Brewer Fanatic

Trade with the Mets

One tiny problem with trading for Gomez though. Their current CFer might be the best defensive CFer in the game(better than Gomez for sure). I have a really hard time seeing them bench him. Last year Lagares sported a 5.5 WAR...not really a guy you want to bench.

A trade with the Mets doesn't make a lot of sense now that I look at it. Cuddyer and Granderson have no where to go and no way they bench either of them. Not to mention Gomez or Lagares at a corner spot would be a huge waste of value.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In order to get something you have to give something up. Gomez is an excellent player and he's signed through next year too. Other than Syndergaard the Mets still have 5 other starters with ERAs under 4 (I'm assuming one is injured right now?) Also, their starting CF has an OPS of .623. Gomez is struggling big time right now and his OPS is still .746. His defense is also Gold Glove caliber. He'd be a huge upgrade to the Mets lineup. I am all for moving Gomez. I actually think it's overdue. But don't settle for a couple of B prospects. If I'm trading Gomez to the Mets I'm getting Syndergaard back.

If you were the Mets GM, would you trade Syndergaard for Gomez?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I completely understand people wanting to acquire MLB ready or very near MLB ready talent who are as close to sure things as prospects get. However and I admit to having a tremendous bias towards pitching, and I admit to constantly pushing the idea of trading for young pitching, but again if I'm the GM there is no way I'm moving a 22 year old phenom to keep a bloated 42 year old who's pitching over his head for his age and is gone after this season. Next season the Mets could have Wheeler, Harvey, deGrom, and Syndergaard in the rotation together, that's special.

Yes they could use an upgrade in CF but again, is acquiring Gomez a net positive for them? Is 1.5 years of Gomez worth the 6.5 years Syndergaard? If we look at the proposed trade in the vacuum of the current moment in 2015 it can make some sense, but in any wider view of the situation it really doesn't. The Mets will become a significantly better team when all of their players are healthy again, that would be the time for them to make a move, as in 2016. It would make more sense for them to keep the young and inexpensive pitching which they have and spend their FA money on upgrades for position players over the next several years.

Syndergaard is exactly the type of prospect we should be looking to acquire, only 2 years ago. I would have happily sent Toronto whatever they wanted for that same package of prospects coming back in 2012. You want Gallardo and Lohse? Sure! Just like I wanted to trade Ramirez to the Dodgers during the 2012 and include Corey Seager in that deal as a PTBNL when he was coming out of rookie ball. The idea shouldn't be limited to acquiring a player only after he makes a name for himself but rather getting the most talent (not the most immediate MLB production) out of a deal.

I would trade Gomez for Syndergaard this second without a thought, it's done, but I don't think it's a viable deal, I think that's a steal from our perspective. In today's climate if a GM is willing I think a prospect like Noah is going to cost Gomez +, something like Gomez, Tyler Wagner, and Jorge Lopez, it would have to a quantity deal because we don't have young pitcher with similar upside. Or maybe something like Gomez, Wager, and Devin Williams where the Mets are getting back a short term CF, a potential #3, and a kid with some nice upside in A ball. I would still make that deal, that's how badly I want young impact pitching. However, I would rather target Seattle or a similar team with some impact prospects who have maybe underperformed or have gotten hurt. I'd rather ship Gomez and get multiple potential impact prospects than have to send anything with him to acquire a single prospect, so for example with Seattle I'd go after Walker, Hultzen, and Edwin Diaz. Hultzen of course had shoulder surgery, which scares the hell of out me, but I'm a bit of a risk taker when it comes to mining talent. Maybe they'd also want Gomez +.... fine. I'd do Gomez + Nelson, or Gomez + whatever minor league pitching they want.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

It's hard to say because I'm not nearly as familiar with their team, their system or the state of their franchise right now as I am with Milwaukee's. I do know they are in first place now and have good starting pitching and a terrible offense. I do know Gomez would be a huge upgrade over what they are throwing out at CF right now. And I do know they seem to have some depth at SP.

Next season the Mets could have Wheeler, Harvey, deGrom, and Syndergaard in the rotation together, that's special.

And this season they could play in a World Series. That's pretty special too.

I don't know what the Mets are thinking but I'm looking at this from the Brewer's perspective. I'm not trading Gomez for quantity. If the Mets don't give us what we want then we don't trade with them. I'm just saying the after seeing Syndergaard pitch he's the guy I'd target.

Whether it's for Gomez, or anyone else the Brewers have, I would not trade Syndergaard, because the Mets could say, "We'll give you Steve Matz", and the Brewers would probably make the deal. Syndergaard is better, but the Brewers don't have a pitcher who can match Matz' potential anywhere in their system right now.

This thread has shifted from the Segura to Mets to Gomez for Syndergaard trade. Which as stated above, Juan Lagares is holding down the CF position. Segura is 3.5years of SS team control. Whereas Gomez is just 1.5. Now certainly I think Gomez' 1.5 years is more valuable than Segura's 3.5. It's just the proposed cost seems too much. The Mets are also a team that holds on to their money vs giving wild contracts(Cuddyer's notwithstanding) and Gomez is likely gone after 2016.

I'm thinking the Mets when they gave Cuddyer that contract where banking on filling a need of theirs by trading away Niese or Gee. Only then, Wheeler went down to TJ and that 6th SP became their 5th. The Mets are still a team that have Niese/Gee in 2016 so without Colon and Wheeler returning they are going to have 6 SPs and Matz being a 7th. So I really feel this is a time to get him if possible. They hold on to him through the season, all it takes is a non-offer to Gee/trade of him to open the door for Matz to take the mound.

It could be interesting in that I think the Mets could try to move Daniel Murphy giving way to Wilmer Flores at 2b and then opening the door for them to add Segura at SS. What playoff team could use a veteran 2b? There in could be Milw's 3way team trade. Yankees? Kansas City? Angels? Padres?

And this season they could play in a World Series. That's pretty special too..

I agree that of course a WS series appearance is special, but I don't see it for the Mets in 2015 so we'll have to agree to disagree.

Keeping the pitching they currently have and getting Wright and d'Arnaud back healthy would seem like a much more likely route in my opinion if that was going to happen in 2015. In the post season you need to be able to match up best on best from a pitching standpoint and Gomez doesn't make that offense enough better to make up the difference.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Funny, there was an article in the NY papers today talking about how the Brewers, and Gomez in particular couldn't believe that someone ever traded Syndergaard. I thought it was ironic, since the reason the Brewers are thinking about trading guys like Gomez is so that they can get talent like Syndergaard into the system.

People have mocked the "top prospect" lists over the past few seasons, claiming that the Brewers shouldn't be ranked so low, but all you have to do is look at someone like Syndergaard or Bryant to realize that these guys are light years ahead of our prospects. The Mets/Toronto trade is exactly the model of what we need to do. The Mets traded R.A. Dickey to Toronto for Syndergaard, who was in low-A, and d'Arnaud, who was in AA. They were able to get more talent by dipping into the lower minors and waiting for them to grow.

We have enough "chips" to get lots of prospects back, but hopefully some will be in this category. I'm perfectly content watching a below-average MLB roster for a couple years as long as I know we have some potential studs making their way through the system. And heck, who knows, maybe someone like Jungmann, Sardinas or Taylor will shine when given the spotlight.

I think Syndergaard is untouchable. The thought of blowing up years of patiently building a solid block of young talent in order to go for it this year makes me cringe. The Mets are set up for years of success. Why waste it to gain a slight improvement this year? The posters saying Segura-for-a-lesser-Mets-prospect are probably closer to the mark. Segura has some years of control left, which the Mets would like, and wouldn't cost them a top prospect they're unwilling to give up, so it's feasible that it will happen. I am not as high on Segura as some, and we have MLB-ready depth at that position, so if we could turn him into a promising SP prospect, I'm all for it.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Whether we get Syndergaard or not I still think the Mets are a good partner. They need a CF and as other alluded to could probably go for a SS as well. I don't think we actually have many quality trade chips but we do have a CF and a SS that could be moved. I have to be honest I didn't realize that Steve Matz was such a quality prospect. Obviously I'd still like Syngergaard but I wouldn't be upset with Matz after looking at his career numbers. Plus he's a lefty, which we lack in this organization. Gomez for Matz + maybe a lower level quality prospect would seem like a good deal. Gomez for Matz and Molina?

Whether we get Syndergaard or not I still think the Mets are a good partner. They need a CF and as other alluded to could probably go for a SS as well. I don't think we actually have many quality trade chips but we do have a CF and a SS that could be moved. I have to be honest I didn't realize that Steve Matz was such a quality prospect. Obviously I'd still like Syngergaard but I wouldn't be upset with Matz after looking at his career numbers. Plus he's a lefty, which we lack in this organization. Gomez for Matz + maybe a lower level quality prospect would seem like a good deal. Gomez for Matz and Molina?

The Mets have no need for a CF...care to elaborate why you think they do? Lagares is signed to a 5/$25mil contract and is possibly the best CFer defensively in the game. He was a 5.5 WAR player last year. They have no place to add a CFer.

he Mets have no need for a CF...care to elaborate why you think they do? Lagares is signed to a 5/$25mil contract and is possibly the best CFer defensively in the game. He was a 5.5 WAR player last year. They have no place to add a CFer.

I'm just looking at offense. His offense is terrible.....always has been. An career OBP of .300, including .291 this season. A career OPS of .661, including .616 this season. 9 career home runs in about 1000 plate appearances. Cuddyer is also having a terrible season offensively, as are the Mets as a whole. The team is 10th in the NL in scoring, 10th in HR's, 12th in OBP, 13th in OPS. Pitching is obviously their strength. I realize the contracts to Lagares and Cuddyer make it a difficult situation but they could always move someone in the offseason. Gomez would be a huge upgrade offensively to Lagares and not much of a drop defensively, if one at all. He'd also be a huge upgrade both offensively and defensively to Cuddyer. It would definitely be an all-in move for the Mets.

Community Moderator
I'm just looking at offense. His offense is terrible.....always has been. An career OBP of .300, including .291 this season. A career OPS of .661, including .616 this season. 9 career home runs in about 1000 plate appearances.

To be fair, Lagares isn't far from the player offensively that Carlos Gomez was until he hit his prime years and made a significant transformation with the bat. Gomez didn't post an OBP over .298, an OPS better than .679 or an OPS+ greater than 82 until his 6th major league season. Lagares bested all of those marks last season in his age 25 season (OBP of .321, OPS of .703, OPS+ of 101). While I am not going to predict a Gomez-ian jump offensively, it's reasonable to think that Lagares' best production is ahead of him has he enters his prime years.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Traderumors on the Mets:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/05/mets-notes-offense-niese-collins.html

Pretty much confirms a need to tame any trade expectations. The trade idea I get from reading this is one not mentioned but the Mets would seem to have a need for Gerardo Parra's Lefty bat. The team doesn't appear to have any depth(hey! now we're talking for a trade need season ending Mets injury) for a 4th OF and Cuddyer/Lagares are both RHB. Cuddyer's struggles and/or Lagares' splits could be a target addition to attempt to address for a playoff run(like Milw did last season)

It's lame though on what to get back in a trade. Thinking nothing super flashy as Parra was had for Mitch Haniger. But do you nab Matt Reynolds? Though, I guess after Murphy's decline he'd be the 2b of the future for the Mets. Brings back the thoughts on Segura? Segura+Parra for Reynolds and Matz? Push Flores to 2b and Segura to SS? That would be the new hopeful thinking.

I certainly would be tempted...

A rotation next year of Harvey, deGrom, Wheeler, Niese, Matz plus having Gomez in the OF is arguably better than having Syndergaard with no Gomez. Additionally, the Mets have the financial wherewithal to re-sign Gomez at whatever rate he would command after next season so the argument about having Syndergaard for 6+ seasons before FA and Gomez for only 1.5 seasons isn't exactly clear cut.

I guess where the rubber meets the road for me is putting myself in a large market frame of mind. The Mets can afford to buy elite pitching like Jordan Zimmermann, Zack Greinke, David Price and Jeff Samardzija. Are the Mets better to deal Syndergaard for Gomez and sign Zimmermann if need be to replace Syndergaard? Or are they better to hold Syndergaard and chase FA bats like Yoenis Cespedes, Jason Heyward and Justin Upton?

I don't know the answer to that. All I know is that if the Brewers called and said Syndergaard for Gomez, I would be tempted.

All I know is that if the Brewers called and said Syndergaard for Gomez, I would be tempted.

Mets would be crazy to deal Syndegaard for Gomez. But then again the Mets do make plenty of perplexing personnel moves

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

All I know is that if the Brewers called and said Syndergaard for Gomez, I would be tempted.

Mets would be crazy to deal Syndegaard for Gomez. But then again the Mets do make plenty of perplexing personnel moves

This is where the whole trade world gets crazy. When you are looking at mega-talented players, it's tough to figure out the value, and no one wants to be the loser on a deal like this. I don't think it's "crazy" to think that a proven MVP-caliber player with 1.5 years left on a ridiculously low contract should get elite value in return, but I also agree that Syndergaard has tremendous value.

Gomez could be a good mid-season trade candidate, as he's the type of player that could get GM's and owners salivating, and also worried that their competition would get him. It's their shot at a franchise-altering deal, so I just hope that if they do trade Gomez they don't blow it.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

This is where the whole trade world gets crazy. When you are looking at mega-talented players, it's tough to figure out the value, and no one wants to be the loser on a deal like this. I don't think it's "crazy" to think that a proven MVP-caliber player with 1.5 years left on a ridiculously low contract should get elite value in return, but I also agree that Syndergaard has tremendous value.

Gomez could be a good mid-season trade candidate, as he's the type of player that could get GM's and owners salivating, and also worried that their competition would get him. It's their shot at a franchise-altering deal, so I just hope that if they do trade Gomez they don't blow it.

The Mets got Wheeler for a half season of Carlos Beltran. I'm not sure how Wheeler and Syndergaard match up but Gomez has oodles more value than Beltran did at the time.

FYI, David Wright has been shut down, after a recurrence of back issues.

The Mets are trying to hold on to their young talent, pending the returns of D'Arnaud and Wright, but maybe they won't be able to do that.

It's odd to me but when I read comments from Mets fans, they seem to want Gomez. Relagating Cuddyer to a bench bat role. Use Gomez in his place or to give Lagares days off.

What if you picked off the Mets for Syndergaard/Nimmo or Conforto/Cecchini and another Prospect not sure where for Gomez and Segura. Maybe Marcos Molina? or maybe both Nimmo/Conforto?

Cecchini would be moved to 3b and be battling for the position Opening day 2016. Syndergaard is Ace of the Brewers immediately for rotation.

For the Mets they get a better defensive SS can move Flores to a more natural position of 2b or 3b with Wright down currently. An obvious Offensive upgrade for the Mets with Gomez.

I've been against part of the solutions to a question with Syndergaard being a rotation piece for the Playoffs so why trade him. But, Matz may be of equal value and no worry losing Syndergaard of equal value for a major increase of value in Gomez.

You get more back by including Segura, because making such a move would indicate a real urge to win now by the Mets and Eric Cambell at 3b and Daniel Murphy at 2b while sticking with Flores' lack of defense at SS really makes the trade singularly for Gomez an odd one. They'd have Gomez+Cuddyer through 2016. Murphy's a FA and may be a player to take for salary relief for the Mets.

If the fans clamor for Gomez, then maybe the FO of the Mets also see him as a viable trade idea. The news is always about a SS replacement so maybe the pressure will force them in to a trade

The Mets have to get some offense in there, or admit to their fans that they're willing to wait a year, it's really that simple.

I do believe they'll trade for a hitter, they've got two used up guys playing the corner OF spots, and they don't know when they'll have Wright back, or even what he's now capable of producing - that leaves Lucas Duda to show for the four corner spots.

I think they'll take a shot at Tulowitzki, and I won't be surprised if they get him. Barring that, they can swap a young arm for a young bat with the Cubs, or they can take a very serious look at Carlos Gomez, and Ryan Braun.

NY has too much cash committed to Wright, Granderson and Cuddyer to just jump on a contract like Tulo or Braun have, maybe someone has to take Cuddyer or Granderson back in a deal to get it done, but there are plenty of good prospects to talk about.

Given those other contracts already in-house, Mr Gomez makes a lot of sense for NY.

I'll believe the Mets aren't going to make a move for offense, somewhere around September 20th.

This almost seems too ideal a fit to happen. If I were Melvin I'd call the Mets GM and say "Gomez and Segura are available. Gimme a call when you're ready to talk". Definitely have to walk away with either Syndergaard or Matz. I'd like Molina as well. I'm not high on Cecchini as he is just a .257 career minor league hitter with no power at all. Conforto is a guy I'd take as well.

This almost seems too ideal a fit to happen. If I were Melvin I'd call the Mets GM and say "Gomez and Segura are available. Gimme a call when you're ready to talk". Definitely have to walk away with either Syndergaard or Matz. I'd like Molina as well. I'm not high on Cecchini as he is just a .257 career minor league hitter with no power at all. Conforto is a guy I'd take as well.

Mets need to make a splash. Braun, Gomez, and Segura and we get our choice of 5 players and we take a bad contract OF back.

Archived