Link Report for Wednesday 4/22

Mass Haas

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wednesday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: LHP Nick Additon at Round Rock (Rangers), 6:35 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

We welcome Dan Karcher, who is the longtime play-by-play voice of the Sky Sox; follow him on Twitter @SkySoxKarch

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Colorado Springs games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. The video of each game is archived online, which is a nice feature. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

NOTE: Notice that on MiLB.TV's page, you can click on "Filter", then "Milwaukee Brewers", and you'll see just the Crew's organizational TV lineup.

Biloxi: RHP Tyler Wagner at "home" vs. Jacksonville (Marlins), 11:35 AM pre-game, 12:05 PM gametime; the Shuckers will be the home team in this series, including last at-bat rights

Free Live Audio Link

We also welcome Chris Harris as the very first play-by-play voice of the Shuckers! Follow Chris on Twitter @CHarris731. We'll be looking off to his very promising "Shuck Dynasty" blog. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be radio broadcast.

MiLB.TV - Seven of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games, and Biloxi staff indicates it is hopeful it will be eight when the new stadium opens.

NOTE: This series from Jacksonville is airing on MiLB.TV, nice.

Brevard County: RHP Javier Salas at home vs. Lakeland (Tigers), 9:00 AM pre-game, 9:30 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Dave Walkovic returns as the play-by-play voice of the 'Tees; follow the Brevard broadcast booth staff on Twitter @BCManateesRadio, as all games are scheduled to be broadcast in 2015.

No Florida State League games are available via MiLB.TV.

Wisconsin: LHP Kodi Medeiros at home vs. Cedar Rapids (Twins), 6:15 PM pre-game, 6:35 gametime; expect RHP David Burkhalter to also pitch in a tandem role

Free Live Audio Link - WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

NOTE: Forty-two (!) of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (9) and WACY-TV My NEW32 (34) will split duties. We'll let you know when and who, and remember to refer to the Rattlers' full TV schedule so you can coordinate your DVR activity.

So, for the $49.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sky Sox games, most Shuckers games, and all Timber Rattlers home games and some road games.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
NOTE: Forty-two (!) of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (9) and WACY-TV My NEW32 (34) will split duties. We'll let you know when and who, and remember to refer to the Rattlers' full TV schedule so you can coordinate your DVR activity.

DVR ALERT!

Tonight's (Wednesday's) and Friday's Timber Rattler games will be televised on MyNew32 TV this week, both with 6:30 PM air times.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Look for these just prior to the respective game times --

Colorado Springs Media Notes - It's a unique link each day, but look for it under the "Multimedia" banner on the Sky Sox' site.

Biloxi Media Notes - Linked on the Shuck Dynasty blog

Brevard County Media Notes - It's a unique link each day, but look for it under the "Multimedia" banner on the Manatees' site.

Wisconsin Media Notes - Linked on the Rattler Radio blog

STANDINGS:

AAA - Pacific Coast League American Northern Division

AA - Southern League South Division

High-A - Florida State League North Division

A - Midwest League Western Division

Sortable individual stat pages:

Colorado Springs

Biloxi

Brevard County

Wisconsin

Weather.com:

Round Rock, TX

Jacksonville, FL

Viera, FL

Grand Chute, WI

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The link report is all I have given how the big leaguers are doing.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Lakeland 3, Brevard County 1

No comeback in this game. Garfield and Eshleman singled to lead off the 9th and were bunted to 2nd and 3rd but they couldn't get the game tying hit. Really both teams played like it was a morning game after a doubleheader.

Manatees fall to Lakeland on Education Day

Michael Parsons, FLORIDA TODAY 3:12 p.m. EDT April 22, 2015

Minor League Baseball: Lakeland Flying Tigers at Brevard County Manatees

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/1d04cac505a27f0ab2814523bd8bf66aa467056b/c=331-0-3052-2041&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/Brevard/2015/04/22/B9317078321Z.1_20150422151211_000_G9OAJ303E.1-0.jpg

VIERA – The chants were loud as hundreds of public school students cheered on the home town Brevard County Manatees on Wednesday as part of Education Day at Space Coast Stadium.

But the Lakeland Flying Tigers spoiled the fun, defeating the Manatees 3-1. In all, 13 schools from around Brevard County were represented among the 951 in attendance for the 10:30 a.m. game.

“That is what it is all about, it is great to have fans come out but especially kids,” Brevard County Manatees manager Joe Ayrault said. “You would like to win the ball game so they tell their parents they have to go see another ball game but it is good to see them come out.”

What the students and other fans saw was a sharp Lakeland starting pitcher in Ryan Longstreth, who gave up one run in six innings to pick up his first win.

The Manatees lost the second game in a row to Lakeland, after the first game in the series was rained out on Monday night. Brevard County fell to 6-7 on the season.

Manatees officials hoped this year’s Education Day would take on an anti-bullying message by inviting ESPN reporter and Satellite High graduate Britt McHenry. McHenry was in the news last week after a video of her verbally berating a towing company clerk went viral.

Officials reached out to see if she’d like to deliver an anti-bullying message as part of the Education Day festivities, but McHenry was a no-show, so the game went on as planned.

The Manatees fell behind in the third inning as Lakeland runners scored on a balk and an error.

The home team scored its lone run in the fourth inning when Cameron Garfield walked and later scored on a fielder’s choice.

Catcher Paul Eschleman continued to hit well since being called up this week, going 2-for-3.

“Two days in a row of swinging the bat well,” Ayrault said. “He had a good approach at the plate today, he was one of the guys that had a good approach against a tough lefty today.”

Brevard County will hit the road for six games before returning home for a series with Daytona on April 30.

The team will face Dunedin for a three-game series beginning tonight and Jorge Ortega will take the mound for the third time this season. He is 1-1 with a 3.21 ERA this season.

“We haven’t had any overnighters yet, so looking forward to it” Ayrault said. “Looking forward to going to the West coast and playing some overhand hard ball.”

Brevard County Box Score

Brevard County Game Log

Clint Coulter was 0-2 with 2 walks. Victor Roache got one single. Javi Salas pitched pretty well again, going 7 innings.

Final line: 7 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 0 W, 5 K, 8/5 GO/FO

Kaleb Earls worked 2 perfect innings to close the game.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Kaleb Earls worked 2 perfect innings to close the game.

Considering this is his age 22 season and the Brewers jumped him over Wisconsin, fantastic scoreless 6.2 innings (four hits, no walks, four K's) to start the year.

Provides some faith that management is able to identify those worthy of a jump out of spring training...

And how about the productive innings Javi Salas is throwing out there...

from http://www.goupstate.com/article/20140607/ARTICLES/140609668?p=1&tc=pg

Earls, a 6-foot-5 junior right-hander, was followed closely all season by Brewers scouts and was asked to come to a pre-draft workout May 29 at Miller Park in Milwaukee. He said he got another phone call Friday night from the team but heard nothing Saturday — until the cheer from inside the house.

“I knew the Brewers really liked me, especially after that workout in Milwaukee,” Earls said. “I had also talked to the Braves and the Mets, but I really felt like the Brewers would take me.”

Earls pitched 82 innings with three complete games this season for Limestone, posting a 4.15 ERA and striking out 87 batters. It was a drastic increase in pitch speed during the past year that caught the eyes of scouts. He went from mid-80s as a sophomore to a consistent low-90s as a junior and hit 95 mph on the radar gun during a game in which Brewers and Braves scouts were present.

“I haven't played summer ball since American Legion (Post 109 in Gaffney) after my freshman year of college,” Earls said. “After my sophomore year, I decided to just work out and long-toss. I threw with Michael Wright (Gaffney High/SMC) three times a week and did a lot of running. I gained a lot of muscle weight, too, and went from 165 pounds to 190. That made a huge difference in momentum toward the plate. … Next thing I knew, I had a bunch of scouts impressed with me.”

To me the key here is to draft (late) many young, not yet grown, 165 pound, mid 80s guys. Then if you get a couple or three that go from mid 80s to 95 (already under your control), you have hope. In any case, the story reads well!

The pitching of Tyler Wagner and Michael Strong is certainly encouraging. Even if they pitch great the entire season I wonder if they stay in AA instead of going to Colorado. Maybe a September callup for Strong since he is on the 40 man.

Strong has had problems walking people in the past and he's walked 5 guys in his first 10 1/13 IP this year, so I would be careful with promoting him until he shows he is able to repeat the command improvements he exhibited last year. I'd guess that Obispo, Chapman, and maybe Ross have a leg up on promotion to AAA should the need arise, at least in the near term.

I'm also somewhat concerned by Wagner's lack of strikeouts. I know it's a small sample early in the season but his K rate hasn't exactly been great the past few years and he needs to start missing more bats if he's going to be successful at AAA and beyond. Especially if his groundball rate doesn't bounce back from last year.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Bunch of audio released by the 'Tees --

AUDIO 4/20: Manager Joe Ayrault, this is Monday's pregame interview after Sunday's epic 12-inning win

AUDIO 4/21: Jerry Durney of the Manatees Radio Network is joined by 3B Taylor Brennan

AUDIO 4/21, Game Highlights: The Flying Tigers hold off the Manatees, 4-3, in Game One of Tuesday's doubleheader

AUDIO 4/21 (in-between games Tuesday): Infielder Brandon Macias -- this was before his Wednesday promotion to Colorado Springs

AUDIO 4/21, Game Highlights: Paul Eshleman hits a walk-off two-run homer to give the Manatees an 8-6 victory; excitement for the huge 9th inning which includes Victor Roache's tying blast!

AUDIO 4/22: Jerry Durney is joined by Paul Eshleman, who hit a walk-off homer last night

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Biloxi 4, Jacksonville 1

Late rally helps Wagner earn league-leading third win

Yadiel Rivera and Orlando Arcia extend their streaks in 4-1 win over Jacksonville

Biloxi Shuckers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/5/1/0/119859510/cuts/DSC07605_ax12wnfp_q5owregw.JPG

Yadiel Rivera extended his hitting streak to 10 games on Wednesday afternoon (Photo by John Shadrick)

JACKSONVILLE, FL. - It took a while for the Shuckers' bats to wake up Wednesday afternoon, but they came up with three runs in the sixth and one in the seventh to rally for a 4-1 victory over the Jacksonville Suns at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. Tyler Wagner became the Southern League's first three-game winner on the mound, allowing just a run on three hits over six quality innings, lowering his ERA in the process to 1.59.

Jacksonville (6-6) took the early lead in the third on a solo home run by Justin Bohn and starting pitcher Kendry Flores (L, 1-2) rolled through the first five innings, allowing just two hits and striking out four.

Biloxi (7-5) woke up the bats in the sixth with a three-run rally to grab the lead.

Yadiel Rivera (1x3, R) started things out with a triple that glanced off the glove of third baseman Zach Cox. Rivera took an aggressive slide into second and came off the bag, then proceeded to take off for third and slid just under the tag of Cox. Orlando Arcia (1x2, RBI, R) walked to put runners on the corners for Nick Ramirez (1x4, RBI, R) who floated one into shallow right centerfield to bring in Rivera to tie the game.

Rivera continues to find ways to get hits as he extended his hitting streak to 10 games with the triple and Arcia has now reached base safely in all 12 games after his double in the fourth inning. Rivera's 10-game hitting streak matches Mississippi's Daniel Castro and Montgomery's Tyler Goeddel for the longest this season in the league.

Michael Reed (1x4, RBI) ripped a sharp single to score Arcia and extended the sixth, then Ramirez scored with Nathan Orf (1x4) at the plate on a passed ball by Jacksonville catcher Sharif Othman. Reed has reached base in nine straight games and is batting .414 to start the year.

The Shuckers added on in the seventh when Kyle Wren (1x3, R) reached on a walk and eventually scored from third on a sacrifice fly by Arcia.

Wagner (W, 3-0) was brilliant, yet again, for the Shuckers, allowing just one run on three hits and a walk with three strikeouts during his six innings of work. Mike Strong (H, 1) worked two scoreless innings behind Wagner and then Jaye Chapman (S, 1) pitched a perfect ninth, locking down his first save since 2012.

The Shuckers will look to earn their second series victory on Thursday, sending LHP Hobbs Johnson (0-0, 1.42) to the mound in game four against the Jacksonville Suns on Thursday evening, while the Suns will try to force a rubber match with RHP Austin Price (0-1, 5.79) taking the start. First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 PM, with coverage beginning at 5:50 on 1240-AM WGCM, 1580-AM WPMO and the Biloxi Shuckers Radio Network. Fans can also listen to the game using the TuneIn Radio app or by going to www.biloxishuckers.com.

Biloxi Box Score

Such a strong lineup in the box score (Tyrone Taylor batting 7th), you can really make the argument for just about everyone to be in a productive lineup spot, so each guy is simply making their spot fruitful regardless. The starters are going almost too deep, as their are some talented bullpen guys not getting enough innings, especially with recent seven-inning contests.

Brooks Hall yesterday, Tyler Wagner today, now we look forward to Hobbs Johnson Thursday -- clean defense today, just such a solid age-appropriate and fun club.

Biloxi Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Staff

WV Brew has updated his Manatees coverage with the Florida Today game story from today's early, early matinee, so be sure to click back to this post and catch up on that.

Also, the 'Tees have already posted audio from today's game.

AUDIO, Game Highlights: The Flying Tigers defeat Brevard County, 3-1 on Education Day at Space Coast Stadium

Archived