Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Sunday 4/26

Mass Haas

I have no problem with Coulter staying down. My issue is Roache who I felt didn't deserve to be held back in first place. Simply by moving up and out of such an unfriendly offensive atmosphere, he'd improve. He is 23 already and doesn't need to be babied like a young 19/20 year old kid. He should be put back on track as a prospect. He should be there no later than early June.

Coulter I don't mind. He is behind Roache in promotion pecking order to begin with. He needs to sustain this success and continue to build his confidence. He is young at level so no need to move him quick. However, nationally, a promotion to AA could put him into top 75 prospects if not higher. Young guys who move quick and earn promotions receive more love in rankings (which I'm sure crew doesn't care about)

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
No one is suggesting that Coulter get promoted...at least no one in this thread. Someone just postulated that he'd be a monster in Biloxi.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Wow, my PC just ate and disappeared a mega-Biloxi post with audio and more (bummer), so until later today, here's the doubleheader recap from the Shuckers site.

Hope you read the recap, here are the two audio highlights the Shuckers released from Game One:

Yadiel Rivera RBI double

Jim Henderson final out

And just in case you didn't get a chance to review box scores / game logs:

Biloxi Game One

Biloxi Game Two

Roache didn't hit well enough to earn a promotion, it's that simple. I'm glad he's hitting well now but as I said I'm not convinced that a couple of weeks means he's truly ready for AA.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

VIDEO: Adam Weisenburger hits an RBI double as the Blue Wahoos fall, 2-1, to Biloxi, in Game One.

VIDEO: Biloxi's Yadiel Rivera hits a go-ahead double as the Shuckers top Pensacola, 2-1, in Game One.

VIDEO: Biloxi's Orlando Arcia hits a sacrifice fly as the Shuckers fall, 2-1, to Pensacola, in Game Two.

Roache is still striking out a ton. It has yet to be seen if he can sustain (ie for more than a month or two) an adequate batting average with the high strike out totals, or if cutting down on the strike outs will lead to less power. Echoing TheCrew, I'm not convinced it's anything more than a hot streak at the plate. Give him 3 months there - if he's still raking then, promote him. Pitching gets a lot more difficult going from A+ to AA, so no need to rush him and potentially break his confidence.

And at 23, he's just about average age for A+. I don't think age is a strong argument for moving him up at this point.

The Brewers have 3 guys who are on incredible hot streaks to start the year in Coulter, Roache, and Arcia. Obviously this is very exciting and hopefully the beginning of a resurgence in the system. That being said Roache is obviously the start to look at with some hesitancy given his past performance. Arcia isn't going to keep hitting .400 + but everyone does expect him to perform very well. Coulter may not continue his SLG; but he probably is the best overall bat in the system.

If Roache keeps hitting like this it is fantastic and the fact that his HR's are all opposite field makes me somewhat optimistic that his approach has improved. If he is still hitting like this at the end of May then perhaps my hopes will be higher. Brewers could have a glut of good major league OF's in 2-3 years in Coulter, Roache, Harrison, and Taylor to go along with Braun and Davis already in Milwaukee. If everything works out someone in that group is probably playing 1st.

Very excited about Roache's start and given his age I'd like to see him get a midseason promotion. But given his lack of success in past years whether it is building confidence or making sure it isn't just a hot streak he needs to mash for a little while yet. As for Coulter I'm OK if he spends the year in A+, but he's hit pretty well all the way along and has always been a big bat guy, so to me he's a guy you move along since it sounds like the defense is doing OK. Again young enough that you want to see it's more than just a hot streak, but if he' still above a 1.000 OPS at the end of May it is hard to make a case he has a lot to prove in the FSL.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Roache is still striking out a ton. It has yet to be seen if he can sustain (ie for more than a month or two) an adequate batting average with the high strike out totals, or if cutting down on the strike outs will lead to less power. Echoing TheCrew, I'm not convinced it's anything more than a hot streak at the plate. Give him 3 months there - if he's still raking then, promote him. Pitching gets a lot more difficult going from A+ to AA, so no need to rush him and potentially break his confidence.

And at 23, he's just about average age for A+. I don't think age is a strong argument for moving him up at this point.

Agreed....three months is more or less right after the draft. Brewers wouldn't promote anyone before that most season. That was my only point.

Guess I didn't word that too well.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived