Potential Manager options for Milwaukee if Roenicke is let go

reillymcshane

Some candidates the Brewers may want to consider:

Craig Counsell

Matt Erickson

Gabe Kapler

Dave Roberts

David Bell

Brad Fischer (not that seriously though)

Jay Bell

Dave Martinez

Mark Kotsay (current Padres coach)

Eric Young (current Rockies coach)

John Mabry

Henry Blanco (current Cubs coach)

Jerry Hairston (current White Sox coach)

Joey Cora

Bobby Valentine

Ozzie Guillen

Willie Randolph

Bob Brenly

Cecil Cooper

Phil Nevin

Tim Bogar

Torey Lovullo

Bo Porter

Ron Wotus

Dave Clark

Joe McEwing

Turner Ward

Andy Green

Sandy Alomar, Jr.

Doug Mientkiewicz

Joe Crawford

Steve Scarsone

Charlie Greene

Ray Montgomery

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see a good interim manager on this roster; i would wait until May 1st to see if they can turn this around, if not i'd replace RR with Counsell on an interim basis. I must admit that the candidates mentioned so far do not do much for me

I would hire Gardenhire in a second, but I don't see him coming here.

Community Moderator
I disagree that it is futile, and what exactly is the alternative? Running the same tired old guy out there night after night to make the same questionable decisions? A guy who has proven over the last 100 games or so that he can't get it done with these players.

Unless we are talking a player-manager, no, the manager doesn't make much of a difference. There are only a couple great, difference-making managers in MLB, but part of what makes them great is that their philosophy aligns with management. Firing Melvin is the only decision that would be of any consequence.

I disagree that it is futile, and what exactly is the alternative? Running the same tired old guy out there night after night to make the same questionable decisions? A guy who has proven over the last 100 games or so that he can't get it done with these players.

Unless we are talking a player-manager, no, the manager doesn't make much of a difference. There are only a couple great, difference-making managers in MLB, but part of what makes them great is that their philosophy aligns with management. Firing Melvin is the only decision that would be of any consequence.

I agree that firing the GM has the largest impact. I would say can the roving hitting instructor in the minors but we already did that last year and have a new one in Jeremy Reed. (Probably a side thread but how did he even get that job? Seems very odd for a career under achiever) But anyhow. I will say some managers just have a six sense for pulling the right strings. We have not had a manager who has it. But there are some who always seem to make the right decision. Call it luck or whatever, but a manager has an impact too

I agree with owbc- the manager is generally futile. We'll love him because he's different, then hate him because he's the same as everyone else.

Davey Lopes is the worst. Other than Royster. No one can be as bad as Royster. But Yost makes the most mistakes of any manager I've ever seen... except Macha. No manager can be worse than Macha. Except Roenecke. No one can be as bad as Roenecke. Except the next guy. Rinse, repeat.

For the record, though, I'd fire Roenecke at the end of the year after tearing down the roster in July. But if the next guy wins, it'll be because the roster's better, not because he's a better strategist. Because he won't be, in all likelihood.

Looking at the list of managers who have won the World Series since 1995:

Cox, Bobby

Torre, Joe

Leyland, Jim

Torre, Joe

Torre, Joe

Torre, Joe

Brenly, Bob

Scioscia, Mike

McKeon, Jack

Francona, Terry

Guillén, Ozzie

La Russa, Tony

Francona, Terry

Manuel, Charlie

Girardi, Joe

Bochy, Bruce

La Russa, Tony

Bochy, Bruce

Farrell, John

Bochy, Bruce

That isn't a list of the Ned Yost's / Ron Roenicke's of the world

Several of those managers are average to mediocre. Guillen? Scioscia? Brenly? Manuel? Bochy's alright, I guess, but he's pretty much gotten amazing pitching and a couple hitters who got hot to go on sick playoff runs.

Players win championships.

Several of those managers are average to mediocre. Guillen? Scioscia? Brenly? Manuel? Bochy's alright, I guess, but he's pretty much gotten amazing pitching and a couple hitters who got hot to go on sick playoff runs.

Players win championships.

Ok, then explain to me how a team that was the best team in baseball last summer has gone an astounding 34-60 since then with basically the same roster. Regression to the mean doesn't fully explain it. The standard deviation shouldn't be enough for a team to go from the best team to the worst team.

I don't even really think this is mostly Roenicke's fault either, but I would like to see to see a sense of the accountability that Mark described last September. If Ron has to be the sacrificial lamb, so be it. They can't turn over the entire roster in April, and if they want to sell tickets this year they need to do something to show they aren't going to just accept what's going on without action. It's not like Roenicke is going to be missed.

I'm tired of old people being our manager. Give me Counsell or Erickson or Gabe Kapler or anybody who played baseball in the 2000s. If RR is let go, Mr. Narron will (and should) be the interim for the rest of the season.

Manager is a much smaller problem than the need for a better roster and generally i wouldn't be a big fan of hiring an ex-player with no experience managing, but if anyone could off the top of my head, i do think Counsell would have a chance.

He not only was a very smart player, whenever i've heard him speak about the game, he sounds like a guy who would be open to a wide variety of ideas for best use of a roster. Sometimes you get baseball players like Counsell who got the absolute most out of their abilities and you hear them talk about the game, they will sound more like Bill Schroeder instead of Counsell.

Community Moderator
I don't even really think this is mostly Roenicke's fault either, but I would like to see to see a sense of the accountability that Mark described last September. If Ron has to be the sacrificial lamb, so be it. They can't turn over the entire roster in April, and if they want to sell tickets this year they need to do something to show they aren't going to just accept what's going on without action. It's not like Roenicke is going to be missed.

What's the point of accountability if the person taking the blame isn't the one who needs to be held accountable?

Melvin is the one who is more responsible for the state of this team than anyone else...unless Attanasio is the one making the decisions which is certainly possible.

Making a move to sell tickets this year sounds like another shortsighted decision that got us into this mess in the first place. I can't picture myself getting excited about another press conference where Melvin introduces yet another manager, makes the same cliche comments about the future, etc, etc.

I would guess Narron finishes out the season if Ron is let go mid-season. If he would have been moved up to AA or AAA by now I think Matt Erickson would have a pretty good shot at it. He seems to be an organization favorite. How about Dave Martinez? He's been quite the bridemaid the last few years. Does he even have a job right now, I thought he left TB after he was passed over.

Narron is kind of joined at the hip to Roenicke. If Roenicke is fired, I think and hope Narron goes with him. Don't be surprised if Sedar gets the interim job. Sedar is sort of the "house" coach in the way Harvey Kuenn was back in the day, Sedar is a holdover from way back in Yost's days and isn't that closely tied to Roenicke and yes he has managed for both Ogden and Helena in Brewer organization. Kuenn predated both Buck Rodgers and Bamberger as a Brewer coach. I think Sedar has paid his dues and would be a very popular pick in the clubhouse. Sveum would be a likely candidate for permanent job, but if Melvin goes, anything can happen.

We should find some Dominican Republic coach. He can open the lines for a bunch of those guys to join the Brewers!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

What's the point of accountability if the person taking the blame isn't the one who needs to be held accountable?

Melvin is the one who is more responsible for the state of this team than anyone else...unless Attanasio is the one making the decisions which is certainly possible.

Making a move to sell tickets this year sounds like another shortsighted decision that got us into this mess in the first place. I can't picture myself getting excited about another press conference where Melvin introduces yet another manager, makes the same cliche comments about the future, etc, etc.

I agree that Melvin needs to go, but he needs to take Roenicke with him. They need a completely fresh start and don't need to be taking big pieces of the previous regime with them. That's just distracting.

They can fire Roenicke now and still keep Melvin as a lame duck GM for a few months much like the Cubs did with Jim Hendry in 2011. He didn't get officially fired until after the draft and the trading deadline came and went but he knew it was coming and still did his job. Attanasio should just go to Melvin and ask him to shepherd the franchise through the draft and trading deadline. I think he can trust Melvin to do what's right for the long term. Melvin should know he's not going to be the one to pick the permanent successor to Roenicke.

Counsell would be a fine choice as next GM. I would hope Attanasio goes that direction rather than recycle an older experience type like a Hendry for instance.

Bobby Knight or Mike Ditka

I think they're both losing their marbles a bit, but perhaps we could get Geno Auriemma.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived