Brewer Fanatic

Open for business (part 1)

I will just say it; I will be really PO'd if we go 16-32 and all we do is dump Lind, Lohse, and ARam for fringe AAAA prospects and go into 2016 with this same one year older crummy team.

+1. If we dont trade Gomez I will be furious.

If we dont trade Lucroy I will be slightly less mad, but still irked.

Trading those two guys would be enough to restock the farm system if you do it right.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morneau and Lind are pretty much the same guy at this point so it'll be interesting. Lind has an affordable option for next year, is healthy today, and is younger so hopefully that pushes him up in the offer list.

Morneau had a bit of fluky road success last year but if you take out the Coors adjustment, he's a .270/.330/.460 guy probably that platoons. I'd say that's basically what Lind is with a hair more slugging/OBP but even heavier splits.

Morneau is a free agent after this season, Lind is not, and Justin is a hard sneeze away from a career ending concussion. I would think Lind has much more value than Morneau.

For two all star OFs? You'd think you could get 1 top pitching prospect like him? I'm generally in the camp that prospects are overvalued (which isn't totally accurate with Syndegaard since he's ready to go now) and if you can't get 1 top prospect in return for two all star OFs then something is wrong.

His post said Braun for Syndegaard. For both Braun and Gomez he said we should be able to get ALL of their young prospects.

For two all star OFs? You'd think you could get 1 top pitching prospect like him? I'm generally in the camp that prospects are overvalued (which isn't totally accurate with Syndegaard since he's ready to go now) and if you can't get 1 top prospect in return for two all star OFs then something is wrong.

His post said Braun for Syndegaard. For both Braun and Gomez he said we should be able to get ALL of their young prospects.

I was somewhat facetious about ALL. I would hope that's obvious. However, in the case of Braun and Gomez that is 5.5 years of control for Braun and 1.5 years on Gomez. If both are healthy that's 10 WAR per year assuming Braun goes back to LF. In the case of the Mets, their OF is brutal. What should/is that worth?

It had something about Braun + Gomez that's why I took it as both of them in a package. Either way, I guess we all agree that both would fetch quite the haul.

I saw few post of people already getting upset with the prospect of not trading Gomez. I urge some patience. I agree they should move him but it's not like management is clueless if they wait to do it until the offseason, you'll have more time to shop for the better deal and hopefully Gomez starts playing better and shows he's healthy and can be trusted to be a good hitter (that the last two years weren't flukes). If they go into next season with him and don't trade until the deadline then yea, complain away.

Rumor has it Doug Melvin wants to act early and not wait all the way to July. But that rumor also has the speculation Attanasio wants to wait until after the draft.

The draft is June 8th-10th, so not exactly a long ways off at this point. I wouldn't be shocked if they start dealing guys by the second week of June.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The earlier a player is dealt, the more value they have for the team that trades for them. Makes sense from a leverage standpoint

Also would be good to deal Carlos Gomez earlier in case he reverts more & more towards pre-2013 career norms

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I'm sure there are PR considerations too. Trading Gomez prior to his June 15th bobble head day would look idiotic the way they constantly promote it. Have to balance out all the risks in these potential trades.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm sure there are PR considerations too. Trading Gomez prior to his June 15th bobble head day would look idiotic the way they constantly promote it. Have to balance out all the risks in these potential trades.

Bobble head day should not be a consideration for how you manage your roster.

I will just say it; I will be really PO'd if we go 16-32 and all we do is dump Lind, Lohse, and ARam for fringe AAAA prospects and go into 2016 with this same one year older crummy team.

+1. If we dont trade Gomez I will be furious.

If we dont trade Lucroy I will be slightly less mad, but still irked.

Trading those two guys would be enough to restock the farm system if you do it right.

I don't know if I would trade Lucroy just yet. If the mentality is to bring up younger prospect pitchers, then they are going to need a seasoned quality veteran behind the plate. I really love the way Lucroy frames the ball and he's going to be a positive influence on the young guys coming up. I just don't see any of our other catchers in the system being anywhere close to Lucroy's overall game.

Agreed, but teams probably shy away from it when they can.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I was somewhat facetious about ALL. I would hope that's obvious. However, in the case of Braun and Gomez that is 5.5 years of control for Braun and 1.5 years on Gomez. If both are healthy that's 10 WAR per year assuming Braun goes back to LF. In the case of the Mets, their OF is brutal. What should/is that worth?

The Mets have two other pitchers at AAA that are possibly better than Syndegaard...that's scary. One of them already has two or three complete games. I highly doubt the Mets would let either one go at this point.

I don't know if I would trade Lucroy just yet. If the mentality is to bring up younger prospect pitchers, then they are going to need a seasoned quality veteran behind the plate. I really love the way Lucroy frames the ball and he's going to be a positive influence on the young guys coming up. I just don't see any of our other catchers in the system being anywhere close to Lucroy's overall game.

Few catchers in anyone's system are as good as Lucroy. That is why his trade value is tremendous

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

No, but like said by someone else you probably want to avoid doing so. It would have a lot of negative impacts towards fans. The kind of deal we can get today vs. after June 15th probably is not different at all. So why trade him before then? Yah you could make the argument that he could get injured or he may just suck the next month...but then I'd argue why didn't we trade him a month ago.

It does seem to me that Gomez is indeed the only piece we have that will net quality prospects. And it does seem to me that Mark is likely after a retool for a 2017 hope. Which means that Lucroy and Garza and Segura are not tradable. It also is clear there is no third base prospect in our organisation that looks likely to contribute in 2017. It also appears we are woeful at catcher post Lucroy (could Leal be the next big thing?). It also is clear there is no number one arm type that could be around for 2017.

So my trade of Gomez, yields the following: a AA or AAA third base prospect plus an A+ catching prospect plus an AA starter with upside.

2016 will tell you how you 'did' in your trade (and all the other minor trades... Lind, Cotts, Lohse, ARAM). Your third base prospect needs to be in Milwaukee after a month of two of 2016. Your high end starter needs to be in Milwaukee by July or so, 2016. This will tells you if you can have a decent team in 2017. If your trade was not successful, and you will know by trade deadline 2016, then Lucroy is traded for similar targets that Gomez is now. And I think Sergura would be traded as well. And KROD is traded. You are then focused on the chance 2017 can be the run up, practice, for 2018+.

So, really, our future rides very much on the prospects we get back for Gomez. I think Doug did well on the return for Grienke. And he did well on the return for Gallardo. Doug seems to be OK trading FOR prospects. He seems very poor in trading his prospects away for short term rentals.

Agreed, but teams probably shy away from it when they can.

Well, That game is versus Kansas City. Looking at their depth chart, Gomez would be a fit over Jarrod Dyson. Trade Gomez to KC and you still have Gomez bobblehead day only kinda as a farewell day too.

This is way off topic, but nobody should care about bobblehead day when it comes to making roster decisions. We gave out Hammonds bobbleheads a month after he was flat our released from the organization.

I'd be highly surprised if we traded him in the next 2 weeks, but if the right offer comes...we should take it 100% of the time.

About the only thing exciting remaining in this season is for the Rosenthal, Heyman, etc. rumors to start flying in.

I have almost zero interest in the game-to-game action other than seeing guys boost their trade value up. C'mon! I'm getting impatient, Mark/Doug!

I was just thinking about this. Let's say Lucroy and Gomez are traded. That would mean the Brewers line-up many days could have 4 guys hitting under .200. Pitchers spot, Maldy, Schafer, and Gomez/Scooter/Herrera/Sardinas.

Not saying you don't make a trade because of that, it would just have to be some sort of record to have 4 guys in the every day line-up hitting under .200 this late in the season.

About the only thing exciting remaining in this season is for the Rosenthal, Heyman, etc. rumors to start flying in.

I have almost zero interest in the game-to-game action other than seeing guys boost their trade value up. C'mon! I'm getting impatient, Mark/Doug!

Yeah, at this point, I'd much rather see the Brewers lose games with guys that may have a future than see more of the same old, same old trotted out.

Parra can play center.

Parra is a free agent after the season. He will almost certainly be traded.

That's where I was a couple of weeks ago, but I got tired of cheering for Broxton, Garza and Lohse to pitch well only to see them blown up, so I'm on to rarely watching the team and just following the news waiting to see who's traded. This is pretty sad, as I've watched nearly every game for a long time, including some really bad teams in the late 90's/early 2000's. It's not the losing so much as how dumbfounded management is wondering how they got here.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived