Brewer Fanatic

Broxton or KRod to Det?

Total speculation on my part but with Nathan down for the year and Detroit having a disaster of a bullpen the last few years I wonder if they would be interested in either. I doubt the dollars or lengths of either of their contracts would be an issue since their owner is willing to do anything to win a WS before he dies.

Cotts is on this team? Hardly remember seeing him pitch so far. Much like Gorzo.

I'd be open to a trade to DET. Krod would be nice to dump off since he is signed through at least next season. It'd be great to get ourselves out of that contract. Broxton is at least off the books after this season.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'll take Buck Farmer in return.

24 years old. Was called up last year and did not do so hot but has had some really good success throughout the minors.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'll take Buck Farmer in return.

24 years old. Was called up last year and did not do so hot but has had some really good success throughout the minors.

The Brewers actually drafted him and I liked him a lot. However, I think they couldn't sign him or something and the Tigers ended up getting him the following year.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I think any team that is tied to Rafael Soriano, Dougie should be on the phone immediately saying we'll give you either of our back end guys free of charge for a decent prospect......Mariners now linked to Soriano, Jordy Lara possibly? AA, 1B, batted .353 with 22HR's after struggling his first couple years in low minors.

I think any team that is tied to Rafael Soriano, Dougie should be on the phone immediately saying we'll give you either of our back end guys free of charge for a decent prospect......Mariners now linked to Soriano, Jordy Lara possibly? AA, 1B, batted .353 with 22HR's after struggling his first couple years in low minors.

Why would a team give up a decent prospect for either when they could have Soriano for a few million?

Soriano was demoted from Washington's closer role for a reason last year and hasn't gone through any teams spring training/throwing programs like current MLB's have for 2.5 months. You going to try and bolster your pen on your contending team with guys like that?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

At this point, any trade of Broxton or K-Rod (you can add in Cotts) is strictly going to be dumping salary. Anyone we get will be just a non-prospect. I guess any of these guys could get on an extended hot streak and jack up their value. But aside from Cotts, they are still expensive pieces for their respective positions.

Also, I do think that money does matter to Detroit - otherwise they would have shelled out money for Neshek, Gregerson and other quality relievers in the off season. Detroit's bullpen issues are long standing.

Should be noted that there's nothing wrong with salary relief. If we have a bad season the club will likely need to find ways to make sure for lost revenue (assuming attendance goes down with poor play - which it usually does).

The real question here is whether Detroit has learned their lesson finally.

They seemed to be obsessed plugging in guys that have "closer experience" (Phil Coke who had a tiny bit of it briefly before was plugged in and promptly destroyed by righties) and paying up for vets. Dumping a ton of money into an aging Nathan, Valverde, trading for Soria who has been a mixed bag, etc.

I feel like Nathan may have been the breaking point, especially with Jim Leyland not around, where they are smart about the position and wouldn't overpay for 2 declining guys that are very overpaid.

Archived