Brewer Fanatic

How many more starts do you give Lohse?

ewitkows

He starts until the end of the regular season or he is traded. He's not really blocking anyone from a rotation spot and the best thing he can do is not get hurt and show some semblance of being a ML pitcher so he can be traded.

This. If the Brewers fall that far out - guys will be traded And you just hope there is a taker

if anyone needs to miss a few starts its Garza just to keep that 2018 option from vesting, LOL

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

He has to have a fairly long leash if you hope to have any chance to deal him in July. Odds are he'll have a decent enough stretch that it'll make trading him possible. If he doesn't then he'll just be released in July and replaced by whoever among Thornburg or the guys are either AAA or AA are throwing the best.

He's pitched like garbage, but who do you replace him with? Is Mike Burns still kicking around somewhere? How about Everett Stull... probably roughly about the same age as Lohse.

I wouldn't completely discount guys currently at AA like Wagner, Brooks Hall, or Hobbs Johnson from debuting at some point this year and lets not forget Hiram Burgos, who's currently at Brevard, but who's got major league experience and could come around. Hey when the wheels come off like they have this year, teams go through a lot of pitchers.

He's pitched like garbage, but who do you replace him with? Is Mike Burns still kicking around somewhere? How about Everett Stull... probably roughly about the same age as Lohse.

I wouldn't completely discount guys currently at AA like Wagner, Brooks Hall, or Hobbs Johnson from debuting at some point this year and lets not forget Hiram Burgos, who's currently at Brevard, but who's got major league experience and could come around. Hey when the wheels come off like they have this year, teams go through a lot of pitchers.

I can't see any way the pitchers you just listed get a shot at a starting gig. Thornburg, Crazy, and Jungman are all waaaay in front on the depth chart.

He Starts the full season. About the only way he loses his job is he begins giving up 8,9,10,13,12 Runs in consecutive starts. Giving up 6Runs is better than the next option of calling up some rookie for what he's being paid.

I will give Pitchers a mulligan on the first start of the season because they're usually not up to 100 pitches in their arm. So given Lohse's last 2 starts. He's still given Milw 6.1 and 6IP while posting the crooked ER line. Like I said, let's get prepared for replacement when he's giving up 8+ And not going 5IP with the starts before looking for the replacement the team doesn't have....Jungmann btw as the first suggested to replace has a what ERA? 3G 12.2 12ER 8.53ERA. He's not starting the year off any better than Lohse.

The hope if Lohse returns to the 3.5ERA self he's been. And creates some trade value. He won't create any trade value being benched. And his Replacement won't be the type you're going to think of trading at all. There's no upside in removing Lohse. There is by keeping him as a Starter.

Honestly, you just pitch Lohse until the season ends. Or until you can trade him. You guys better hope for a no hitter or something so he becomes tradable.

I was all for the Lohse signing. I was wrong. It has not benefitted us.

Next time Boras comes a calling we need to mention... Lohse, Suppan, Gagne. What a waste of money.

I see Yo's ERA at Texas is 3.5 and he is 2-1. His normal high whip. Bad luck teams wanted Yo instead of Lohse. You get the feeling Melvin and Mark are little boys playing with big boys. And are continually taken advantage of.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Let's face it, this season is fast going in the toilet. The only way it is rescued is if a lot of guys suddenly start performing as expected (and better). That includes Lohse. You just need to keep pitching him. And even if the season does get lost, you have to have to start looking to the future. That means dealing assets - including Lohse. If he's regulated to the pen after a handful of starts, he'll never develop any value. You just have to keep sending him out there and hope he figures it out.

Probably just ride him. Even if you give him some time off with a "soreness" DL stint, it's not like trade suitors wouldn't sniff that...still more trade value in the guy that ate innings (badly) than the one who stunk so bad that worst team in baseball sat him.

Enough starts to right the ship and then trade him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I can't see any way the pitchers you just listed get a shot at a starting gig. Thornburg, Crazy, and Jungman are all waaaay in front on the depth chart.

They might be waaaay in front on the depth chart but pitching in Colorado Springs will inflate their ERA's to levels that might not justify promotions. Trust me, on teams that are 30 or so games under .500, it's not uncommon for guys you never expect to make their way to the big leagues Go back just to 2006. At the start of that year, Carlos Villanueva, was waaaaay down the starting pitching depth chart and starting for Huntsville behind guys like Dana Eveland, Zach Jackson, and Ben Hendrickson, who were at AAA and Jorge de la Rosa who was long man. Those guys proved so inept replacing some injured starters, that Villanueva got his shot by June, shut out the Reds for 6 innings and eventually made 6 starts that year. Guys like Jungmann and Cravy are no more highly regarded than the likes of Hendrickson, Eveland and Jackson were back then.

The AA level isn't that far from the big leagues. Jumping from AA to the majors in the same season is quite common and the Brewers have some nice arms at Biloxi.

With starting pitchers, it will only take 3-5 good starts to put him back in the asset category. You start him until that happens.

Who is he blocking that would really matter for the 2015 season?

Agreed it's way too early to write him off as a potential trade asset. He's going to be in the rotation until All Star break regardless, but soon after he'll either be dealt if he's got any value or released. I don't think there's obvious name that he's blocking but lost seasons are great opportunities to audition guys and they have guys working now at both AAA and AA that should be vying for that opportunity: Jungmann, Cravy, Gagnon, Wagner, Hall, Johnson, Burgos (currently at high A). Look for the standouts at AA to eventually push out the AAA journeymen like Ely and Additon or flip flop if the other starters get shelled on a frequent basis.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
With starting pitchers, it will only take 3-5 good starts to put him back in the asset category. You start him until that happens.

Who is he blocking that would really matter for the 2015 season?

Precisely. It's not like he's blocking Cy Young. We have Cravy and Jungmann can use the AAA time. No need to rush them. We're paying Lohse, so may as well use him.

Archived