Brewer Fanatic

Open for business (part 1)

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Time for the club to win 10 in a row and make management think we still have a chance.

Blue font off.

I am a bit tired of hearing this. It has been made pretty clear through rumors and the things that Doug Melvin has said that this team is selling at the deadline. Not only that but rebuild has been thrown out there a lot. How extreme is anyone's guess, but the joke about stringing together wins and thinking they have a chance is a bit annoying at this point.

The only thing ten wins in a row will do is make management think they might get more than a bag of balls for the players they trade.

I would think a move would be made pretty soon

I think it will be with the Mets.

With the Phiilies, Braves, and Marlins down, the Mets window to compete in the NL East is OPEN. Problem is, they are not hitting.

Carlos Gomez, Aramis Ramiez, and Jean Segura are the perfect fit.

On the other hand, the Mets have what the Brewers need, young pitching.

I don't think we should undersell Segura's worth he still has multiple young cost controlled years left, and he is back to hitting well for a SS this year I counted him in the top 10 for SS OPS (I included a few guys who had significant ABs, but missed the cutoff for qualifying). That's a very valuable property in an offense starved league. Amazingly enough Aramis would be something of an upgrade at 3rd for them right now, so I could see him being thrown-in either basically as salary relief for us or maybe a low A flyer type if we kick in some money.

Which brings up a good reason for waiting to deal until after the draft, not only does it open up last year's draftees more clearly to be dealt you also have a better idea at the lower levels where you have real prospects vs. filler which is important if you want to be strategic in acquiring flyer prospect types. If they never play they won't develop.

I hope we win 10 straight as well. That would mean our players are playing well and either we slide back into a race or we are able to get more for our players in a trade.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't see Gomez being traded by the deadline as I don't see a team in need of Gomez. There will be more teams in the off season that will be looking at Gomez in a deal.

The likely players to be traded by the deadline or after include Lohse, Ramirez, Broxton, Cotts, and Garza.

Lohse should still net a lower level prospect and I still believe the Royals are a team that fits here as they have a couple of C grade prospects that they can dump that wouldn't hurt their future.

Ramirez to the Mets makes sense but just don't expect much in return you are looking at a high risk low level player in return for Ramirez think the K-Rod trade with the Orioles a few years back.

Broxton and Cotts will be traded after the deadline in waiver wire type deal will probably just be a money dump for both.

Garza to me still fits with the Dodgers being a bargain buy by the Dodgers where they will not have to give up all that much in terms of prospects to get Garza.

I don't see many major trades going down this trade deadline which makes it a buyers market for trades. I would want the Brewers to stay away from trading Segura, Gomez, or even Lucroy as I don't see teams giving up the talent needed for a good return for them.

-----

Continued here:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=32907

Archived