Brewer Fanatic

Potential Manager options for Milwaukee if Roenicke is let go

reillymcshane
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd much rather see a trade than the firing of RR. That can wait if they want to go that route. Firing him does nothing but pleases the people who feel they know baseball better than a man that has played it and coached it for four decades at the highest level. Let the trading season.... begin!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This season's killing me so far just like every other hard-core Brewers fan, but I'm not convinced it's Roenicke's fault that now the pitchers can't make good pitches when, for most of last year, they did, or that Segura makes errors every other game. It's the starters more than the BP that's the majority of the problem.

I'm not blind. I'm not stupid. Managers inevitably are scrutinized -- it's part of the job -- and none are perfect. But sometimes the quick, emotionally satisfying move is the wrong long-term move to make. The best organizations often realize & favor the value of stability over time and not making knee-jerk decisions. . . . It'd be one thing if these players haven't had long stretches of playing well under Roenicke, but they've actually done just that.

I forget who said it earlier in the thread, but pretty much the vast majority of posters on this board don't miss any chance to criticize the living daylights out of whomever the Brewers' manager is, and then end up on a years-long soapbox that he should be fired. So while firing Roenicke would satisfy the majority of the vultures on this board, it's not automatically the best or right move. Keep in mind that, given the nature of a board like this, firing Roenicke is only going to bring on board the next guy that everyone will be doing the war chants about firing after his first month, anyway.

Up here in MN Wild country, in each of the past two years, the Wild have had an insanely terrible stretch. But both years they've pulled it together by re-finding "their game" and playing the way the coach & his staff have been trying to get them to play all along. In both years, they've made the playoffs, which was no small feat. The one most obvious difference is that the Wild's two putrid stretches were December into January, not as painfully-exposed as season-ending and season-opening stretches. This year, when the zealots and social-media vultures were convinced the only solution possible -- yet again -- was to fire the coach, the owner & GM realized where the issue was and staunchly supported the coach. Thanks in no small part to getting a good goalie, the team started playing the right way, which started the best 2nd half in the entire NHL. . . . .

I'm not saying stability or a single trade alone is the "magic bullet" the Brewers need to cure their woes and overcome their nightmarish start. But the Brewers, like the Wild, have lots of players simply playing tons worse than their long-proven career norms. So sometimes the right decision IS patience. . . . Eventually, if things don't turn around and the season's totally shot, then Melvin & MA have every reason to scrutinize if the team's failure is truly due to Roenicke, either because players quit playing for him, or because it no longer matters the message he gives because they're not hearing him or able to make effective changes in their game under his leadership. If those are the significant issues, then Roenicke deservedly is on very shaky ground. If the team's so loose and undisciplined that they just plain can't play fundamentally soundly (at least reasonably so within the given skill sets of the players on hand) over a long enough period of time, then that's another red flag.

To try to summarize, I think it's quite possible MA is a lot smarter than most people here give him credit for -- not necessarily re: baseball, but for sure in terms of his approach to his "real" career. I think it's pretty doggone safe to assume that he's been so successful in that realm because he's wise enough to know the difference between bad investments vs. solid investments that are simply enduring a rough stretch in the market. Sometimes the wiser thing to do is wait out what you know is just a rough stretch, vs. the scenario of turning over your entire portfolio b/c you know that the core issue is simply bad investments.

So if it's me, I still sit tight for a while because as lousy as they've been so far -- and there's so much that's incredibly discouraging about these 3-4 weeks -- I'm not yet convinced they're truly this bad (like many were convinced that the 71-55 Brewers last year were still a mirage in spite of 150 days in first place). If the Brewers start to "find their game" or show enough legit signs of "regressing much closer to their norms" over the next month, I'll feel some optimism about getting back on track is merited and, if really lucky, maybe there's even a chance they creep up on the edge the wild card race. If the issues stay this bad or get worse by Memorial Day, though, once the 3 DLers of our starting 8 are back and the rotation's had time to right their flaws & messes, then the temp under Roenicke will be justifiably scorching. It was June 1, 1982, after all, when Harry Dalton fired Buck Rodgers.

Archived