? Fastball command. And it helps that he and catcher Miguel Montero are on the same page.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. CF Carlos Gómez ®
  2. SS Jean Segura ®
  3. RF Ryan Braun ®
  4. 1B Adam Lind (L)
  5. 3B Aramis Ramírez ®
  6. LF Khris Davis ®
  7. 2B Elián Herrera (S)
  8. C Martín Maldonado ®
  9. RHP Jimmy Nelson ®

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. CF Dexter Fowler (S)
  2. RF Jorge Soler ®
  3. 1B Anthony Rizzo (L)
  4. 3B Kris Bryant ®
  5. C Miguel Montero (L)
  6. SS Starlin Castro ®
  7. LF Chris Coghlan (L)
  8. RHP Jason Hammel ®
  9. 2B Addison Russell ®

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Nelson, Hammel to battle in series deciding game

By Adam McCalvy / MLB.com | 5/2/2015 7:26 PM ET

Brewers starter Jimmy Nelson will aim for a bounce-back outing while Cubs starter Jason Hammel seeks more of the same when the teams conclude a three-game series on Sunday at 1:20 p.m. CT

Hammel has 23 strikeouts in 25 1/3 innings this season, including seven strikeouts over eight shutout innings against the Pirates in his most recent start. He's been just as good against the Brewers, compiling a 5-0 record with a 1.85 ERA in six career starts, including a pair of scoreless starts against Milwaukee last season.

Nelson, meanwhile, is coming off a 2 1/3-innings outing in Cincinnati in which he surrendered seven runs, all earned, on six hits and five walks and a pair of wild pitches. He's 0-2 with a 5.02 ERA in four career appearances (two starts) against the Cubs.

Things to know about the game:

• The only other active pitcher with a record of 5-0 or better against the Brewers is Braves right-hander Shelby Miller, the former Cardinal. Among active pitchers who have made at least five starts against the Brewers, only Madison Bumgarner has a better ERA (1.65) than Hammel's 1.85. Hammel's ERA against the Brewers is more than a run better than his mark against his next best opponent (3.07 ERA vs. San Francisco).

• The Brewers reinstated Carlos Gomez from the disabled list on Saturday and reinstalled him as the leadoff hitter, where Gomez will likely remain for a few games.

"Maybe after he gets a few at-bats we'll talk about it more. Possibly [a run-producing spot]," manager Ron Roenicke said. "We'll see after a few days, when he's swinging it well, what other guys are doing. If everybody is doing their job, we may just leave it the way it is."

• A couple of streaks ride on this rubber match. The Cubs have not lost any of their last three series, and are seeking four straight unbeaten series for the first time since a six-series run in 2012. The Brewers are seeking their first series victory of the season after losing each of the first seven. Milwaukee is also seeking to win two in a row for the first time this season.

Verified Member

Brewers

CF Carlos Gomez

SS Jean Segura

RF Ryan Braun

1B Adam Lind

3B Aramis Ramirez

LF Khris Davis

2B Elian Herrera

C Martin Maldonado

P Jimmy Nelson

Cubs

CF Dexter Fowler

RF Jorge Soler

1B Anthony Rizzo

3B Kris Bryant

C Miguel Montero

SS Starlin Castro

LF Chris Coghlan

P Jason Hammel

2B Addison Russell

Brewers

CF Carlos Gomez ®

SS Jean Segura ®

RF Ryan Braun ®

1B Adam Lind (L)

3B Aramis Ramirez ®

LF Khris Davis ®

2B Elian Herrera (S)

C M. Maldonado ®

P Jimmy Nelson ®

Cubs

CF Dexter Fowler (S)

RF Jorge Soler ®

1B Anthony Rizzo (L)

3B Kris Bryant ®

C Miguel Montero (L)

SS Starlin Castro ®

LF Chris Coghlan (L)

P Jason Hammel ®

2B Addison Russell ®

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Shame on the Brewers' medical & coaching staffs for not pulling Segura after that HBP to his head. That you were going to risk anything with all that we now know about head injuries is disgusting. The player should not be the one making the decision to stay in the game (even though he then shortly after had to be the one to make the choice to come out).

Since you can't tell by the comments... The Brewers are winning 5-3 in the 9th
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

We win!!!!! A series win!!!

Here's to a 7 or 8 win home series too!!

Wooohoooo!!!!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Shame on the Brewers' medical & coaching staffs for not pulling Segura after that HBP to his head. That you were going to risk anything with all that we now know about head injuries is disgusting. The player should not be the one making the decision to stay in the game (even though he then shortly after had to be the one to make the choice to come out).

Evidently he became nauseous standing at first. He stayed in Chicago under a doctor's care and the rest of the team left for Milwaukee. I'm sure he has a concussion.

Evidently he became nauseous standing at first. He stayed in Chicago under a doctor's care and the rest of the team left for Milwaukee. I'm sure he has a concussion.

Appreciate the update (genuinely, don't take the rest of the tone of my post as being directed at you!). That's not surprising at all. Of course he got a concussion -- he took a big-league pitch to the head! But hey, let's let him walk it off... :angry

Verified Member

Appreciate the update (genuinely, don't take the rest of the tone of my post as being directed at you!). That's not surprising at all. Of course he got a concussion -- he took a big-league pitch to the head! But hey, let's let him walk it off... :angry

[sarcasm]Sorry, but a player's health has to take a back seat when we have a realistic chance of pulling our W% up to .280.[/sarcasm]

Yes, it was really stupid to leave him in there. I was surprised he got up so quick. I guess we can't question his grit.

Funny, while we were watching the game yesterday, we were so shocked RRR let Segura stay in the game that we said "That in and of itself is a fire-able offense."

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived