Brewer Fanatic

Trade with the Dodgers

Carl Crawford now down. They have no back end of their rotation. Now is the time to unload Gomez and Lohse or Garza to get back a pitcher like Urias and other prospects.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They don't really need Gomez because they have Pederson in CF this season and next. Their OF is still pretty deep even with Puig and Crawford out, because Van Slyke and Guerrero can cover a corner (Ethier in the other).

Dodgers are weakest at catcher, so Lucroy makes more sense.

What about:

LHP Julio Urias

3B Alex Guerrero

C Julian Leon

RHP Zachary Bird

for

C Jonathan Lucroy

RHP Matt Garza

Someone laughed at me at Seager for Peralta. Any trade offer for Urias is far more laughable. He's the #1 SP pitcher prospect in all of the Minors. It'd be like asking for Kris Bryant for Lucroy and Garza before the season began.

The Dodgers are filled with hitters/hitting, they acquire Lucroy so they can bat him 7th or 8th?

I feel the target to get what you want is to offer up SP and the only name to offer is Peralta. Lohse or Garza do them no good not for any kind of respectable prospects to send Milw's way. Now, turn Garza in to the SP before the Trade deadline when while he was with the Cubs the rest of his starts to the deadline and we may get something back for him.

Here's another option. Getting back a good prospect if you really tear down the club. Take on Ethiers' or Crawford's contract.

Someone laughed at me at Seager for Peralta. Any trade offer for Urias is far more laughable. He's the #1 SP pitcher prospect in all of the Minors. It'd be like asking for Kris Bryant for Lucroy and Garza before the season began.

The Dodgers are filled with hitters/hitting, they acquire Lucroy so they can bat him 7th or 8th?

I feel the target to get what you want is to offer up SP and the only name to offer is Peralta. Lohse or Garza do them no good not for any kind of respectable prospects to send Milw's way. Now, turn Garza in to the SP before the Trade deadline when while he was with the Cubs the rest of his starts to the deadline and we may get something back for him.

Here's another option. Getting back a good prospect if you really tear down the club. Take on Ethiers' or Crawford's contract.

Lucroy is exponentially better than Peralta and Peralta is only under team control for an extra year (Lucroy might actually be cheaper, amazingly). Peralta is simply not that valuable, whereas Lucroy is on one of the most valuable contracts in the game (at least if you value him as an MVP-caliber catcher, which I do).

Addison Russell was ranked somewhat similarly to the more optimistic valuations of Urias, and he was traded for a half season of Jeff Samardzija...

1.5 Seasons of an Ace in Samardzija. Oakland dealt his final year to the White Sox for Marcus Semien maybe others.

It's not that Peralta's stuff isn't on par with Samardzija it's that he's far cheaper and has 2 more full seasons of team control over Samardzija. Peralta is also off to a better starting career for his age compared to Samardzija. It took him til he was 28 before he reached 30+ starts in a season. Something Peralta has done twice now at the age of 25.

I talk down Peralta about his background numbers, but I'm also going to talk him up about his durability and still quality outings he provides. He pitches in a known hitters ballpark with far less than stellar defense behind him for a groundball pitcher. Moving him to LA to pitch, he's going to have better numbers just based on the home park alone.

There's a lot to like about Peralta, I like him, but also don't see him as progressing to the Top of the Rotation level for a SP anymore due to his lack of Ks. He's at 6.6K/9 for his career. If he were 7.8 and above literally just a little more than 1k per 9 he'd be a legit #2 borderline #1. He's that close and I think very well worthy of asking for Corey Seager. You may have to add another player while getting another prospect back in return...like Jason Hammel was in the Samardzija deal, but to me to get Seager is worth it.

I put in the another post, I'd add Luis Sardinas ask for Chris Anderson and Zach Lee in return. Put the motion in to place to extend Segura to play 2b after the season and Arcia will be SS long term. You literally may have your #1,2,3 hitters Arcia, Segura, Seager for the next 6-7seasons.

He's that close and I think very well worthy of asking for Corey Seager. You may have to add another player while getting another prospect back in return...like Jason Hammel was in the Samardzija deal, but to me to get Seager is worth it.

I put in the another post, I'd add Luis Sardinas ask for Chris Anderson and Zach Lee in return. Put the motion in to place to extend Segura to play 2b after the season and Arcia will be SS long term. You literally may have your #1,2,3 hitters Arcia, Segura, Seager for the next 6-7seasons.

I think we may need to sweeten the pot a bit to get Seager, but you aren't that far off in your assessment imo. If we could get Van Slyke from them too it'd be a double score.

What exactly would Peralta, Sardinas (Rollins on his last legs) and Davis command from them?

He's that close and I think very well worthy of asking for Corey Seager. You may have to add another player while getting another prospect back in return...like Jason Hammel was in the Samardzija deal, but to me to get Seager is worth it.

I think we may need to sweeten the pot a bit to get Seager, but you aren't that far off in your assessment imo. If we could get Van Slyke from them too it'd be a double score.

What exactly would Peralta, Sardinas (Rollins on his last legs) and Davis command from them?

But why Davis? They have Van Slyke, Pederson, Ethier, Crawford and Guerrero as OF options. What would sweeten the pot is just like I mentioned take Ethiers or Crawfords contract from them. If you're trading away all your quality payroll guys I'd sink in the money as getting the stud prospect in return. The MLBTR just posted that Lohse and Garza are in the trade discussions early with the Brewers being so far out of it. That's going to be near 20mil off the books just this season and 12.5mil each of the next 2 to 3 for Garza. You take on Ethier's 18mil contract play him in the OF or even have him try out 1b and look to maybe trade that contract down the road if need be...maybe paying some money to take it off the clubs hands. Crawford's too, but you might have to ask LA to pick up a small portion of it.

I think they make Van Slyke a full time OF then more upside with the bat. Meanwhile giving Peralta to them vs a 10mil type SP of Anderson or McCarthy types and taking 18mil in payroll off their hands. They possess 25mil roughly to pay a new FA signing next year. Zimmerman? Cueto? They'd solve their SP problems real quick for quite some time. Guerrero moves to 3b. Sardinas at SS. A callup of Darnell Sweeney at 2b. Gonzalez at 1b. Van Slyke Pederson and the high paying OF the Brewers didn't take from LA.

I think it's very reasonable from both sides. What LA loses in Seager, they get a SS and SP and money freed up to go after another Stud SP. Or they could hold on to Ethier and Crawford paying 40mil nearly for their often times one at a time on the field purposes. Don't have the money to sign a Cueto or Zimmerman. but still have Seager to play SS or 3b as a rookie. This can work.

Peralta ceiling is most likely an inning eating #3 with a power arm. Seager is arguably one of the top position prospects in all of baseball. As a Brewer fan, would you have been happy to trade Braun or Prince for a #3 pitcher? I like Wily but like most others have said, he is not that valuable. Dodgers need a pitcher now with McCarthy down but they will not be trading a future All-Star in their minds for him.

Heres a recent brief article about Dodgers feelings towards trading 1 of their big 2

http://www.truebluela.com/2015/4/28/8508551/corey-seager-julio-urias-dodgers-trade-rumors

It seems as through they are more likely to uncork one of these two guys for an Ace pitcher. Not sure if Lucroy will tempt them enough despite MVP level play last year and amazing deal to work with.

Realistically we aren't getting Urias, he is absolutely unreal. He is a special, special, special arm. As good as Lucroy and Gomez are, not sure either a big enough to land him.

Seager is a little more realistic. I can see him as our center piece to a Lucroy deal. Through in Garza or Lohse to sweeten the pot and target.

Here is a look at their systen

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2015/3/9/8176769/los-angeles-dodgers-top-20-prospects-for-2015

Ton of talent to give away

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Dodgers have a lot of young talent under 20 to look at.

1.LHP Urias 18

2. SS Seager 20

3. RHP Holmes 18

4. OF Verdugo 18

5. C J. Leon 19

6. RHP Z. Bird 20

7. 1B C. Bellinger 19

Some nice chip to add. In any deal they will probably grab Lee, Reed or one of the other higher arms.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I would assume that the team would budget quite a bit less attendance revenue now and especially next year, so whereas they may have been able to take on dead money in the past, I bet they don't want to pick up that level of dead money at this time.

There is just no way Urias is available in any trade. None. Take Felix Hernandez pay half his contract for Julio Urias and it's not being made. He's 18 in AA and even with the move up to AA he's putting up Cy Young type numbers on his stat sheet. I'd fully expect him to make the Dodgers ML team mid season next year after the Super 2 cutoff. He'll probably have to be put in some RP roles for his Innings limit to see him make it through the season but you just don't give away a Cy Young SP talent for about anyone.(Hey LA Angels offer up Trout for Pederson/Urias) I wonder how that would play out honestly.

Some severe overvaluing of Urias in here. Top-10 prospects are not untradeable. The only prospects in recent memory who might have been in that category were Strasburg and Harper. Urias could easily be traded tomorrow, especially by a team like Los Angeles that does not have to rely on prospects because they can sign an ace free agent every offseason.

Whether Lucroy is enough is a different matter. Maybe not.

Some severe overvaluing of Urias in here. Top-10 prospects are not untradeable. The only prospects in recent memory who might have been in that category were Strasburg and Harper. Urias could easily be traded tomorrow, especially by a team like Los Angeles that does not have to rely on prospects because they can sign an ace free agent every offseason.

Whether Lucroy is enough is a different matter. Maybe not.

Yeah, it's a shame for the rest of the league that the Dodgers decided to hire a competent GM, but they still operate in a different stratosphere financially then the rest of the league, and their entire future doesn't revolve around whether or not a prospect becomes a star.

It would take a heck of a lot to pry a top 10 prospect from anyone, but it could be done, and MVP caliber CFs and catchers are the type of guys they could be traded for. Lucroy and Gomez, with their talent and contracts, should be two of the most valuable trade chips in all of baseball and are worth more than any single minor league player (and I like prospects). Of course not every prospect is going to be available, but if the Brewers decided to trade Gomez and/or Lucroy, they should get an elite prospect plus some other talented prospects in return. It just depends on whether or not the Brewers are at the point that they'd trade away the two guys who have the potential to bring back a lot in trade. I doubt they will.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 4 weeks later...

This is the team DM needs to target. LA gets the vets to get them over the top, Milwaukee sets themselves up for the future. The can absorb big contracts and need offense and starting pitching in both cases due to injuries. Now it looks like Kershaw might have something wrong. They have shown an appetite for a super deal before with Boston.

The Cubs set the standard for two good to decent starting pitchers for one super elite prospect.

Lohse, Garza, and Braun (California kid and his contract wont scare LA) for.......Seager? Holmes? Urias? ++

The Dodgers are in first place with Kershaw nowhere near in his usual form and having to piece together the back end of their rotation.

Why exactly do they need Lucroy with 26 year old Grandal hitting .287/.402/.465? Braun?? Again not a need worth surrendering top prospects. They have outfielders in abundance.

The Dodgers could use an experienced starter on a relatively short term contract to fill out their rotation on a short term basis. The Brewers have that guy in Lohse and maybe could interest them in Garza. Choice for the Brewers seems to me to go for a B or C level prospect, who may or may not ever reach the big leagues or try and sweeten the deal with a B level guy of their own (Yadiel Rivera??) and try and grab a Turner or a Guerrero to play 3B post Aram in more of a retool on the fly strategy.

Lohse to the Dodgers for Chris Anderson plus Zach Lee. The Brewers get back double the number of first-round picks they gave up for signing Lohse. Everyone in the forum quits whining about the draft pick given up.

Lohse to the Dodgers for Chris Anderson plus Zach Lee. The Brewers get back double the number of first-round picks they gave up for signing Lohse. Everyone in the forum quits whining about the draft pick given up.

Considering the brewers gave up the 17th overall pick and the Cardinals pick at 19 just won their "Minor League Pitcher of the Year" award in 2014, I don't think anyone is going to stop complaining anytime soon. Who knows who the Brewers would have drafted but it wasn't a very smart move. In addition to giving the Cards the sandwich pick. Uhg. No wonder we will never be better than them. Not only did we move them up 1 spot in the draft, we also gave them an extra pick. Good work Doug.

I really really hope we can unload Lohse for something of value so it evens out.

Everyone in the forum quits whining about the draft pick given up.

Yes those crazy people who pointed out of from the start that Lohse would have little impact on the Brewers as a whole and how giving up a 1st round pick was a waste of a resource, those damn whiners are the worst!

Why is it so difficult to truly consider both sides of an argument?

As to the Dodgers, any talk of getting Seager or Urias is mostly fantasy, we don't have the kind of impact players at a position of need who could pull one of those guys. The Brewers would need a home grown version of Kershaw to pull that kind of talent and the best they've managed has been Sheets' 2004.

I had high hopes that Gallardo could ultimately be that kind of pitcher but he never ascended past what he was initially in 2008, which was good, but not in that first tier of pitchers around baseball.

Are people aware that Urias had eye surgery and is on DL so he'd have to be a PTNBL? Not that it matters from a trade perspective how he would be acquired, but Seager is one of the best positional prospects in baseball and same is true of Urias from the pitching perspective, and he's LH.

Zach Lee is a reasonable target, he's not an impact pitcher, but he looks to be a back of the rotation starter and could hold down a rotation spot in the immediate future. Chris Anderson is also a reasonable target, though likely in that 4/5 range as well. I'm not sure what being a 1st round pick has to do with anything, so was Zach Jackson and that's why people thought he should be "good".

I'd rather get 1 pitcher with upside than 2 back of rotation types, I think we have plenty of those starters who could slot at the back end of a rotation in house. The only pitcher I'd target from the Dodgers top 20 prospects is Grant Holmes, he has a legit shot to be #2. If the Brewers aren't able to put a package together to target him then I'd rather just move on.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Community Moderator
Everyone in the forum quits whining about the draft pick given up.

Yes those crazy people who pointed out of from the start that Lohse would have little impact on the Brewers as a whole and how giving up a 1st round pick was a waste of a resource, those damn whiners are the worst!

Why is it so difficult to truly consider both sides of an argument?

Completely agree with TC07. I don't think those who valued the draft pick over the acquisition of an aging pitcher on a team that was on the fringes of contention and had a dire need for an infusion of young talent should be deemed "whiners".

Ironically, four out of the five players taken in that 2013 draft in the range surrounding the Brewers forfeited #17 pick (picks #15-19) were in the top 100 prospects in baseball heading into this season (J.P. Crawford, Braden Shipley, Tim Anderson, Marco Gonzales). I don't know what the Brewers will ultimately get back for Lohse, but I am fairly certain the value won't be anywhere close to the caliber among those four players.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived