Brewer Fanatic

Trade with the Mets

Seeing a tweet or two that the Indians are still interested in Gomez and have contacted the Brewers after the trade fell through.

Anyone have any ideas what we could expect from Cleveland (using the mets trade as a baseline I'd imagine).

Zimmer, Frazier, plus low-level pitching prospect? I would like to add Salazar to that but that seems to be a stretch.

Two more outfielders? Getting crowded. I have no problem getting one of them, (I'd take Frazier), but maybe get 3B Yandy Diaz (an OBP machine) and 1B Nellie Rodriguez (a power bat) instead of Zimmer.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seeing a tweet or two that the Indians are still interested in Gomez and have contacted the Brewers after the trade fell through.

Anyone have any ideas what we could expect from Cleveland (using the mets trade as a baseline I'd imagine).

Zimmer, Frazier, plus low-level pitching prospect? I would like to add Salazar to that but that seems to be a stretch.

Two more outfielders? Getting crowded. I have no problem getting one of them, (I'd take Frazier), but maybe get 3B Yandy Diaz (an OBP machine) and 1B Nellie Rodriguez (a power bat) instead of Zimmer.

Who in the OF? Taylor and Coulter putting up pedestrian numbers that would be below average for the ML level. Obviously, Coulter isn't about to be a plus defensively. Brewers don't have many ML OF prospects right now honestly. They are filled with AAAA types. Or, AAA types that wind up playing for the ML team, poorly

Who in the OF? Taylor and Coulter putting up pedestrian numbers that would be below average for the ML level. Obviously, Coulter isn't about to be a plus defensively. Brewers don't have many ML OF prospects right now honestly. They are filled with AAAA types. Or, AAA types that wind up playing for the ML team, poorly

Brevard County is a notoriously pitcher-friendly location in the Florida State League, which is a very pitcher-friendly league. I'm not worried about Coulter's offense because of that. Victor Roache looked pedestrian in Brevard County (.773 OPS), but is raking in Biloxi (.900 OPS), and if the Brewers get Coulter out of Brevard County, I think the same sort of improvement will manifest itself. Michael Reed's looking like a relatively speedy OBP machine at all levels.

BC is a death trap for hitter outside of guys like Arcia, Gennett, or a Segovia will probably have a lot of success. Guys who have any lift to there swings are dead in the water. The air is just thick and heavy and believe the way wind blows in cause ball not to travel too well. In Biloxi next year the Coulter bandwagon will be over flowing again. Defensively, man has a cannon for an arm and is okay out there.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Now with the whole Gomez saga over, why not go back to the Mets to get Wheeler and Flores for Parra and Sardinas and maybe a token $1M to appease the money concerns. They will probably balk (or not even answer the phone), but it gives them a chance to still get that impact OF bat that they need, replace Flores, and alleviate some of their cost concerns?

I like that okay. I've been assuming that well is poisoned now, but Parra makes a ton of sense for them. I wonder if the relative muteness of the exchanges between DM and Alderson signals that a deal is still possible. To hear Mets fans tell it (on Amazin' Alley), the real villain in the Gomez saga is Mets management.

The major problem I see is that the Mets might undervalue Parra relative to Gomez more than other teams. I was just saying in another thread that the QO / comp pick possibility (raised by Colby and And That) increases Parra's trade value. But the Mets may not value the comp pick highly, and more important, they may be too cheap to pull the trigger on the QO.

I would be stunned if they pulled that off, though I'm not sure the money on Parra is an issue since he isn't signed for next year and is making just over half of what Gomez does this year.

I was just saying in another thread that the QO / comp pick possibility (raised by Colby and And That) increases Parra's trade value. But the Mets may not value the comp pick highly, and more important, they may be too cheap to pull the trigger on the QO.

I may be wrong, but I thought there was a new rule in place that a team receiving a player in the final year of his contract is ineligible to receive a comp pick at the end of the year. So while we may lose the possibility of receiving a comp pick by trading him away, I don't believe the Mets would gain the possibility of a comp pick by trading for him. In which case, I don't think they'd up the package they're willing to give up for him because of that.

Anyone understand that part of the comp pick procedure well enough to verify that?

Yikes. I think you're right, but I can't quickly find a reference. If that's right, then trading Parra involves throwing the discounted potential value of the comp pick away. That's a bit of a poison pill. But the reports say they're dealing him, which means either they don't like the risk that he'll take the QO or they like Davies better than the comp pick.

Brewers should offer the Mets a steaming pile of garbage - literally a steaming pile of garbage - for Matz and ask them if they think the steaming garbage pile is injured.

For some reason, I pictured Melvin & Scott Boras lighting a paper bag full of dog excrement and leaving it on Alderson's (or Wilpons') doorstep. They ring the door bell and duck behind some bushes as they wait for them to open the door. Then, as the victims angrily stomp on the bag to put out the fire, Boras jumps up and yells, "Looks like YOUR hips check out medically."

Boom. Roasted.

Gruber Lawffices

Archived