Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun - Worst Contract in Franchise History?

JJHardy7

That's why only four players in the history of Major League Baseball had more extra base hits in their first six seasons than Ryan Braun. Those men? Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Chuck Klein and Albert Pujols.

Door County would like you to pick their cherries.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I the only one that notices in all the hoopla about Kris Bryant that nobody ever brings up Braun and his incredible 2007 debut season with the bat as a comparison? It's like Bryant is completely unique and/or nobody wants to be connected with anything Braun has ever done because of his PEDs.

That's why only four players in the history of Major League Baseball had more extra base hits in their first six seasons than Ryan Braun. Those men? Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Chuck Klein and Albert Pujols.

Door County would like you to pick their cherries.

Nah they use shakers. The only hand picked ones are pick your own.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If Braun hits like he can, why in the world would we want to trade him? We'd have one of the best hitters in the game, on our team. Man... some of you guys floor me.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If Braun hits like he can, why in the world would we want to trade him? We'd have one of the best hitters in the game, on our team. Man... some of you guys floor me.

BECUIZ HEZ A CHEETUR

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Why? Because his offense will be wasted on a bad/mediocre team over the next 3 seasons. The overwhelming strength of the Brewers right now is AA and below. If they can get a couple top shelf prospects at that level for Braun, they are stocking talent for when they can be relevant again a few years down the road. Oh, and save 10s of millions in the process.

Or, I suppose, they could stay the course and continue to surround him with guys like Wolf and Lohse and hope they hit a year where everything goes right.

I could see the argument for it if the team was going total rebuild. If we traded him, Gomez and Lucroy we could boost our farm to one of the best in one year. I'm not saying I am for that but I can see the argument.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Braun seemed to have a little swagger going around the bases on the slam. That we have nonly four players in the history of Major League Baseball had more extra base hits in their first six seasons than Ryan Braun[/url]. Those men? Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Chuck Klein and Albert Pujols.

All those guys kind of suck now. Maybe Pujols can rebound, but I'm not expecting much from Williams unless they re-attach his head to a robotic body.

3 of those guys are dead.

http://cdn.hark.com/images/000/318/982/318982/original.jpg

"Well cross them OFF then"

Sell high! As others say, this team needs to rebuild, so he could potentially fetch some big prospects (if he's hot). There is just a lot of risk with his health and lack of HGH. I'd rather sell and get something incase he falls apart completely. For the record, I'm not saying dump him for junk, it would have to be a good trade.

Why? Because his offense will be wasted on a bad/mediocre team over the next 3 seasons. The overwhelming strength of the Brewers right now is AA and below. If they can get a couple top shelf prospects at that level for Braun, they are stocking talent for when they can be relevant again a few years down the road. Oh, and save 10s of millions in the process.

I''m by no means against trading Braun if he hits well enough to draw interest, but given his baggage and long term contract, i just have a really hard time seeing another team taking on THAT contract, the baggage, and also throwing in a couple of high quality prospects.

Completely off topic, but Danzig..are you a horseracing fan at all? There is a horse in the Derby on Saturday named Danzig Moon. Maybe you should put a few bills on him?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I''m by no means against trading Braun if he hits well enough to draw interest, but given his baggage and long term contract, i just have a really hard time seeing another team taking on THAT contract, the baggage, and also throwing in a couple of high quality prospects.

I just don't buy the "baggage" issue. I think it's a bigger deal to us since we lived in every day. There are so many guys that got tagged by the PED thing, I just don't think it's an issue. Teams want to know he can hit .850- .900 again without PEDs, injuries behind him, etc. And yes, it will take more than a week or two to prove that. But IF that day comes, I think there's enough teams where his salary wouldn't scare them one bit. They just need to be convinced that "old Braun" is back. (Or even 85-90% of the old Braun, since OPS is down across MLB from a few years ago.)

Completely off topic, but Danzig..are you a horseracing fan at all? There is a horse in the Derby on Saturday named Danzig Moon. Maybe you should put a few bills on him?

30-1. That's some sweet action!

Sure is...especially if you believe this article..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/04/30/heres-why-your-2015-kentucky-derby-pick-shouldnt-include-any-of-the-favorites/

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Things that are not likely to happen, and the odds of them happening.

Braun becoming a .950 - 1.000 OPS hitter again.

I'd say 1 in 8. Braun is an elite talent. However, he's got the thumb issue, a history of other niggling injuries, and he's on the wrong side of 30. He's also a previous performance enhancer, and we just don't know to what degree that enhanced his ability in his peak years. Maybe not at all. But at this point, I just don't think it's highly likely that he's ever going to be a "Top-5 in the game" type hitter going forward. And that's ok. If he can be an .850-ish hitter (possible, bordering on probable), he's still going to earn his money.

Braun getting traded.

I'd say something around 1/10 to 1/12. Despite a lot of talk about Lucroy now being the "Face of the Franchise", Luc has an eminently more tradeable contract, is approaching a really bad age for a catcher, and just doesn't have the hit ability to stick around at first base if he declines. We know how Mark A operates, and I think no matter how bad they are this year, Mark is going to want to "reload" rather than "rebuild". Maybe a disastrous 65 win season will finally be the impetus he needs to see that reloading with middling and overpriced, aging vets is not what this club needs, but we'll see. I don't see this club as being ready to cut bait with Brauny yet.

Braun getting moved back to 3rd base.

1 in....... about a bajillion.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/49/49ded2238ba4eaaca94bf22f509c13db3e7699d8a1934664cd942a491650b05f.jpg

I'd say 1 in 8. Braun is an elite talent. However, he's got the thumb issue, a history of other niggling injuries, and he's on the wrong side of 30. He's also a previous performance enhancer, and we just don't know to what degree that enhanced his ability in his peak years. Maybe not at all. But at this point, I just don't think it's highly likely that he's ever going to be a "Top-5 in the game" type hitter going forward. And that's ok. If he can be an .850-ish hitter (possible, bordering on probable), he's still going to earn his money.

Plus there just are not to many hitters that hit like that year after year. Not like there was just 5 years ago.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Braun getting traded.

I'd say something around 1/10 to 1/12. Despite a lot of talk about Lucroy now being the "Face of the Franchise", Luc has an eminently more tradeable contract, is approaching a really bad age for a catcher, and just doesn't have the hit ability to stick around at first base if he declines. We know how Mark A operates, and I think no matter how bad they are this year, Mark is going to want to "reload" rather than "rebuild". Maybe a disastrous 65 win season will finally be the impetus he needs to see that reloading with middling and overpriced, aging vets is not what this club needs, but we'll see. I don't see this club as being ready to cut bait with Brauny yet.

Braun getting moved back to 3rd base.

1 in....... about a bajillion.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/49/49ded2238ba4eaaca94bf22f509c13db3e7699d8a1934664cd942a491650b05f.jpg

On top of all that offense is down over 20% since his prime. Even if he became the player he used to be it would probably be the tune of a 15-20% drop in stats.

This by Danzig:

This thread originally began as discussing Braun having the worst contract in franchise history. 3HRs in 2 days suddenly makes him the trade piece to get quality prospects in return?

It's like the Jean Segura contract extension his full rookie year...Sign him now! to Thank god we didn't. to he's part of the Brewers next core or very much worthy of a good prospect. Give it time. Production. There's no reason to trade Braun today. It's a salary relief trade and selling low on his overall production. He should be kept through the season at minimum, barring some owner/GM offering a dream trade scenario before then.

But it's like Danzig said, a team to take on that contract, his PED baggage, and to do that dream scenario? I know I just woke up an hour ago, but I didn't even dream that.

Good grief.

Braun didn't start getting scrutinized because of one bad performance, and one good performance with 2 HR's at the most hitter-friendly park in baseball doesn't mean he's turned it around.

Re-evaluate at mid-season, but yeah, of course you want to trade Braun if he turns it around, if you can. Why would you want to keep a 30+ year old trade piece on one of the worst teams in the league the next 5 years?

On top of all that offense is down over 20% since his prime. Even if he became the player he used to be it would probably be the tune of a 15-20% drop in stats.

Braun's prime years for production and age were 2011 and 2012. Offense is down 5-7% since then and if 2015 remains up then the current year will be roughly 1% lower in total offense compared to 2011 and 2012. Hardly the 15-20% you pulled out of somewhere.....

Good grief.

Braun didn't start getting scrutinized because of one bad performance, and one good performance with 2 HR's at the most hitter-friendly park in baseball doesn't mean he's turned it around.

Re-evaluate at mid-season, but yeah, of course you want to trade Braun if he turns it around, if you can. Why would you want to keep a 30+ year old trade piece on one of the worst teams in the league the next 5 years?

Because he's probably the closest thing to a "face of the franchise" the Brewers have, and he DID take less money to stay in Milwaukee. To trade him could be a huge negative in keeping home-grown talent in the future.

Loyalty is a two -way street.

Archived