Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Wednesday 4/29

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wednesday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: Idle

Biloxi: RHP Jorge Lopez at Pensacola (Reds), 6:05 PM pre-game, 6:35 gametime; expect LHP Luis Ortega to see action in a tandem role

Free Live Audio Link

We also welcome Chris Harris as the very first play-by-play voice of the Shuckers! Follow Chris on Twitter @CHarris731. We'll be looking off to his very promising "Shuck Dynasty" blog. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be radio broadcast.

MiLB.TV - Seven of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games, and Biloxi staff indicates it is hopeful it will be eight when the new stadium opens.

NOTE: This series from Pensacola is airing on MiLB.TV, nice.

Brevard County: Idle

Wisconsin: RHP Milton Gomez at Clinton (Mariners), 11:40 AM pre-game, 12:00 PM gametime

Free Live Audio Link - WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

NOTE: Forty-two (!) of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (9) and WACY-TV My NEW32 (34) will split duties. We'll let you know when and who, and remember to refer to the Rattlers' full TV schedule so you can coordinate your DVR activity.

So, for the $49.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sky Sox games, most Shuckers games, and all Timber Rattlers home games and some road games. We'll let you know when a Wisconsin road series is available via MiLB.TV.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Look for these just prior to the respective game times --

Biloxi Media Notes - Linked on the Shuck Dynasty blog

Wisconsin Media Notes - Linked on the Rattler Radio blog

STANDINGS:

AAA - Pacific Coast League American Northern Division

AA - Southern League South Division

High-A - Florida State League North Division

A - Midwest League Western Division

Sortable individual stat pages:

Colorado Springs

Biloxi

Brevard County

Wisconsin

Weather.com:

Pensacola, FL

Clinton, IA

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Probably should have better detailed RHP Corey Knebel's rough inning last night, since it was his first tough moment as a Brewer farmhand - he entered in a 3-3 game, 7th inning of a game scheduled for seven:

Iowa Top of the 7th

Jonathan Mota singles on a ground ball to left fielder Matt Long.

Arismendy Alcantara out on a sacrifice bunt, first baseman Matt Clark to second baseman Pete Orr. Jonathan Mota to 2nd.

Adron Chambers strikes out swinging, catcher Robinzon Diaz to first baseman Matt Clark.

Corey Knebel intentionally walks Mike Baxter.

With Chris Valaika batting, wild pitch by Corey Knebel, Jonathan Mota to 3rd. Mike Baxter to 2nd.

Chris Valaika walks.

Rafael Lopez doubles (3) on a fly ball to center fielder Ben Guez. Jonathan Mota scores. Mike Baxter scores. Chris Valaika scores.

Christian Villanueva strikes out swinging.

: Colorado Springs Tuesday pre-game interview with outfielder and Brewers' 40-man roster member Shane Peterson

VIDEO: Ben Guez whacks a double in Colorado Springs' 7-1 Game One loss to Iowa

VIDEO: Luis Sardinas doubles in Colorado Springs' 6-3 Game Two loss to Iowa

VIDEO: Biloxi's Nick Shaw rips a two-out triple in the ninth inning of a 6-2 win over Pensacola

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers announce Scooter Gennett will play in this weekend's games with the Timber Ratlers (Friday - Monday), eligible to come off the DL Tuesday with his hand stitches issue.

Scooter spent the 2010 season in Wisconsin:

http://www.milb.com/images/2011/01/12/njsWpTcp.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rare rule, home run welcome Neuhaus back

Vision troubles gone, Brewers prospect plates three, out on weird play

By Kelsie Heneghan / MiLB.com

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/3/2/0/121329320/cuts/Tucker_Neuhaus_budavcbs_64wftk48.jpg

Prior to Wednesday, Tucker Neuhaus had three homers and one triple in his two-year career. (Mike Janes Photo / Four Seam Images)

Usually when players say they aren't seeing the ball well, it means they're slumping. For Tucker Neuhaus, it meant he literally wasn't seeing the ball.

In his first game back since a trip to Milwaukee to get glasses, the Brewers third-base prospect went 3-for-5 with a homer and three RBIs for Class A Wisconsin, and the first of his three RBIs came on a play that forced the umpires to dig deep into their rule books.

"I was excited to get back. I was itching to get back out there and I got an opportunity and did well today," he said after the 10-2 win over Clinton at the LumberJacks' Ashford University Field. "I really wasn't trying to do too much -- just try to get in the swing of things. My swing felt good, I was on time. Good results."

A couple months ago, Neuhaus noticed that the vision in his right eye got significantly worse at night. The 19-year-old played on Opening Day, going 0-for-3 with three strikeouts, but it wasn't just dominating pitching that got him out.

"Something with my eye was wrong, and the first game I was seeing the ball well while the sun was still out and then once it got dark, my vision went bad," he said. "I have some Oakley sports glasses that I got."

In his first game back, Neuhaus tied a career high with three RBIs, the first coming in the first inning on an unusual force out. With the bases loaded and one out, Neuhaus, the No. 5 hitter, hit a grounder to second baseman Gianfranco Wawoe.

"[Dustin DeMuth] slid [into second], had a nice aggressive slide. [Wawoe] threw the ball away and I went to second," he said. "[DeMuth] was just walking off the field and I guess Clinton thought he was just another baserunner who hadn't been called out yet, so they tagged him and they ended up calling him out on a force out at second and then for I think obstruction or interference as well.

"So that was one of the craziest [plays] I had ever seen."

Neuhaus had advanced to third on the throwing error but was ruled for the final out, since DeMuth was ruled to have confused the defense in violation of Rule 7.09 ©. Two runs had already scored, though, and Neuhaus had an RBI.

Things settled down for the rest of the game, but it was still a special contest for the 2013 first-round pick. In the seventh, Neuhaus smacked his first triple since 2013.

"It felt real good off the bat -- hit it to center. I thought it had a chance to go out, but I wasn't sure, so I was running hard," he said. "I saw it short-hop the wall, and the outfielder dove for it. I had the whole play in front of me, just coasted into third, so I felt good."

He capped off Wisconsin's rout in the ninth with a two-run homer to right, tying his career mark for RBIs.

"I was just sitting fastball and getting my timing down and just got the pitch that I was looking for and put a good swing on it," he said. "In games, I don't even pay attention to the stats or what's going on -- I'm just trying to get a good pitch and hit it and have a good team at-bat and let the stats worry about themselves."

Though the third baseman made two errors, he is not worried since he's focused on getting reacquainted with the tempo of the game.

Milton Gomez (1-1) held Clinton to one run on three hits and three walks while fanning five across five innings to pick up his first win of the season.

LumberKings starter Lukas Schiraldi (1-2) took the loss. He allowed seven runs -- two earned -- on four hits and three walks while notching six punchouts in 4 1/3 innings.

Rattlers break out the offense in 10-2 win over Clinton

Neuhaus has three hits & three RBI in return to lineup

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

CLINTON, IA - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers had their highest offensive output of the season on Wednesday afternoon at Ashford University Field and beat the Clinton LumberKings 10-2. Tucker Neuhaus celebrated his return from the disabled list with three hits, including a home run, and three RBI to pace the offense.

Wisconsin (7-13) had Gregory Munoz and Monte Harrison draw walks to start the game and the first of five Clinton errors loaded the bases with no outs. Clinton starter Lukas Schiraldi got a strikeout for the first out of the inning. Then, things got weird.

Neuhaus sent a grounder to second baseman Francisco Wawoe, who stepped on second to force Dustin DeMuth. The throw to first was wild and both Munoz and Harrison scored. Neuhaus reached second base as DeMuth was jogging to third. The umpires ruled the runs as crossing the plate, but Neuhaus was out due to DeMuth trying to confuse the defense (Rule 7.09 (e)). That's how the inning ended.

The Rattlers added to their lead thanks to another error in the third inning. What would have been the third out of the inning, turned out to be a bad throw and Mitch Meyer scored from third on the play.

Clinton (7-13) cut into the lead in the bottom of the third when Wawoe scored from third on a wild pitch by Wisconsin starter Milton Gomez. But, that was the only run Gomez would allow. He went five innings and struck out five while allowing just three hits.

The Rattlers scored three times in the top of the fourth inning to take control of the game. Neuhaus was on third and scored when Schiraldi balked. Later in the inning, the bases were loaded with one out when the LumberKings misplayed another potential inning-ending double play with a bad throw to first and two runs scored for a 6-1 lead.

Greg McCall came through with a conventional RBI single in the fifth inning to make it 7-1.

In the sixth, DeMuth's RBI double with two outs scored Harrison from first base and the Rattlers were up 8-1.

Clinton scored their second run of the game in the sixth inning against reliever Luis Ortega on an RBI fielder's choice off the bat of Martin Peguero.

Neuhaus closed out the scoring with a two-run home run in the top of the ninth.

The Rattlers previous high for runs in a game this season was five.

Game three of the series is another afternoon game. Wisconsin has named Angel Ventura (1-0, 0.75) as their starting pitcher. Jefferson Medina (0-1, 4.50) is set to go for the LumberKings. Game time on Wednesday afternoon is noon. The radio broadcast is on AM1280, WNAM starting with the Miller Lite Pregame Show at 11:40am. The broadcast is also available on the internet through Tune In Radio.

Wisconsin Boxscore

Well this would have been a fun one to listen to... LAME WORK! There isn't much I can add since I missed out on the audio and the 2 game stories covered everything else. I guess there is something now that I've thought on it a bit, today's performance was the Tucker Neuhaus I had hoped the Brewers drafted. Hopefully this is a sign of better things to come.

David Denson got a much needed breather today.

Wisconsin Recap

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I sometimes wonder how many of these guys need glasses. We all think of the scene in Major League. But I think we've heard of Bill Hall and others that had let their vision slip without getting to the eye doctor.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
I sometimes wonder how many of these guys need glasses. We all think of the scene in Major League. But I think we've heard of Bill Hall and others that had let their vision slip without getting to the eye doctor.

Always wanted to ask Reid Nichols / Gord Ash about that -- basically, every single player should have an eye health / vision exam, coordinated by the organization, within a day or two of arrival in camp. You would think that would be an industry standard philosophy, but I have no idea.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Biloxi 5, Pensacola 3

Shuckers hold on for 5-3 win and take five of six from Wahoos

Yadiel Rivera extends his on-base streak to 19 games

Biloxi Shuckers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/2/6/0/121407260/cuts/DSC07544_c4rl7gy3_my1104z0.JPG

Jorge Lopez tossed six shutout innings and picked up his second win (Photo by John Shadrick)

PENSACOLA, FLA. - The Shuckers scored three runs in the first inning on Wednesday night and held on, despite a late rally from Pensacola to win the series finale, 5-3 at Pensacola Bayfront Stadium. The Shuckers won their third straight game and took five of six from Pensacola, remaining atop the Southern League South Division, leading Mobile by 1.5 games. Biloxi opens a big five-game set with the BayBears (Diamondbacks) starting on Thursday night in Huntsville, Alabama. The win also moved the Shuckers to 11-0 in nine-inning games this season. The Shuckers have dominated the Blue Wahoos this season, winning eight of the 10 meetings.

The first four batters of the game for Biloxi reached safely. Nathan Orf (1x4, R, BB) reached with a leadoff walk, which was followed back-to-back singles from Yadiel Rivera (2x5, RBI, R) and Orlando Arcia (2x5, RBI, R) that plated a run. Nick Ramirez (1x3, 2 RBI, R, 2 BB) followed with a two-run single that brought home Rivera and Arcia giving the Shuckers a 3-0 lead. The hit by Rivera extended his on-base streak to a league-leading 19 games (all games he has played) and Ramirez rose to first in the league in RBIs with now 14 on the campaign.

The Shuckers' bats went quiet against Pensacola starter Wandy Peralta (L, 1-2) after the first, striking out seven times and picking up just two more hits over the next four innings.

Jorge Lopez (W, 2-2) allowed back-to-back singles in the second, but that would be the only trouble the 22-year-old right-hander would face through his six-shutout innings. On the night, Lopez walked three along with the two hits and struck out a season-high five. He hasn't allowed a run in his last 11 innings on the mound.

Biloxi (14-6) tacked on runs in the seventh and eighth on an RBI double by Michael Reed (2x5, 2B) and an RBI single by Rivera to give the Shuckers a 5-0 cushion.

Big-league rehabber Jim Henderson (IP, H) made his third appearance out of the bullpen for Biloxi and allowed one hit on 19 pitches.

Pensacola (5-14) would not go down quietly though, rallying for three runs in the bottom of the eighth versus reliever Tanner Poppe (0.1 IP, 3 H, 3 R, BB, SO) Sean Buckley belted a two-run home run to center and Juan Perez added an RBI double. Austin Ross (0.2 IP, SO) came on to stop the bleeding with a runner at second and one out and sat down Chris Berset on strikes and retired Beau Amaral on a groundout to second. The three runs in the eighth allowed stopped a string of 16.1 innings from the bullpen without giving up a run.

Wirfin Obispo (SV, IP, 2 BB) locked down the victory in the ninth with his fourth save in four chances, getting some help from second baseman Orlando Arcia turning a pivotal double play in the inning.

Biloxi will head to Huntsville and serve as the home team, taking on the Mobile BayBears in a battle of the top two teams in the Southern League South Division for a five-game series starting on Thursday. LHP Brent Suter (1-0, 3.24) will take the mound for the Shuckers in game one while RHP Gabirel Arias (3-0, 1.37) will start for the BayBears. First pitch is scheduled for 6:40 PM and can be heard starting at 6:10 with the Beau Rivage Biloxi Shuckers Pregame Show on 1240-AM WGCM, 1580-AM WPMO and the Biloxi Shuckers Radio Network. Fans can also listen to the game using the TuneIn Radio app or by going to www.biloxishuckers.com.

Biloxi Box Score

Hopefully we find out this dominance of Pensacola (Reds) is all Biloxi and not just a really weak Cincinnati AA club. Each of the first seven Shuckers in the lineup reached base at least twice in this one (the club did strand ten).

Biloxi Game Log

Pensacola Bottom of the 9th

Pitching Change: Wirfin Obispo replaces Austin Ross, batting 9th.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch-hitter Marquez Smith replaces Ben Klimesh.

Marquez Smith walks.

Jesse Winker walks.

Sean Buckley pops out to second baseman Orlando Arcia.

Ryan Wright flies into a double play, right fielder Michael Reed to first baseman Nick Ramirez. Marquez Smith doubled off 1st.

Pensacola Blue Wahoos first baseman Marquez Smith ejected by 1B umpire Adam Beck.

Pensacola Blue Wahoos Manager Pat Kelly ejected by 1B umpire Adam Beck.

See, we can't always trust the game log. It was Orlando Arcia, not Michael Reed, with the catch and throw, apparently a fine play, and this article talks about the ejections.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Lopez makes it look easy for Shuckers

Brewers' No. 12 prospect strikes out five over six scoreless innings

By Robert Emrich / MiLB.com

Jorge Lopez stopped fighting himself and started conquering the opposition.

The Brewers' No. 12 prospect yielded two hits over six scoreless innings to win his second straight start Wednesday night as Double-A Biloxi defeated Pensacola, 5-3.

Lopez (2-2) struck out five, issued three walks and hit a batter, throwing 54 of 91 pitches for strikes.

"Tonight was the first time that he really got into his delivery," Shuckers pitching coach Chris Hook said. "I thought the ball was coming out of his hand well, his fastball was 92-96 mph and he had a nice angle on it. To me, when he is so clean in his delivery, the ball comes out free and easy. He's got angle and velocity -- it's a tough combo for any hitter."

The Puerto Rico native had only eight strikeouts in his first three starts, making Wednesday's total even more impressive. Hook thought he could have had more.

"Tonight, his curveball was really, really good," he said. "I thought he could have had a few more punchouts, but he tried to pick some corners and got into deeper counts."

While Lopez has posted back-to-back scoreless outings, Hook said he thought this was the best the 2011 second-round pick has looked this season.

"Our previous game in Jackson, he fought himself in that. It wasn't as easy as it was tonight," he said. "He had all three pitches tonight: the curveball was a plus and his changeup was around the strike zone. If he can continue to do this, he'll do well in the Southern League."

With the success of Wednesday fresh on his mind, Lopez just needs to continue to believe in himself, his pitching coach said.

"I think he needs to know with his stuff he can really dominate hitters," Hook said. "I think that's the next step. He needs to take the bull by the horns and realize that confidence. He has the ability to pitch extremely well on any night in any league with his stuff."

Brewers right-hander Jim Henderson, rehabbing an injured pitching shoulder, gave up one hit in the seventh. Tanner Poppe surrendered three runs on three hits while recording one out in the eighth, Austin Ross got out of the inning and Wirfin Obispo tossed a hitless ninth for his fourth save.

Brewers top prospect Orlando Arcia was 2-for-5 with an RBI and Nick Ramirez plated a pair of runs for the Shuckers.

Sean Buckley slugged his first Double-A homer, a two-run shot, for the Blue Wahoos.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Oh look, another matinee! Will need to hustle Thursday's Link Report out prior to the Wisconsin noon affair.

That's OK, audio with Chris Mehring at lunchtime, and no big league game tonight, so sample the other affiliates this evening between your NBA Bucks moments.

Archived