Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun - Worst Contract in Franchise History?

JJHardy7

If Braun hits like he can, why in the world would we want to trade him? We'd have one of the best hitters in the game, on our team. Man... some of you guys floor me.

What is hitting like he can? It is probably too early to look at his numbers this year, but offensively he is worse than last year so far. That can change, but the real question is what can we expect from Braun during the duration of his second extension that starts next year.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Braun hits like he can, why in the world would we want to trade him? We'd have one of the best hitters in the game, on our team. Man... some of you guys floor me.

What is hitting like he can? It is probably too early to look at his numbers this year, but offensively he is worse than last year so far. That can change, but the real question is what can we expect from Braun during the duration of his second extension that starts next year.

Even if Braun once again becomes a .900 OPS guy, the years he will keep up that production will be during our rebuild years (Melvin himself has started saying he sees a 4-6 year rebuild, so I'm starting to believe it will happen). By the time we actually put a decent team back on the field, Braun will be in his mid-to-late 30's, eating up a lot of the team's payroll for a declining player. In other words, hurting the team when it hopefully will have a shot at the playoffs.

I think it's more likely that he is very hard to trade, but if he can show signs of regaining his former form, we should trade him. Let the playoff-hopeful team get his good years, while taking on the 16-year payment obligation and sending us some much needed quality prospects to help us as we emerge from the rebuild.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

This is the perfect time to trade Braun. He has had a really nice week, and let's find a sucker to help load up our farm system, even if we have to pay half his contract to obtain better prospects, it would be a nice deal.

Wanting to trade Braun has nothing to do with PEDs. His second contract was bad the second the ink was dry. 20+ mil for a late 30s corner outfielder is an awful thing in a market like Milwaukee. If he has a big year, absolutely deal him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I haven't read through the whole thread but I think the Teddy Higuera contract was probably worse than Braun's.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Wanting to trade Braun has nothing to do with PEDs. His second contract was bad the second the ink was dry. 20+ mil for a late 30s corner outfielder is an awful thing in a market like Milwaukee. If he has a big year, absolutely deal him.

It would have been fine had he been an All Star caliber player, and by that I mean with popularity and marketability, into his mid 30's.

As of now, its all about find a taker once he shows a few weeks of production so that he can be traded before his next injury and or slump.

and by that I mean with popularity and marketability, into his mid 30's.

That certainly had a lot to do with the signing. Attanasio has said that he believes fans buy tickets to see players they know. I'm sure there were visions of the ticket sales surrounding milestones like 3,000 hits, 400 HR, etc., and the feeling that they'd have a "face of the franchise" like the Brewers haven't had since Robin Yount retired.

From the owners' eyes, there have to be two goals: Making money and winning ball games. When Attanasio signed this contract, he probably felt it would help with both.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Good grief.

Braun didn't start getting scrutinized because of one bad performance, and one good performance with 2 HR's at the most hitter-friendly park in baseball doesn't mean he's turned it around.

Re-evaluate at mid-season, but yeah, of course you want to trade Braun if he turns it around, if you can. Why would you want to keep a 30+ year old trade piece on one of the worst teams in the league the next 5 years?

Because he's probably the closest thing to a "face of the franchise" the Brewers have, and he DID take less money to stay in Milwaukee. To trade him could be a huge negative in keeping home-grown talent in the future.

Loyalty is a two -way street.

Loyalty? Loyalty!? :laughing :laughing The guy signed a "team friendly" contract while cheating and has screwed the franchise over it. The deal isn't team friendly and he would NOT have gotten that much on the open market. Why you ask? Because this is the last year of the original pact...you think he would snatch 5/$100mil this offseason? Not a chance. Pretty sure no future homegrown talent cares if we decided to trade away a liar/cheater...nor does anyone in their right mind consider Braun "loyal".

If the Brewers want to trade Braun it would have to now before he gets his no trade clause next year.

and by that I mean with popularity and marketability, into his mid 30's.

That certainly had a lot to do with the signing. Attanasio has said that he believes fans buy tickets to see players they know. I'm sure there were visions of the ticket sales surrounding milestones like 3,000 hits, 400 HR, etc., and the feeling that they'd have a "face of the franchise" like the Brewers haven't had since Robin Yount retired.

From the owners' eyes, there have to be two goals: Making money and winning ball games. When Attanasio signed this contract, he probably felt it would help with both.

The owner was right. The contract was fine given the known facts at the time. Factoring in the "other" issues since, the contract is now crippling. I am sure Mark A feels like he was sold a lemon and that can't be good around the office.

Once Braun gets hot for two weeks, its time to dump him. Pay up to half his contract if they have to, and get back an attractive group of prospects.

I am a bit surprised to see a "worst contract in history" thread and not one Marquis Grissom reference. BF.net was just coming into its own at the tail end of the Grissom Era, so I thought he might get a mention or two. Yes, technically, Cleveland who signed him to the 5-year, 25 million dollar contact, but who made the bigger mistake- Cleveland for signing him or Milwaukee for trading for him?

Anyways, Milwaukee paid him 15 million for OPS+ of 79, 86 and 63 in 1998, 1999 and 2000, including a stellar 288 OBP in 640 PA in his last year in Milwaukee.

The Brewers won 74, 74 and 73 games with the Gripper roaming CF, and while he was hardly the only problem, he was their best paid problem.

Nothing like reminiscing about the good ol' days to take ones mind of the current Brewers.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

he was their best paid problem

I'd say he was their worst paid problem :-)

Good call bringing up that bad deal.

~Bill Walsh

Nothing like reminiscing about the good ol' days to take ones mind of the current Brewers.

After seeing your post I checked out Marquis' stats and stumbled across Jeff Juden's name. Yeesh.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

After seeing your post I checked out Marquis' stats and stumbled across Jeff Juden's name. Yeesh.

Homer, it's ok. They can't hurt you anymore.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Homer, it's ok. They can't hurt you anymore.

:laughing

I haven't heard JJ's name in a long time. (Must..resist... looking.. at..JJ's wikipedia...)

I am a bit surprised to see a "worst contract in history" thread and not one Marquis Grissom reference. BF.net was just coming into its own at the tail end of the Grissom Era, so I thought he might get a mention or two. Yes, technically, Cleveland who signed him to the 5-year, 25 million dollar contact, but who made the bigger mistake- Cleveland for signing him or Milwaukee for trading for him?

Anyways, Milwaukee paid him 15 million for OPS+ of 79, 86 and 63 in 1998, 1999 and 2000, including a stellar 288 OBP in 640 PA in his last year in Milwaukee.

The Brewers won 74, 74 and 73 games with the Gripper roaming CF, and while he was hardly the only problem, he was their best paid problem.

That was a beauty for sure. Grissom was a guy I wanted to cheer for but the reality was he was the worst everyday player in the game at the time.

Im sure someone must have mentioned Jeffery Hammonds too. 3 yrs $21M and no OPS+ of 100 in any year. Dean Taylor sure knew his major league talent.

Verified Member

...and then there is the Jeffery Hammonds bobblehead, sitting there reminding me/us of that situation everytime I/we look at it.

What a cruel joke the Brewers played on all future bobble collectors.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Verified Member

Excellent article on Baseball Prospectus about Braun's struggles:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=26269

Cliffs:

1) Obviously the thumb nerve issue was the reason for his problems last season.

2) May still be trying to break bad habits this season - swinging at too many pitches.

3) Pitchers last year learned they could exploit him inside and still are.

4) Power is there, though - batted-ball velocity and hard-hit percentage are very high.

5) BABIP is extremely low, indicating that he may be "unlucky" so far and could see his numbers improve.

All in all, the data suggest two things: (1) Braun seems to be fighting bad habits he developed last year while dealing with a nerve injury in his thumb; (2) if he cannot close the hole in his swing on the inner third of the plate, he should still be effective and hit for power but will likely struggle reach the elite pre-injury levels of production.

Excellent article on Baseball Prospectus about Braun's struggles:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=26269

Cliffs:

1) Obviously the thumb nerve issue was the reason for his problems last season.

2) May still be trying to break bad habits this season - swinging at too many pitches.

3) Pitchers last year learned they could exploit him inside and still are.

4) Power is there, though - batted-ball velocity and hard-hit percentage are very high.

5) BABIP is extremely low, indicating that he may be "unlucky" so far and could see his numbers improve.

All in all, the data suggest two things: (1) Braun seems to be fighting bad habits he developed last year while dealing with a nerve injury in his thumb; (2) if he cannot close the hole in his swing on the inner third of the plate, he should still be effective and hit for power but will likely struggle reach the elite pre-injury levels of production.

I read this a couple of days ago - good stuff. There is some hope in what he writes. A lot is about Braun getting himself out of the bad habits he has developed.

I don't think many people believe he's going to suddenly be a 1.000 OPS guy again - but he can still be a good hitter if he adjusts, cleans up some bad habits and gets a little more lucky.

I'll never forget the Brewers signing Franklin Stubbs to a two year contract 25 years ago. It after the 1990 season, and the club gave him, if I recall, something like a two-year, $4.4 million deal. He had had a career year in '90, hitting 23 HR and producing an .809 OPS. But the guys had done zilch before that. Plus, he was a bad defender.

I remember just shaking my head at the time. If I remember correctly, the deal was done at the Winter Meetings, and the club was looking to add some power, but couldn't find anyone who wanted to come to Milwaukee. They panicked and ended up going after Stubbs. Predictably, he sucked - a .652 OPS with the team.

In the grand scheme of things a bad two year contract isn't a killer. But for some reason I"ll never forget it. I think it was tough because the team was decent at that time, and a good signing might have helped us actually make the playoffs.

I'll never forget the Brewers signing Franklin Stubbs to a two year contract 25 years ago. It after the 1990 season, and the club gave him, if I recall, something like a two-year, $4.4 million deal. He had had a career year in '90, hitting 23 HR and producing an .809 OPS. But the guys had done zilch before that. Plus, he was a bad defender.

I remember just shaking my head at the time. If I remember correctly, the deal was done at the Winter Meetings, and the club was looking to add some power, but couldn't find anyone who wanted to come to Milwaukee. They panicked and ended up going after Stubbs. Predictably, he sucked - a .652 OPS with the team.

In the grand scheme of things a bad two year contract isn't a killer. But for some reason I"ll never forget it. I think it was tough because the team was decent at that time, and a good signing might have helped us actually make the playoffs.

Ha, I can still remember being a 9 year old at County Stadium hearing these two guys just heckle Stubbs to death about how much of a bust he was and what a waste of money. And my Dad not joining in their fun but nodding his head in agreement.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Thanks Stache. You said it all. Braun is going to be fine. He's really transforming to being a top hitter again. Like you said, he needs time to work out the kinks.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Braun has been really patient lately, 4 walks in the last 2 games? That OBP keeps climbing!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Braun has been really patient lately, 4 walks in the last 2 games? That OBP keeps climbing!

That's funny. What's changed? Oh yeah, the manager. Anyone else think Counsell might have had Braun in his office this week and told him to take the walks?

Archived