Brewer Fanatic

Trade with the Mets

Kevin Plawecki is who I would target in a trade with the Mets. Once we get our catcher prospect we could move Lucroy for a hoard of pitching talent.

CF Carlos Gomez

for

C Kevin Plawecki

1B Dominic Smith

RHP Marcos Molina

RHP Casey Meisner

@WiscoSportsNut

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about going after Wheeler? Yes he just had TJ but the guy has #2/3 stuff. Para and Aram for Wheeler?

Trading a guy with #2/3 stuff for a 4th OF playing above his career norms and a broken down 3B (both of which are playing on the last year of the deals, and the latter is retiring) might be enough to get their GM fired within minutes of informing ownership.

I think any deal with the Mets for pitching will have to include Segura and/or Gomez as centerpieces.

Gruber Lawffices

For a guy who is 25 and has yet to live up to his 2/3 billing and is out for the next year with TJ? They need OF help asap. Parra gives them that cheaply. Wright is on and off the DL Aram gives them a vet bat who can play 3rd.

One thing that makes me laugh - the Mets are downplaying pretty much anyone the Brewers have right now. "We weren't impressed", blah, blah, blah.

Really? Then why do they keep sending scouts to watch Milwaukee?

It's not hard to find a scout from another team who will tell you who was where on the road.

One of the more realistic fans on a Mets board suggest RHP Michael Fulmer for Parra.

Fulmer was a supplemental first rounder out of HS in 2011. and he's been lights out recently for AA Binghamton (0.59 ERA in last 5 starts) Given his age (22), relative proximity (likely within a year) to the majors and recent record of success, this is exactly the type of prospect they need to be asking for Parra.

Mets are one team with the depth in young pitching that can afford to surrender of prospect of Fullmer's pedigree. That's why I think Mets of all teams out there might be best trading partner for arms.

One of the more realistic fans on a Mets board suggest RHP Michael Fullmer for Parra.

Fullmer was a supplemental first rounder out of HS in 2011. and he's been lights out recently for AA Binghamton (0.59 ERA in last 5 starts) Given his age (22), relative proximity (likely within a year) to the majors and recent record of success, this is exactly the type of prospect they need to be asking for Parra.

Mets are one team with the depth in young pitching that can afford to surrender of prospect of Fullmer's pedigree. That's why I think Mets of all teams out there might be best trading partner for arms.

I've had my eye on Fulmer since I started looking at Mets prospects. He throws hard and has good stuff but he doesn't have the control. I just worry that he will be Hellweg 2.0. And to me, it doesn't matter where a guy was drafted. It doesn't matter if some guy was a 1st round pick years ago if he hasn't backed it up. That being said, it's not a bad starting point. I would take Fulmer and maybe have them throw someone else in, like Casey Meisner.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Rotoworld says the Mets are looking at ARam and Jean.

ARam should have a lot more value than we'd think. He is hot the last month and plays a position of huge need without a contract obligation past the season. He should bring a B prospect.

I wouldnt trade Segura unless I was overwhelmed. SS are tough to find and he is a decent one.

One of the more realistic fans on a Mets board suggest RHP Michael Fullmer for Parra.

Fulmer was a supplemental first rounder out of HS in 2011. and he's been lights out recently for AA Binghamton (0.59 ERA in last 5 starts) Given his age (22), relative proximity (likely within a year) to the majors and recent record of success, this is exactly the type of prospect they need to be asking for Parra.

I've had my eye on Fulmer since I started looking at Mets prospects. He throws hard and has good stuff but he doesn't have the control. I just worry that he will be Hellweg 2.0. And to me, it doesn't matter where a guy was drafted. It doesn't matter if some guy was a 1st round pick years ago if he hasn't backed it up. That being said, it's not a bad starting point. I would take Fulmer and maybe have them throw someone else in, like Casey Meisner.

Fulmer has a BB per 9 IP rate of 3.1 which is exactly half of Hellweg's career rate of 6.2. This season it's 2.4. Hellweg's minor league career WHIP is over 1.5. Fulmer's is 1.28 How are they comparable again? Parra isn't going to get both Fulmer and Meisner back. Now if you coupled Segura with Parra, then yes go for both, and maybe another lesser player like a Ceciliani who could compete for CF job post Gomez.

Fulmer would likely crack the top 5 or 6 in Brewer prospect list. If they can get that for Parra, I'm ok with that.

The Mets and Brewers have recently had trade talks in which both third baseman Aramis Ramirez and shortstop Jean Segura were discussed, Jon Morosi of FOX Sports reports on Twitter.

If we are getting rid of Jean then we need Urena + a pitcher back

Fulmer has a BB per 9 IP rate of 3.1 which is exactly half of Hellweg's career rate of 6.2. This season it's 2.4. Hellweg's minor league career WHIP is over 1.5. Fulmer's is 1.28 How are they comparable again? Parra isn't going to get both Fulmer and Meisner back. Now if you coupled Segura with Parra, then yes go for both, and maybe another lesser player like a Ceciliani who could compete for CF job post Gomez.

Fulmer would likely crack the top 5 or 6 in Brewer prospect list. If they can get that for Parra, I'm ok with that.

Notice I said I worry that he will be Hellweg 2.0, not that he is. Last year Fulmer had a WHIP of 1.55. Yes it's down this year and that's good but is he capable of keeping it up? I haven't seen him pitch so I'm just going off of his stats and what scouts say. And what I've read is that he can lack control at times. A hard thrower that lacks control? Sorry but Hellweg came to mind. That is how they are comparable.

Weren't you the one who said that we should try to maximize Parra's trade value? Well I agreed with you that Fulmer would be a good starting point but I wouldn't jump at the first deal. Hence I said, maybe try to get someone else.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

"Hellweg's minor league career WHIP is over 1.5. Fulmer's is 1.28 How are they comparable again?"

C'mon guys - no need for constant "I've got a bigger ball of knowledge than you" comments. Disagreement is ok...but kicks to the groin seem too much...no?

That said, I'm really with JohnBriggs here...Fulmer is exactly the pitcher/type that I would go for from the Mets. They can afford to part with an arm to make a run at it this year. I'd ask for another Rookie level or low A arm as well though...

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

C'mon guys - no need for constant "I've got a bigger ball of knowledge than you" comments. Disagreement is ok...but kicks to the groin seem too much...no?

Should that be "bigger balls of knowledge..." - especially if a kick in the groin is involved.

:)

Rotoworld says the Mets are looking at ARam and Jean.

ARam should have a lot more value than we'd think. He is hot the last month and plays a position of huge need without a contract obligation past the season. He should bring a B prospect.

I wouldnt trade Segura unless I was overwhelmed. SS are tough to find and he is a decent one.

I get not just giving Segura away, but he's back hitting like crap and we has SS depth in the minors. He should be shopped.

Verified Member

SS Jean Segura

3B Aramis Ramirez

Brewers pay all or most of A-Ram's remaining salary

for

CF Brandon Nimmo

RHP Michael Fulmer

RHP Marcos Molina

If they don't like it they can take a hike.

What is it going to take before people realize Segura is nothing special? Outside of his 2-3 month hot streak in 2013 he has been well below average with the bat and his defense really isn't anything special. I really just don't see the excitement that makes him worth a really good prospect(Nimmo etc.).

Verified Member
What is it going to take before people realize Segura is nothing special? Outside of his 2-3 month hot streak in 2013 he has been well below average with the bat and his defense really isn't anything special. I really just don't see the excitement that makes him worth a really good prospect(Nimmo etc.).

He's an MLB-caliber SS in his early 20s with upside. If he were actually a great player right now then then there's no way the Brewers (or any other team) would be trading him.

This is just false completely. Segura actually has a lot of value and is worth more than Nimmo.

Is Segura worth someone like Matz? No he is not worth that much but he is definitely worth at least one 50-60 ranked prospect plus another 90-100 ranked prospect. Segura right now is performing about as good as Andrelton Simmons is offensively. While Segura is not even as good as Simmons is their offensive games are comparable.

Segura is a top 15 SS in the league right now. Now lets look at Starlin Castro who has been rumored to be available and even with his contract the rumors have been Castro for a top 50 prospect plus more. Segura is out playing Castro in every conceivable category so yeah Segura has a lot of value and you are extremely underestimating what Segura's value is on the trade market.

Here is who I would target from the Mets:

Segura, Ramirez, and cash to the Mets

Michael Conforto, Dominic Smith and Casey Meisner.

This is a very balanced trade and I like Conforto over Nimmo and I like Meisner over any of the Mets pitchers not named Matz or Syndergaard. Meisner may just end up another #3 or #4 type pitcher which is someone the Brewers still need. The Brewers need to be stock piling these type of pitchers so the Brewers do not need to go into free agency to grab one.

He's an MLB-caliber SS in his early 20s with upside. If he were actually a great player right now then then there's no way the Brewers (or any other team) would be trading him.

He is 25...I don't think that is early 20s. Early 20s to me is 23 or younger. While 25 is still young, for an international prospect that is quite a bit of pro experience under his belt. This whole "potential" thing just seems like wishful thinking with not much to back it up. I have seen flashes of being decent and having some gap power, but that could just be a hot streak like any other player goes through.

I'm sure he is worthy of more than his current production because he is still youthful, but you can't avoid the fact he has been below average for two full years now. Right now he has proven to be nothing more than a low end MLB -caliber SS. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I haven't seen any signs to make me worried.

SS Jean Segura

3B Aramis Ramirez

Brewers pay all or most of A-Ram's remaining salary

for

CF Brandon Nimmo

RHP Michael Fulmer

RHP Marcos Molina

If they don't like it they can take a hike.

Add Urena at 3B and you have my vote.

He is 25...I don't think that is early 20s. Early 20s to me is 23 or younger. While 25 is still young, for an international prospect that is quite a bit of pro experience under his belt. This whole "potential" thing just seems like wishful thinking with not much to back it up. I have seen flashes of being decent and having some gap power, but that could just be a hot streak like any other player goes through.

I'm sure he is worthy of more than his current production because he is still youthful, but you can't avoid the fact he has been below average for two full years now. Right now he has proven to be nothing more than a low end MLB -caliber SS. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I haven't seen any signs to make me worried.

Agreed. Segura's spent 3.5 years in the majors and has shown nothing special outside of the first couple months of 2013. 25 isn't old but it really isn't that young for today's game so he may improve but unless he changes his horrible approach at the plate it's probably not going to happen. If someone wants him now, you take that deal.

No he is not worth that much but he is definitely worth at least one 50-60 ranked prospect plus another 90-100 ranked prospect.

I think you could've made this argument after 2013. I don't think you can anymore. The first half of 2013 is looking like the fluke. I think you could maybe get a top 90-100 guy and then a rookie ball wildcard type prospect as sweetener but if Segura is traded I think you're going to be incredibly disappointed with the return if you're expecting two top 100 prospects for him.

Archived