Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Tuesday 4/21 - Hall Shines for Shuckers; Roache and Eshleman with Final Inning Manatee Magic

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Tuesday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: RHP Chris Leroux at Round Rock (Rangers), 6:35 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

We welcome Dan Karcher, who is the longtime play-by-play voice of the Sky Sox; follow him on Twitter @SkySoxKarch

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Colorado Springs games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. The video of each game is archived online, which is a nice feature. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

NOTE: Notice that on MiLB.TV's page, you can click on "Filter", then "Milwaukee Brewers", and you'll see just the Crew's organizational TV lineup.

Biloxi: RHP's Brooks Hall and Jacob Barnes in a doubleheader at "home" vs. Jacksonville (Marlins), 4:05 PM pre-game, 4:35 gametime; the Shuckers will be the home team in this series, including last at-bat rights; each contest slated for seven innings

Free Live Audio Link

We also welcome Chris Harris as the very first play-by-play voice of the Shuckers! Follow Chris on Twitter @CHarris731. We'll be looking off to his very promising "Shuck Dynasty" blog. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be radio broadcast.

MiLB.TV - Seven of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games, and Biloxi staff indicates it is hopeful it will be eight when the new stadium opens.

NOTE: This series from Jacksonville is airing on MiLB.TV, nice.

Brevard County: LHP Wei-Chung Wang and RHP Brandon Woodruff in a doubleheader at home vs. Lakeland (Tigers), 3:35 PM pre-game, 4:05 gametime; each contest slated for seven innings

Free Live Audio Link

Dave Walkovic returns as the play-by-play voice of the 'Tees; follow the Brevard broadcast booth staff on Twitter @BCManateesRadio, as all games are scheduled to be broadcast in 2015.

No Florida State League games are available via MiLB.TV.

Wisconsin: LHP Zach Hirsch at home vs. Cedar Rapids (Twins), 6:15 PM pre-game, 6:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link - WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

NOTE: Forty-two (!) of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (9) and WACY-TV My NEW32 (34) will split duties. We'll let you know when and who, and remember to refer to the Rattlers' full TV schedule so you can coordinate your DVR activity.

So, for the $49.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sky Sox games, most Shuckers games, and all Timber Rattlers home games and some road games.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
NOTE: Forty-two (!) of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (9) and WACY-TV My NEW32 (34) will split duties. We'll let you know when and who, and remember to refer to the Rattlers' full TV schedule so you can coordinate your DVR activity.

DVR ALERT!

Tonight's (Tuesday's), Wednesday's and Friday's Timber Rattler games will be televised on MyNew32 TV this week, all with 6:30 PM air times.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Look for these just prior to the respective game times --

Colorado Springs Media Notes - It's a unique link each day, but look for it under the "Multimedia" banner on the Sky Sox' site.

Biloxi Media Notes - Linked on the Shuck Dynasty blog

Brevard County Media Notes - It's a unique link each day, but look for it under the "Multimedia" banner on the Manatees' site.

Wisconsin Media Notes - Linked on the Rattler Radio blog

STANDINGS:

AAA - Pacific Coast League American Northern Division

AA - Southern League South Division

High-A - Florida State League North Division

A - Midwest League Western Division

Sortable individual stat pages:

Colorado Springs

Biloxi

Brevard County

Wisconsin

Weather.com:

Round Rock, TX

Jacksonville, FL

Viera, FL

Grand Chute, WI

Brooks Hall now has an many home runs on the year as Ryan Braun, and Clint Coulter has as many as all the Brewers combined.

Pitchers going deep is awesome, the rest makes me sad.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

On my way home it looked like the Appleton area was going to get wet very dark clouds heading that way, I hope things aren't delayed or postponed.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Game 1: Lakeland 4, Brevard County 3

Brevard County Box Score

Brevard County Game Log

Dominic Ficociello, who hit all of 6 home runs last year at West Michigan, homered off Jim Henderson in the 6th for the winning run.

Ben Verlander, who hit 7 home runs the past 2 seasons, hit a 3 run home run off Wei-Chung Wang in the 5th which gave the Tigers the lead.

Victor Roache was called for missing 3rd on the go ahead run in the bottom of the 5th. Joe Ayrault was tossed on the play. He had been the 3rd base coach at the time.

Clint Coulter was 3-4 with a double and a home run.

I'm calling it a night. Will catch the 2nd game in the morning along with the story of Game 1.

Here's the critical 5th for the Manatees:

Brevard County Bottom of the 5th

Christopher McFarland doubles (6) on a fly ball to right fielder Steven Moya.

Taylor Brennan flies out to right fielder Steven Moya.

Clint Coulter doubles (1) on a fly ball to center fielder Jiwan James. Christopher McFarland scores.

Victor Roache singles on a line drive to right fielder Steven Moya. Clint Coulter scores.

Pitching Change: Confesor Lara replaces Jonathan Maciel.

Brandon Macias singles on a line drive to left fielder Ben Verlander. Victor Roache out at 3rd, pitcher Confesor Lara to third baseman Francisco Martinez.

Brevard County Manatees Manager Joe Ayrault ejected by HP umpire Alex Mackay.

Garrett Cooper walks.

Cameron Garfield strikes out swinging.

Gatewood has made a nice play in all 3 innings so far, he's looking the part at SS through the first handful of games I've watched him play. He's made 2 nice plays coming in on ground balls and then slick sliding stop on a looping liner to his left.

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Why this is fun -- listening to the Manatees Radio Call for of Victor Roache's final inning game-tying opposite field blast, followed shortly by Paul Eshleman's walkoff bomb in his first game as a Sea Cow, was fantastic.

Details in the AM...Manatees audio is actually back on the air at 9:00 AM Central Wednesday (pre-game) for an early matinee. Yikes!

Kernels pull away for 10-1 win over Rattlers

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/1/3/0/119719130/cuts/4_Apr21_ElvisRubio_er5h7i9e_il19ivph.jpg

Elvis Rubio had a pair of hits and scored a run for the Rattlers on Tuesday night, but the Kernels defeated Wisconsin 10-1. (Wisconsin Timber Rattlers/Ann Mollica)

GRAND CHUTE, WI - Trey Vavra's three-run homer broke a scoreless tie to send the Cedar Rapids Kernels on their way to a 10-1 victory over the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Tuesday night at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium. Vavra had three hits and drove in five runs for the Kernels.

Wisconsin (3-10) had chances to get to Cedar Rapids starting pitcher Mat Batts early. Brandon Diaz doubled with one out in the first and Elvis Rubio doubled to start the second. Neither runner scored. Bats would set down twelve Rattlers in a row after the Rubio double.

Rattlers starting pitcher Zach Hirsch allowed one hit through the first three innings, but the Kernels (9-4) got to him in the fourth.

Zack Larson started the fourth with a singled. A grounder to third off the bat of Max Murphy went for a fielder's choice as Sthervin Matos went to second to try and get Larson, who was running on the pitch, on a force play. The throw was late and the Kernels had two on with no outs. Vavra hit the next pitch over the wall in center for a three-run home run.

TJ White doubled to start the sixth inning. A fly ball to right got White to third and a sacrifice fly by Brian Navarreto drove in White for a 4-0 lead.

The Kernels added to their lead in the top of the seventh inning against reliever Gian Rizzo. A double by Zack Granite started the inning. Larson, who went 3-for-4 on the night, drove in Granite with a one out single. Vavra's two-out RBI triple was followed by an RBI single by White and the Kernels were up 7-1.

Wisconsin got on the board after the seventh inning stretch. Rubio singled off Batts with one out. Batts left the game with two outs and Rubio at second base. Kernels reliever Miles Nordgren hit Monte Harrison and gave up an RBI single to Carlos Leal before getting the final out.

Cedar Rapids tacked on three more runs against Rizzo in the top of the eighth. Nick Gordon singled in the first run of the inning. Murphy drove in a run with a fielder's choice. Vavra picked up his final RBI of the game with a single to make it 10-1.

Each batter in the Kernels order had at least one hit as they totaled 14 hits on the night. Wisconsin stranded eight runners and went 1-for-11 with runners in scoring position.

Game two of the series is Wednesday night. Kodi Medeiros (0-0, 0.87), the #1 pick of the Milwaukee Brewers in 2014, is the starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. Cedar Rapids sends Zack Tillery (2-0, 0.00) to the mound. Game time is 6:35pm.

Wednesday night is a WIXX Bang for your Buck Night with soda, hotdogs, and beer available for $1.

If you can't make it out to the ballpark, you can catch the action on television, on the radio, and on the internet.

MyNEW 32's Sports Showdown will televise the game beginning at 6:30pm. The radio broadcast is on AM1280, WNAM starting with the Miller Lite Pregame Show at 6:15pm. The broadcast is also available on TuneIn Radio and MiLB.TV.

HOME RUN:

CR:

Trey Vavra (3rd, 2 on in 4th inning off Zach Hirsch, 0 out)

WP: Mat Batts (2-0)

LP: Zach Hirsch (0-2)

TIME: 2:23

ATTN: 320

Postgame Post – April 21, 2015

Just a pic from the game, no post game comments, but the pre-game interview with Josh Uhen is up.

Wisconsin Boxscore

Well this started as a finesse lefty pitcher's dual and ended up a laugher. Too often here in the early going the Rattlers are going 3+ innings at the plate without doing anything productive making it way too easy on the opposition, which was the case again tonight.

Finally got to see Gian Rizzo though! He's compactly built and Erickson mentioned in the pre-game interview with the TV crew that Gian has been working hard on his mechanics. In his first inning he was around the plate the entire time, the first double was pretty much lucky garbage, but Cedar Rapids hit every mistake pitch he threw hard in both innings after that. He'd groove at least one pitch, and I do mean an absolute cob shot, belt high down the middle, to every batter and they didn't miss many. His FB is straight as an arrow and he didn't seem to be throwing all that hard, if there was a velocity report on his FB I missed it, I had Chris on the radio as well but both feeds were spotty tonight. He threw an average CB, flashing better at times, the TV crew gave the velocity on one of them at just 68 MPH, he also threw a decent change one of which the TV crew reported as 69 MPH. In his 2nd inning he got flustered a bit and the ball started going all over the place.

I mentioned Jake Gatewood's defense earlier but he did foul a ball pretty hard off of his ankle or foot at the end of the game. He stayed in there, but if he's absent over the next couple of days that will be why.

David Denson got the day off with Dustin DeMuth getting some time at 1B. DeMuth has hits in 5 of the last 6 games.

Wisconsin Recap

- Plato

- Plato

Don't quote me but before tonight I think Coulters past 5 games topped Brewers offense (over previous 5) in hits, RBIs, runs and HRS

Btw, he has been unleased and it won't be long before he jumps Taylor for #2. He is our most dangerous/impact young bat. Best part is he walks and hits for solid average.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I like seeing the A+ corner outfield combo of Coulter and Roache. Throw in Arcia, and I just hope the Brewers are patient with them (despite my calls last year and all off-season for Arcia to be our SS by September)

I'm just confused with the plans for these guys, clearly Arcia is SS of future. Leaving Gennett, Segura, Sardinas, Rivera & McFarland to fight over 2B and utility roles. (Unless Segura or 1 of them go to 3b and Brewers give up power for a OBP and defensive guy)

Coulter is a monster now he is healthy, if he got to Biloxi by All-Star week, national scouting sites will really buy in and we will see him popping up in Top 100s. I can see Arcia a top 30 by seasons end.

Don't look now by Tyrone Taylor is starting to hit now to! Mix in Roache hitting like he is upset about being held back! Exciting stuff!

Wisconsin and MWL is so tough on hitters traditionally in April and this team is so young that by time June comes around they will be turning things around and playing closer to their skill set. Look at Coulter to, he struggled bad his first go, now look at him. So if they don't figure it out, they still have bright futures!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Coulter swings lively bat in double dip

Brewers' No. 4 prospect collects five hits, four RBIs for Manatees

By Robert Emrich / MiLB.com

04/22/2015 1:41 AM ET

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/5/3/4/119778534/cuts/Coulter960_lxztp661_um3a6qu1.jpg

Clint Coulter has three homers over his last six Florida State League games. (Brevard County Manatees)

Perhaps more impressive than Clint Coulter's hitting prowess Tuesday were his skills as a prognosticator.

The Brewers' No. 4 prospect went 5-for-8 with a homer and four RBIs as Class A Advanced Brevard County split its doubleheader with Lakeland.

In the Manatees' opening 4-3 loss, Coulter finished a triple short of the cycle. His third-inning homer gave the club an early 1-0 lead and he belted an RBI double in the fifth. The 21-year-old catcher then added two more hits, including another two-bagger, and two RBIs in Brevard County's 8-6 win in the nightcap.

"I got some good pitches to hit and didn't miss them," Coulter said. "It's as simple as that. Sometimes they find holes. Days like this are always good."

Coulter's offensive explosion extended his hitting streak to six games, during which time he is 12-for-23 with three homers and nine RBIs. Overall, the Washington native is batting .356 with eight extra-base hits, including four homers, and 10 RBIs for the Manatees. Coulter credited his coaches for teaching him intricacies about his craft.

"Just working with our hitting coordinator in the offseason, Jeremy Reed, and Ned Yost IV here in Brevard County -- those guys know a lot about hitting," he said. "Every day we're talking about every at-bat. Sometimes it's as simple as I swung at a bad pitch or where I was looking."

But what Coulter told his teammates in the dugout in the final inning of the second game could be the most remarkable aspect of his day. After Victor Roache tied the game in the seventh with a solo homer, Rafael Nada reached on a one-out fielding error by shortstop Jared Reaves, setting the stage for Paul Eshleman and Coulter.

"I actually called it," Coulter said. "I said, 'Hanging pitch, right here, he's gonna take one deep,' and he did. We all just looked at each other like 'you gotta be kidding me.' It was quiet for a second and then we celebrated."

Roache had three hits in the opener and drove in a run while Chris McFarland scored three times during the double dip for the Manatees.

Tigers' top prospect Steven Moya, coming back from a plantar fasciitas injury, homered in the second game for the Flying Tigers.

Game 2: Brevard County 8, Lakeland 6

Brevard County Box Score

Brevard County Game Log

Brevard County Bottom of the 7th

Clint Coulter lines out to second baseman Javier Betancourt.

Victor Roache homers (3) on a fly ball to right center field.

Brandon Macias flies out to right fielder Steven Moya.

Rafael Neda reaches on a fielding error by shortstop Jared Reaves.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch-runner Angel Ortega replaces Rafael Neda.

Paul Eshleman homers (1) on a fly ball to left center field. Angel Ortega scores.

Understandably, neither the Manatees or the Flying Tigers has posted a game story with the double header and a 10:35 start the next day. Coulter and Roache off to a dream start and Omar Garcia finally got his first hit of the season.

Archived