Brewer Fanatic

Jonathan Lucroy Trade Challenge

The Angels also acquired Skaggs and Hector Santiago FWIW. Skaggs was a #2/#3 rotation guy prospect and Santiago was a #5 prospect type guy and a much smaller acquisition, but he's one of those guys that is a #5 pitcher and could turn into a #2/#3 if he got his stuff under control. Right now has a 2.41 ERA but probably isn't going to stick at that, as he has nearly a 4.00 FIP.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
As far as a Lucroy trade, how about a deal with the Angels. Obviously Newcomb would have to be a PTBNL unless the trade took place after this year's draft.

Angels get:

Jonathan Lucroy, C

Bullpen Arm

Brewers get:

Andrew Heaney, LHP

Sean Newcomb, LHP

Kyle Kubitza, 3B

Carlos Perez, C

I'd love Heaney and Newcomb. They slot in your rotation within a year. Kubitza is interesting - strikes out a bit too much, not quite enough power. Could develop, but you never know with this kind of player.

While I love the idea of acquiring two high level arms, I'm not sure the Angels would part with both players. They have some serious long term rotation issues - and this would gut their system (which is not good) of impact talent. Doesn't mean you can't try. The worse thing that happens is they say 'no'.

With McCann struggling as he ages and the Yankees needing some pitching depth near-term, how about this one?

Yankees get:

Jonathan Lucroy

Matt Garza

Brewers get:

Brian McCann

Luis Severino

Aaron Judge

Jacob Lindgren

*Note* I may be asking for too much on the prospect side from the Yankees - I'm not extremely familiar with their system and could be talked down (or you guys could convince me we aren't getting enough)

Why for the Yankees:

-They clearly signed McCann thinking they were getting a catcher that was going to thrive hitting bombs over that short porch in RF. He seems to be not aging well. His money is dumped on the Brewers and can be offloaded into maybe extending Lucroy down the road.

-They need some pitching depth short-term. They can have Lohse instead if they want to, but some of this motivation is that Garza can be the 4/5 this year as well as be the bottom of the rotation guy going forward.

Why for the Brewers:

-I don't care about McCann as a catcher going forward and am fully aware he's paid big until 2018. He catches as a stopgap for now in a platoon situation. As soon as Lind is dealt, McCann gets a 1B glove and rarely goes back behind the plate. He could be flipped again if the Brewers can freshen his legs at 1B and have him become a good platoon hitter there. If not, taking on his contract is the cost for getting stud prospects.

-The package I have created has a potential ace (I'm not sure the Yankees are willing to part with him), a slugging OF, and a starting rotation prospect.

I think this is somewhat fair for the Yankees getting an AS catcher in his prime. The Brewers eat what looks like to be a bad contract (he rots or is attempted to be groomed into a trade piece as they rebuild) and the Yankees eat a slightly better contract but get a functional pitcher in return.

ETA: Looking at McCann's contract, the 2019 part does scare me but I'd still do it (assuming Mark is less likely to). It is a deal that may likely vest and also might need to be reworded if the Brewers move his position. Plus, he has a full no-trade clause, so this thing becomes tougher to see happening.

That trade would be questionable with McCann not in it. There is no way the Brewers take on what likely is $17mil in dead weight through at least 2018. It would not make any sense.

Yankees would be laughing all the way to the bank if they were offered that.

Why? The Brewers give up $13/year through 2018 in Garza's contract (plus Luc's $) in that trade and get one of the top pitching prospects in baseball as well as 2 good prospects.

Brewers can try to work with McCann as a platoon 1B and try to flip him again later (in 2017 deal him and pay for 2018 for a prospect).

Why? The Brewers give up $13/year through 2018 in Garza's contract (plus Luc's $) in that trade and get one of the top pitching prospects in baseball as well as 2 good prospects.

Brewers can try to work with McCann as a platoon 1B and try to flip him again later (in 2017 deal him and pay for 2018 for a prospect).

Lucroy can get all three of the names you mentioned alone. There is no reason to pick up dead weight to make a deal happen. I also don't see McCann having any real value in 2017 as a platoon 1B.

It's possible McCann has that value, but even if he doesn't, it's kinda a crap for slightly less crap swap in value.

Trade is basically

2.5 years of cheap LuCroy for

Severinas - Ace potential - 6 years of control

Judge - Potential great hitter - 6 years of control

Oh, by the way, since you now really don't need McCann and need pitching, we'll swap Garza (3/$40) for McCann (either 3/51 or 4/68). As a cost of doing that, give us another young pitcher to add to our stable. Maybe the Yanks throw in $10 million.

Even if McCabb ends up being completely dead money, I'm OK with taking on salary and filling my strategy is to be OK with taking on money (within reason) to nab players to fill my farm system. If I'm doing a full rebuild, the only signings I'm making are a 1 year, $3 million flyer on Matt Joyce to see if I can flip him next deadline for a Knebel-type player. I'm OK absorbing a few contracts to get value given that I'm adding no new money, shedding my current big deals, and all of my players will be pre-arbitration guys.

But if you honestly think Luc can get all 3 of those guys (an ace/ a #3 starter/ and a very good corner OF bat) by himself and all of those guys have 6 years of control...the sure, take out the salary dump. I'd still take on a salary burden from somebody to fill my minors system even more (within reason - like Garza for McCann which is the difference of 1 year and 20-25 million (not paying Luc makes it nearly a wash $-wise) but I'm going super cheap and planning on selling off McCann in 2 years for pennies on the dollar).

Archived