Brewer Fanatic

Josh Hamilton traded to Texas Rangers

torts
Rangers only owe 7 million over 3 years, angels are paying the rest. Wow

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I don't get why the players union allowed Hamilton to just give up a bunch of money. Haven't they thrown a hissy fit in the past when players wanted to do this like when the Red Sox tried to get Arod.

He gave up money? I read it that he would be paid the same but the Angels would be paying him the majority.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't get why the players union allowed Hamilton to just give up a bunch of money. Haven't they thrown a hissy fit in the past when players wanted to do this like when the Red Sox tried to get Arod.

He gave up money? I read it that he would be paid the same but the Angels would be paying him the majority.

Texas will pick up about $6MM of the tab, with the remainder of the savings coming from Hamilton sacrificing salary, per the report.

This is from the MLB Trade Rumors story.

the angels are still paying 72 million dollars

Less than halfway through a five-year, $125 million contract, Hamilton was traded Monday by the Angels to their American League West rival for a player to be named or cash. The Angels and owner Arte Moreno, wanting to be rid of Hamilton, agreed to pay most of the remaining $80 million Hamilton is owed under the contract, which runs through 2017.

Hamilton is owed $80.2 million for the remainder of his contract: $20,234,973 of this year's $23 million salary and $30 million in each of the final two seasons.

Texas will pay under $7 million of what is owed to Hamilton, a person familiar with the trade said. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because that was not announced..

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12775283/josh-hamilton-traded-los-angeles-angels-texas-rangers

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Remember when a lot of people said the Brewers should sign him because of his connections to Jerry Narron, etc? Glad we avoided that one.

Easy to play armchair GM but we'd never know how he would do in Milwaukee with having Narron here.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Remember when a lot of people said the Brewers should sign him because of his connections to Jerry Narron, etc? Glad we avoided that one.

Easy to play armchair GM but we'd never know how he would do in Milwaukee with having Narron here.

exactly

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Well, you can say that about a lot of situations, but his numbers in LAA speak for themselves. .739 OPS last season and .745 so far this year. He is 33 now, so I'm not sure how much difference a hitting coach would or will make.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Well, you can say that about a lot of situations, but his numbers in LAA speak for themselves. .739 OPS last season and .745 so far this year. He is 33 now, so I'm not sure how much difference a hitting coach would or will make.

I think there are way too many factors to know how he would have been affected in MKE. Maybe it doesn't change a thing? But maybe it does, hence why you can never play armchair GM in these situations. Too many times a guy changes scenery and boom, he takes off. Hamilton could very easily be in this situation.

He is 33 now, so I'm not sure how much difference a hitting coach would or will make.

I'm certainly no expert on the situation, but wasn't Narron more of a life coach to him than a baseball coach? With just a simple outsider's knowledge of Hamilton's life, I would think that having a trusted "mentor" around could help. No one knows, and I do agree that as a Brewer fan all things being equal I'm glad we didn't sign him to a monster contract.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

He is 33 now, so I'm not sure how much difference a hitting coach would or will make.

I'm certainly no expert on the situation, but wasn't Narron more of a life coach to him than a baseball coach? With just a simple outsider's knowledge of Hamilton's life, I would think that having a trusted "mentor" around could help. No one knows, and I do agree that as a Brewer fan all things being equal I'm glad we didn't sign him to a monster contract.

Given how cheap he came from the Angels - and for how much of his salary the Angels paid, it would have been worth a flyer, IMO. Say as a platoon partner for Khris Davis at worst.

Given how cheap he came from the Angels - and for how much of his salary the Angels paid, it would have been worth a flyer, IMO. Say as a platoon partner for Khris Davis at worst.

In the trade the Rangers/Angels just made, then yes, although as Logan said that probably wasn't a possibility.

A couple of years back, when he was a free-agent prior to signing with the Angels, there were people here that wanted to make a huge free agent offer for Hamilton. A few posters here were referring to that, and I was responding to them.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived