Brewer Fanatic

Trade with the Mets

It will take a tremendous offer for Melvin to deal Segura. Segura is a 25 year old core player under control for 3 more years. It's a good bet he ends up at 3B a year from now to make room for Arcia. His offensive numbers are mirroring his 2013 so it's looking more and more like 2014 was the outlier.

Moving Segura to third would be a complete waste of talent. I don't think he would be the best defensively at 3B, he has little power, and is slightly above average with the bat. Production is down at 3B in recent years, but I think they would be better suited to shift him to 2B or trade him. That is where they will maximize his value when Arcia arrives.

Sorry it's not a waste of talent. In today's game with shifts often leaving just one infielder on the third base side, having a SS with range there is a huge advantage. If you take out 2014, Segura's slugged .420. Add on his ability to steal and take extra bases, he certainly provides enough offense there. Time to start thinking a little more out of the box MrTPlush.

Besides if they hold on to Segura for another year, chances are his value as a SS increases as he distances himself from 2014.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dunno...Scooter as a platoon guy might get you a .650-.670 OPS in Citi and his defense isn't great for a 2B.

With a possibility of Wright returning, Flores, Tejada, Campbell, and Murphy obviously coming back...they may need a short-term 2B, but I've gotta think they could go get one with a higher ceiling than Scooter.

I'm not saying they wouldn't take him, but he's probably not at the top of the list.

You are aware Scooter has posted a 1.099 OPS so far against lefties at AAA this season? Of course that's a small sample of 32 AB's but so is his sample vs. them in the big leagues. Fact is he's no worse nor no better than most lefthanded hitters of his overall ability against lefties. As for "temporary" need, you are aware Wright may be done? Lumbar spinal stenosis is a chronic condition.

Higher ceiling? Gennett batted .300 and slugged .449 in his first 653 major leagues AB's. You won't find too many 2B with ceilings higher than what he's already put up.

It will take a tremendous offer for Melvin to deal Segura. Segura is a 25 year old core player under control for 3 more years. It's a good bet he ends up at 3B a year from now to make room for Arcia. His offensive numbers are mirroring his 2013 so it's looking more and more like 2014 was the outlier.

Moving Segura to third would be a complete waste of talent. I don't think he would be the best defensively at 3B, he has little power, and is slightly above average with the bat. Production is down at 3B in recent years, but I think they would be better suited to shift him to 2B or trade him. That is where they will maximize his value when Arcia arrives.

Sorry it's not a waste of talent. In today's game with shifts often leaving just one infielder on the third base side, having a SS with range there is a huge advantage. If you take out 2014, Segura's slugged .420. Add on his ability to steal and take extra bases, he certainly provides enough offense there. Time to start thinking a little more out of the box MrTPlush.

Besides if they hold on to Segura for another year, chances are his value as a SS increases as he distances himself from 2014.

I have always gone back and forth on Segura at 3B. All I see is the potential to be average there at best. I have always thought trading him for a sweet package is a better idea. Get some promising guys...not an average 3B for the next 3 years.

Jon Morosi tweeted that the Mets and Brewers have had some preliminary talks, and the Mets are interested in position players, so there may be more to this after all.

They make a ton of sense as trade partners. They could use just about every Brewer that is on the block. Segura and Ramirez make the most sense, but a couple of the others make sense too. Parra, Braun, and Gomez would all help them greatly if they want to move an expensive salary to the bench...though I would be a little skeptical on that front.

I would be really surprised if Ramirez doesn't end up a Met.

Man...I would just love a one stop trade for a bunch of our pieces...Gomez-Segura-Ramirez-Lohse for Syndergaard & Wheeler deal.

Mets would still have Harvey-deGrom-Matz-Colon-Lohse-Gee-Niese for their rotation this year and add Gomez to the OF with Lagares and Granderson. Duda, Murphy, Segura, Ramirez and d'Arnaud on the IF.

Brewers have a top 4 rotation of Syndergaard-Wheeler-Peralta-Nelson for the next 4-5 years.

Pipe dream sure but fun to think about.

Man...I would just love a one stop trade for a bunch of our pieces...Gomez-Segura-Ramirez-Lohse for Syndergaard & Wheeler deal.

Mets would still have Harvey-deGrom-Matz-Colon-Lohse-Gee-Niese for their rotation this year and add Gomez to the OF with Lagares and Granderson. Duda, Murphy, Segura, Ramirez and d'Arnaud on the IF.

Brewers have a top 4 rotation of Syndergaard-Wheeler-Peralta-Nelson for the next 4-5 years.

Pipe dream is being kind to think the Mets would trade both of Syndergaard & Wheeler.

Plus, Ramirez and Lohse have been pure garbage all season long and make a lot of money.

Pipe dream is being kind to think the Mets would trade both of Syndergaard & Wheeler.

Plus, Ramirez and Lohse have been pure garbage all season long and make a lot of money.

Hence the use of "pipe dream" Mr. Alderson.

The brewers aren't getting much for Ramirez. Still worth trading him though. Clear 3b for the young guys and save some money

Who are we clearing 3B for? Luis Sardinas so he can at least get at-bats? If he does well then trade him, Segura, or Gennett after the season? Not like we have any true third basemen to try out. Too bad Jason Rogers can't play over there.

The brewers aren't getting much for Ramirez. Still worth trading him though. Clear 3b for the young guys and save some money

Who are we clearing 3B for? Luis Sardinas so he can at least get at-bats? If he does well then trade him, Segura, or Gennett after the season? Not like we have any true third basemen to try out. Too bad Jason Rogers can't play over there.

Who cares? Spread the at-bats around and see what the younger guys can do. The Brewers are going nowhere, might as well see what they have going into 2016 for bench options.

This is how I see the suggested scouting of Ramirez/Segura.

The Mets will trade Gee to Milw for Ramirez plus a million or 2. Gee's time with the Mets is over and his #4 SP in ability makes him about worth the soon to be retired Ramirez. Bad player for bad player. Gee has pitched 199innings previously in his career which would give Milw someone to count on to get through the season if/when Lohse and Garza are traded. Gee would also give the team the option to consider trading Fiers or Peralta and have a #4 SP to use in the rotation next year in the rebuild year.

The Mets then use Matz who I've read whispers of being better than Syndergaard.

Lets get creative and put this out there. Segura/Ramirez being scouted. Wright and now Murphy are down on DL. Flores isn't the SS defensively you'd hope. His 2b/3b reputation being true.

So take Murphy/Gee but then also Nimmo or Conforto and Molina for Segura and Ramirez. Giving the Mets Flores at 2b, Segura at SS and Ramirez at 3b with Wright out. The swapping of salaries of Murphy+Gee equal Ramirez's. You score 2 promising Prospects for Segura.

Reading the rumor, that appears to be exactly what the Mets are thinking. They can do what they've been trying to do for a while, which is to get rid of one of their "expensive" veteran pitchers, make room for their talented prospects, and get a short-term fix for their third base situation. Meanwhile, the Brewers get what they're trying to get rid of... a semi-expensive back-of-the-rotation veteran starter. I dislike it, so it's probably exactly what the Brewers will do.

So many up-and-coming teams are doing what I think is the right thing. When you have a good prospect, hold onto him and trade the guy on the MLB team that's in his way. Even though you have a playoff spot, don't trade away the future for today. I highly doubt they will even think about trading away their young pitchers, and if it costs them this year, so be it. They realize that having a ridiculously strong rotation for the next 6+ years will give them a good shot at making more playoffs down the road.

The person who mentioned Addison Russell was on the mark. If the Mets were to offer up one of their young pitchers, the Cubs would be a far better trading partner than the Brewers. "Potential superstar MLB ready position prospect" for "potential superstar MLB ready pitching prospect" is more realistic than any deal involving Segura or Ramirez. I'd love to see us trade Segura for Matz, but that's not realistic. Segura is an average fielder who hits around .700 OPS in a hitter's park. He'd be a slight upgrade for them, and is about to start getting expensive. He's not worth an MLB ready potential top of the rotation ace, and the sad thing is that the rumor says the Brewers are the ones who are not interested in trading Segura. I sure hope that's trade posturing.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Not sure why the Brewers would have interest in taking Gee, but not Niese for Ramirez. I don't see Gee having any value other than netting some cash savings in the swap. Especially if they want to look at Jungmann and Cravy assuming Lohse is traded/released down the line.

Niese is the better pitcher, and he's lefthanded. Yeah he comes with a $9.5 million left on his deal, but with the going rate for mediocre pitchers in FA, a $9 million veteran who profiles as a #3-4 with just a $500K buyout after next season seems reasonable to me. Plus he's still a guy that could be moved either this winter or next season. If he reverts to his 2012-14 form of ERA's between 3.40 and 3.71, he's a downright bargain and probably worth picking up his options too.

Picking up Niese might allow them to deal Fiers who with a low salary and control, could fetch a decent return. Niese is more than a year younger than Fiers too.

Taking on any veteran in a trade is pretty dumb for the Brewers. This is the time to really see what some of the young guys can do - Jungmann, Cravy, etc.

I'd much rather take a prospect of ANY kind for Ramirez than taking back someone like Gee. Other than salary savings, he isn't bringing much back to us and he's blocking starts from the younger guys when/if we clear a rotation spot for them. Unless we think we can get more for Gee at the trade deadline than we could get for Ramirez right now?

As far as 3b goes, let Rogers/Gomez play there on a regular basis - what's the worst that could happen? They're terrible and we stay as the worst team in MLB??

What's the downside of playing Rogers at 3B for an extended period? There's only one way to get better- playing time. He is a wildcard. He's at .700ish OPS so if he can get that up to .750ish we may have something. If he still stinks defensively, he's an option for 1B and a trade chip to some AL team who needs a 1B/DH type. He's shown enough that I would like to see more of him, especially in a season that is a lost cause.

Taking on any veteran in a trade is pretty dumb for the Brewers. This is the time to really see what some of the young guys can do - Jungmann, Cravy, etc.

I'd much rather take a prospect of ANY kind for Ramirez than taking back someone like Gee. Other than salary savings, he isn't bringing much back to us and he's blocking starts from the younger guys when/if we clear a rotation spot for them. Unless we think we can get more for Gee at the trade deadline than we could get for Ramirez right now?

As far as 3b goes, let Rogers/Gomez play there on a regular basis - what's the worst that could happen? They're terrible and we stay as the worst team in MLB??

It's highly doubtful Ramirez would bring back the type of prospect that projects beyond a fringe major league career so getting a veteran back with some usefulness isn't going to mess up any rebuilding. I'm not sold that Gee has any value, but Niese certainly does and as for blocking younger guys, well Niese would allow them to deal Fiers or Garza, and if Garza got dealt, Niese at $9 million would be their most expensive starter going into 2016, hardly a sign they are "all in" for 2016. In fact in the long run, a guy like Niese would net a much more viable prospect than a 3 month rental of Ramirez would.

It's highly doubtful Ramirez would bring back the type of prospect that projects beyond a fringe major league career so getting a veteran back with some usefulness isn't going to mess up any rebuilding. I'm not sold that Gee has any value, but Niese certainly does and as for blocking younger guys, well Niese would allow them to deal Fiers or Garza, and if Garza got dealt, Niese at $9 million would be their most expensive starter going into 2016, hardly a sign they are "all in" for 2016. In fact in the long run, a guy like Niese would net a much more viable prospect than a 3 month rental of Ramirez would.

You're probably right that we could trade Niese down the road. I'd rather take him than Gee. Even getting a fringe prospect back would be fine with me just to save the salary money, but that's just my thoughts I guess.

But as far as needing to take a pitcher back to trade Garza or Fiers - I tend to disagree. Between Jungmann, Cravy, Wagner and Thornburg, I think we have plenty of young guys that could fill the rotation spots the rest of the season. I'd rather see them get some experience and see what they have the rest of this season. Just my opinion I guess.

Who cares? Spread the at-bats around and see what the younger guys can do. The Brewers are going nowhere, might as well see what they have going into 2016 for bench options.

Exactly what I mentioned after what you bolded.

Archived