Brewer Fanatic

Potential Manager options for Milwaukee if Roenicke is let go

reillymcshane
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pry LaRussa away from the Dbacks for a year or two. Make him an offer he cant turn down

http://38.media.tumblr.com/7b31dd273547dd994315d4fb7675765a/tumblr_mglfqla8RA1qzwh1uo1_500.gif

Yup, this. LaRussa is a jackass.

Not to pile on unduly, but TLR at the helm in Milwaukee is one of very few things that would make me reconsider being a season ticket holder. Longtime readers here will know that is a strong statement coming from me.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Pry LaRussa away from the Dbacks for a year or two. Make him an offer he cant turn down

http://38.media.tumblr.com/7b31dd273547dd994315d4fb7675765a/tumblr_mglfqla8RA1qzwh1uo1_500.gif

Not to pile on unduly, but TLR at the helm in Milwaukee is one of very few things that would make me reconsider being a season ticket holder. Longtime readers here will know that is a strong statement coming from me.

I wouldn't absolutely loath LaRussa as manager as long as he plunks a few Cardinals, especially Molina multiple times.

My top three are: 1.Ted Simmons 2. Andy Haines 3. Torey Lovullo

I really like Andy Haines as he would be someone I would be comfortable with bringing along younger players.

Simmons is a great choice, i just figured that he really has no interest in doing it full time.

My top three are: 1.Ted Simmons 2. Andy Haines 3. Torey Lovullo

I really like Andy Haines as he would be someone I would be comfortable with bringing along younger players.

Simmons is a great choice, i just figured that he really has no interest in doing it full time.

Yeah, Simmons would be interesting. However, for some reason, I also fear a "Forrest Gregg" type vibe with him.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I'd personally like Rod Gardenhire. He has proven success in a small market town, lives in nearby Minny and knows how to be an in game manager. This team right now is a bunch of free swingers which doesn't fit his model well, but by the end of the season, the squad will look much different.

I don't want a non-experienced coach to come in or a former player like Don Mattingly, Paul Molitor, Walt Weiss or Brad Ausmus, they need someone with experience that has the teams attention from the start.

I'm sure Gomez would love to see Gardenhire
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm sure Gomez would love to see Gardenhire

Don't worry. Gomez will be traded soon anyway.

Personally, I'm excited to find out how many very good prospects we can get for Gomez

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I think we need to keep our current manager so we don't end up with Dusty Baker.

He somewhat is the manager version of Kyle Lohse/Aramis Ramirez/Jeff Suppan, isn't he?

Ugh

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

The Brewers need a young (under age 44) manager. Ted Simmons, really? He's 65. Davey Nelson? 70. Gardenhire's "only" 57, and at least has a track record of having teams that played smart baseball.

Don't know much about Andy Haines, but he fits the profile age wise.

Sorry, the Davey Nelson thing was a joke. Thought everyone would have gotten that.

I liked the Jose Oquendo idea. As much as I hate the Cardinals, Brewers need to start instilling their way of play into their system.

The Oquendo idea kind of came to me when I was at the game yesterday. For a 3b coach he seemed very involved, was obviously there during the La Russa years so probably picked up on a few things, wants to manage, knows the division, is fairly young (played in the 90's), and can speak Spanish to deal with some of our Latin guys. Just food for thought.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think we need to keep our current manager so we don't end up with Dusty Baker.

He somewhat is the manager version of Kyle Lohse/Aramis Ramirez/Jeff Suppan, isn't he?

Ugh

No. Suppan/Lohse/Ramirez were all good in the initial years of their contracts. Dusty is just Dusty from Day 1.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If I remember correctly everyone assumed Oquendo would take the job after LaRusa left and then thought he might be offended and leave STL when he didn't get the job.

A friend of mine who's a Cardinal fan said a lot of the decision was about public relations. The club liked both Matheny and Oquendo, but when it came down to handing over the reins of the team, they went with the fresh-faced Christian Midwestern boy instead of the grizzled guy from Puerto Rico who didn't speak English that well. It was also seen as a bit of a way to break from the LaRussa regime.

I really don't know that much about Oquendo, but as it's been pointed out, a lot of people thought he'd take over for LaRussa when he left.

There's a really funny thing about Oquendo out there from the Sklar brothers if you haven't seen it. Can probably just Youtube "The Utilityman" and find it easily. Basically they make a long argument saying he's better than a bunch of hall of famers due to selectively choosing stats.

The Sklar Brothers and the "Utility Man"[edit]

Main article: Cheap Seats

In 2004, a comical one hour special aired on ESPN and was produced by MLB Productions about José Oquendo. It featured Randy and Jason Sklar of Cheap Seats going on a trip all the way to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown on a campaign to get José "The Utilityman" Oquendo inducted for his versatility to play any position on the baseball field. The special included the Sklars receiving Oquendo's blessing to lobby for his spot in Cooperstown, collecting signatures for the petition, and giving a lackluster presentation to the Hall of Fame's committee. After initially denying their claim, the committee agreed to place his plaque in a spot that fits his utility specialty- the utility closet.

Archived