Brewer Fanatic

Open for business (part 1)

I don't see the point of Braun trade talks. If we're not willing to give up salary than we won't get much back. And if we send money, that makes for a pretty expensive prospect we're essentially buying. Either way it seems we'd be best off with his production, even if he is more of a pariah now.

Segura just seems like a sell-low candidate. We won't get much for a replacement-level player. Utility infielders are hard to find, especially at his price. Plus we get to keep the hope of him maybe being a late bloomer.

Segura is definitely a sell low guy. I would keep him.

Braun continues to confuse. I don't want any part of him the man and that contract, but the guy has had an incredible May, MVP caliber good. I tend to think he has significant trade value now. Offense is hard to come by, and while his contract is crippling to Milwaukee, it is nothing to big market teams. I don't know who is on his no trade list. I have to think some team will look at his May and figure the fresh start will make for a good acquisition. Boston, for example doesn't care about PED's and he would fit in nicely there. LA would as well, though we would need to take OF bad contract back as part of the deal.

Braun is a guy who is one swing away from his next oblique DL trip, so if there is a market, and i think there would be, the Brewers need to act now.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With Carlos Gomez hitting .259 with a .310 OBP and 4 HR's, I think it is just as likely that he returns to his 2012 offensive output as it is that he repeats 2013/2014 .... far better to capitalize on his value very soon before it drops
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I don't see the point of Braun trade talks. If we're not willing to give up salary than we won't get much back. And if we send money, that makes for a pretty expensive prospect we're essentially buying. Either way it seems we'd be best off with his production, even if he is more of a pariah now.

Segura just seems like a sell-low candidate. We won't get much for a replacement-level player. Utility infielders are hard to find, especially at his price. Plus we get to keep the hope of him maybe being a late bloomer.

Braun continues to confuse. I don't want any part of him the man and that contract, but the guy has had an incredible May, MVP caliber good. I tend to think he has significant trade value now. Offense is hard to come by, and while his contract is crippling to Milwaukee, it is nothing to big market teams. I don't know who is on his no trade list. I have to think some team will look at his May and figure the fresh start will make for a good acquisition. Boston, for example doesn't care about PED's and he would fit in nicely there. LA would as well, though we would need to take OF bad contract back as part of the deal.

Braun is a guy who is one swing away from his next oblique DL trip, so if there is a market, and i think there would be, the Brewers need to act now.

How is Braun's contract "crippling to Milwaukee"? The contract that is crippling is Garza's. Braun has shown over the past month that he can still produce at a level that's in line with $20 million per year. He can be traded any time over the next few seasons if he still hits. Besides, they have both Ramirez and Lohse coming off the books at the end of the year, maybe sooner if they can be dealt. Garza on the other hand is performing like a poor #5 starter and they look like they are stuck with him for the duration similar to the Cubs with Edwin Jackson.

I would agree on Segura, but it seems that everything I read says that he is one of Milwaukee's big trade chips. There must be some GMs out there that are still looking at his potential and are willing to pay for it. I personally think that Sardinas will give us similar overall production right now, so if we can get a decent return for Segura, we should jump. Another full season of sub-.700 OPS (plus less team control) might drop Segura's value.

Any trade of Braun would be to get out of the later years of the deal and deferred payments. He should be better than he's being paid for a while, but paying him that much when he's in his mid-to-late 30's, and paying him for years after he's retired will really hurt the Brewers in the future. It's kind of mind-boggling to think that we'd trade him before the extension even begins, and it would certainly change the team, but it definitely should be considered.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

No one is trading for Garza right now. I had hopes he would string together 3-4 good starts but that isn't likely to happen.

Braun's value is the highest its been since 2012. Trade assets on the way up, not the way down.

In regards to Braun I disagree that the Brewers will have to take on much salary if he continues to play this way. It would be fairly easy for a 31 year old free agent hitting like him to get a 5/100 contract on the open market.

In regards to Braun I disagree that the Brewers will have to take on much salary if he continues to play this way. It would be fairly easy for a 31 year old free agent hitting like him to get a 5/100 contract on the open market.

Braun isn't an asset with his age, general frailness, and his extension unless he is hitting the way he is hitting right now.

Right now, he has trade value, probably significant trade value. Who knows in 2016 or 2017?

Since the Brewers are currently 16-31 with no sign of life. Anyone who can bring back young, elite, controllable assets should be moved.

Braun isn't an asset with his age, general frailness, and his extension unless he is hitting the way he is hitting right now.

Right now, he has trade value, probably significant trade value. Who knows in 2016 or 2017?

Since the Brewers are currently 16-31 with no sign of life. Anyone who can bring back young, elite, controllable assets should be moved.

If Miguel Cabrera was available right now - 5/$100...would you sign him? I would if I was a competitive team fully knowing that he may not be valuable in 2019/2020. That's a steal.

Braun and Cabrera, WAR-wise, were both 5-7 WAR guys until 2013/2014 when Braun's scandal/injury hit. Cabrera is a year older. This is the best comparison I can think of off the top of my head, but you get the idea. There will be a line of teams willing to take on 5/$100.

If Miguel Cabrera was available right now - 5/$100...would you sign him? I would if I was a competitive team fully knowing that he may not be valuable in 2019/2020. That's a steal.

Braun and Cabrera, WAR-wise, were both 5-7 WAR guys until 2013/2014 when Braun's scandal/injury hit. Cabrera is a year older. This is the best comparison I can think of off the top of my head, but you get the idea. There will be a line of teams willing to take on 5/$100.

Id think so as well..right now. He goes back on the DL or back to his April ways and the answer is no.

Also, looking at the current Brewers record even with him hitting the way he has lately..AND...the current minor league performance of some of our more elite prospects and you have to strongly consider this thing needs a serious infusion of young talent. How do we bring that on? Trade current assets.

Garza's "1 bad inning" outings, almost seems like he's pitching poorly enough to keep himself from being traded.

In the month of May. Garza has given up 3ER in 6th 0ER previous 5IP, good outing of 1er in 7, 10ER in 4th following, 3ER in the 7th after allowing just 1 through 6, 3ER in 4th in 5IP outing.

He just loses it what must be the 3rd time through a lineup? That or, is he playing to stay in Milw? Playing just bad enough that no smart GM would trade him away for pretty much nothing in return currently. Only salary relief. And you know if Melvin did that, Garza will immediately become a 3ERA SP the rest of that contract and every one will wonder how possibly we let that get away for nothing.

As to Braun, look he's hitting the ball better. Just had that mammoth 474foot HR. Only the Dodgers offering Seager/Urias would I trade him. The guy is MVP of NL forthcoming again. Players are being paid 25-30million for that. Braun isn't even close. This isn't a 1month run obviously. He's back to what the Brewers paid cheaply for. On his way towards 35HRs and a .900OPS being worth 5+WAR. He had 3 Walks in April. 15 so far in May. 4HR in April(3 in last two days) 8 so far in May. His OPS was .547 after 18games. .889 now. I'm only guessing he'll be .900OPS but should he continue through the season hitting like he has in May, 1.000OPS is not even out of the question. And That likely comes with a 6.5+WAR vs just 5+WAR.

Whether your a fan or not of his, you can't deny he's a special hitter in the current MLB. He's 18th overall now in OPS tied for 6th in HR. Clearly a Championship 1st team level player.

I tend to think Garza is better suited towards pitching in a pitcher's park (which I suppose could be said about anybody). I think he could have success pitching in LA or Seattle or San Diego
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Garza's "1 bad inning" outings, almost seems like he's pitching poorly enough to keep himself from being traded.

In the month of May. Garza has given up 3ER in 6th 0ER previous 5IP, good outing of 1er in 7, 10ER in 4th following, 3ER in the 7th after allowing just 1 through 6, 3ER in 4th in 5IP outing.

He just loses it what must be the 3rd time through a lineup? That or, is he playing to stay in Milw? Playing just bad enough that no smart GM would trade him away for pretty much nothing in return currently. Only salary relief. And you know if Melvin did that, Garza will immediately become a 3ERA SP the rest of that contract and every one will wonder how possibly we let that get away for nothing.

As to Braun, look he's hitting the ball better. Just had that mammoth 474foot HR. Only the Dodgers offering Seager/Urias would I trade him. The guy is MVP of NL forthcoming again. Players are being paid 25-30million for that. Braun isn't even close. This isn't a 1month run obviously. He's back to what the Brewers paid cheaply for. On his way towards 35HRs and a .900OPS being worth 5+WAR. He had 3 Walks in April. 15 so far in May. 4HR in April(3 in last two days) 8 so far in May. His OPS was .547 after 18games. .889 now. I'm only guessing he'll be .900OPS but should he continue through the season hitting like he has in May, 1.000OPS is not even out of the question. And That likely comes with a 6.5+WAR vs just 5+WAR.

Whether your a fan or not of his, you can't deny he's a special hitter in the current MLB. He's 18th overall now in OPS tied for 6th in HR. Clearly a Championship 1st team level player.

I am no fan of Braun's anymore obviously, but the guy is absolutely killing the ball.

Now is the time to trade him. If the Brewers key prospects were showing any signs of life Id listen to keeping him, but now there is no way. The list of key players trending down vs up on the farm is really disturbing. The farm isnt working. Time to give the team a shot in the arm.

I am no fan of Braun's anymore obviously, but the guy is absolutely killing the ball.

Now is the time to trade him. If the Brewers key prospects were showing any signs of life Id listen to keeping him, but now there is no way. The list of key players trending down vs up on the farm is really disturbing. The farm isnt working. Time to give the team a shot in the arm.

I just worry more or less that Braun is once again a top 5-10 Batter for MLB and a trade right now due to 2014 and Peds would net something like he's a top 40-50 batter. Selling too low. You'd have to think a Braun trade would happen right near the deadline if not on it so he's going to have 2 more months to prove this current form is really his ability and not just a hot 1month stretch.

It is kinda hard finding the teams that would really use a Braun for upgrade. He is of course an upgrade, but is it enough of an upgrade over what you're replacing him with and the cost in prospects? I'm just not sure if a team should look to fill their OF if their current one is around 765-850OPS. And the Grey area of 735-764? Arizona. Would replacing Ender Incierte for Braun be worth it? at the cost of say Jake Lamb, Braden Shipley or Aaron Blair, plus a couple other prospects? I don't think their pitching is strong enough...though its early on Bradley and Patrick Corbin will return at some point in June...so there's going to be a month+ to determine if Bradley/Corbin are capable to seek out a trade for a playoff push.

I just worry more or less that Braun is once again a top 5-10 Batter for MLB and a trade right now due to 2014 and Peds would net something like he's a top 40-50 batter. Selling too low. You'd have to think a Braun trade would happen right near the deadline if not on it so he's going to have 2 more months to prove this current form is really his ability and not just a hot 1month stretch.

It is kinda hard finding the teams that would really use a Braun for upgrade. He is of course an upgrade, but is it enough of an upgrade over what you're replacing him with and the cost in prospects? I'm just not sure if a team should look to fill their OF if their current one is around 765-850OPS. And the Grey area of 735-764? Arizona. Would replacing Ender Incierte for Braun be worth it? at the cost of say Jake Lamb, Braden Shipley or Aaron Blair, plus a couple other prospects? I don't think their pitching is strong enough...though its early on Bradley and Patrick Corbin will return at some point in June...so there's going to be a month+ to determine if Bradley/Corbin are capable to seek out a trade for a playoff push.

I look at NYM as the most likely spot. Their OF offense is brutal (728, 594, 710 OPS) and Braun would be a huge upgrade for them. They have a farm system that fits. I don't see them giving up Syndegraad but you never know. A Gomez + Braun trade would net us virtually every key young player/prospect they have and set us up for years.

For two all star OFs? You'd think you could get 1 top pitching prospect like him? I'm generally in the camp that prospects are overvalued (which isn't totally accurate with Syndegaard since he's ready to go now) and if you can't get 1 top prospect in return for two all star OFs then something is wrong.

Unfortunately the only Brewer with huge value as of today is Gomez.

Lucroy is still out. Garza and Lohse have been horrible. Lind is slumping.

Hopefully the Cards pick up Morneau and Lind is the only guy available at 1b in July.

A-Ram has an almost 900 ops over the last month. If he keeps it up, somebody might bite on him.

K-Rod definitely has some value. As long as he doesn't melt down in June, Doug will get offers for him. Teams always want a closer type reliever to help with playoff run, and it's not like he's getting overworked here.

They won't get a top prospect for either of them, but maybe they can get a high-risk, high-ceiling type in return.

Morneau and Lind are pretty much the same guy at this point so it'll be interesting. Lind has an affordable option for next year, is healthy today, and is younger so hopefully that pushes him up in the offer list.

Morneau had a bit of fluky road success last year but if you take out the Coors adjustment, he's a .270/.330/.460 guy probably that platoons. I'd say that's basically what Lind is with a hair more slugging/OBP but even heavier splits.

I will just say it; I will be really PO'd if we go 16-32 and all we do is dump Lind, Lohse, and ARam for fringe AAAA prospects and go into 2016 with this same one year older crummy team.

Archived