Brewer Fanatic

2015 Regular Season Negativism Thread (See mod note in first post!)

pacopete4
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year's great collapse is still very much a factor. Eventually they'll emerge from the darkness. The most famous collapse of all time was the 1964 Phillies. That Phillies team was 89-58 as late as Sept 17th that year. With essentially the same team the following season, plus the addition of a young Johnny Briggs I might add, they were 5 games under .500 at the end of May. Keep in mind that was a league with 2 very poor teams still growing from expansion so it was hard to be under .500.

Closer to home, Packer fans remember the infamous gut wrenching playoff loss to the Eagles in the playoffs following the 2003 season. That team started the next year 1-4.

Remember how ticked Mark A was after last season?

Yeah, I'd like to be a fly on the wall for a conversation between him and Melvin/Roenicke/etc. right now.

He may have been ticked, angry, disappointed, whatever, but he did nothing to improve the situation. Making idle threats to discover the people responsible for the suckiness that occurred at the end of the season, and to get rid of them was a joke and an empty threat.

RRR still has a job.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The brewers need to move some tradable assets to add to the Farm and also if out if the race look to move players for prospects. We have some change being removed for the 2016 season.

I would be all for this and would love it if they could somehow get some kind of return for Braun. Even if he returns to his old form, it's like a hood ornament on a Pinto. I know that there are a lot of Braun defenders on this board, but to me it just seems like he has lost his enthusiasm for the game. There are some players who relish being booed and hated. They thrive on that. I don't think Braun is one of those players. I think he was much happier and played much looser when he was an "up and coming" and well-liked MLB star. That seems like an obvious statement, but I think all the negativity that follows him, especially on the road, bothers him much more than he lets on. When I watch him now, it seems like he's just going through the motions. I definitely don't see him as being an effective leader on the team.

Unfortunately, not sure what kind of return we could get for him at this point without having to pay a decent portion of his contract.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The problem with this team is that they are really bad at the things they can control (read: fundamentals). The baserunning is atrocious. For all the talk about holding the players accountable, why do we constantly see the same mistakes?

The problem with this team is that they are really bad at the things they can control (read: fundamentals). The baserunning is atrocious. For all the talk about holding the players accountable, why do we constantly see the same mistakes?

This is what drives me crazy. I can understand how hitters go into slumps or your pitcher can't find the plate at times but when supposedly professional baseball players screw up doing things little leaguers are taught not to do over and over again something just isn't right in that clubhouse and its been an issue for a while now.

As long as Lucroy and Gomez are out they are below average offensively, defensively, pitching, base running, everything
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

I am concerned that Doug put together this team with 'no holes in it' (his words). I am concerned that our manager was 'really happy' with the roster. I am concerned that the two guys who mainly put together the roster cannot evaluate talent. I am concerned that the main owner thinks he is Billy Beane or something and runs a parallel operation to the GM.

I dont see how we have any hope for coming out of this death spiral with any of the three in charge of anything.

Currently, the three of them are throwing the players under the bus game by game. 'it is the players who are playing' or words to that effect game after game.

We had our brief rise when we got lucky with drafting a few batting studs (with really high picks). So, with the current trio we have in charge, our only hope is this: suck for a year or two more, then all the big contracts go away; the players left are poor so do not get big contracts; so we will stay really poor for, say, three or four years. Which means for three or four years we draft high. IF IF IF we are lucky, we draft a few studs, who, in another three years hit The Show. Then they have a couple years of seasoning, and we have our window.

That window is in 4 years of sucking + 3 years of new players in the minors + 2 years major seasoning = 2015 + 9 years = 2024.

The only thing that can speed it is the quality of trading current players. But will we do Sexson or Gallardo trades. The fact that we seem to have obtained 12 years of MLB talent for 1 year of Gallardo is quite OK.

Also, a couple of other points. I thought the AAA squad would win games with all the 'could play in Milwaukee now guys'. What they are doing shows you how easy it must be to play for Milwaukee right now.

When you consider Lind is clearly our best batting talent it makes you cry. A throw away, platoon guy, for the American league become our number one bat. That is how bad our talent is. Throw aways from other teams are better than all else on our roster.

There is another possiblity intertwined in all this: teams do reflect their manager a lot; so either our roster is crap or our manager is crap (and good players are playing crap under his watch); heck, maybe it is 50-50

As I post this, the Brewers are currently 3-14:

- This is the worst start in franchise history by 2 full games. The 1970, 1972, and 2002 teams started 5-12.

- At minus-48, these Brewers have the worst run differential through 17 games in franchise history by a mile. Previous worst was minus-33 in 2003. No Brewers team with a run differential of minus-20 or worse at this point has finished with more than 69 wins.

- The 46 runs scored by the Brewers is the 3rd least through 17 games in franchise history. The 1972 Brewers were worst, with only 30 runs scored in 17 games (yikes!), which was the 4th fewest through 17 games in the modern era. That team started 5-12.

- The 94 runs allowed is the 4th most through 17 games in franchise history (Most was 104 in 2003). None of the 3 worse teams finished with more than 69 wins.

- This is the worst start for a National League team in 18 years (1997 Cubs started 2-15).

- Only 6 National League teams in the modern era (since 1900) have had a worse start than this year's Brewers.

- Just 14 teams total in the modern era have started worse, including the 1988 Orioles who started 0-21. Most recently, the 2010 Orioles started 2-15.

- Only 1 team in MLB history has finished above .500 after starting 3-14 or worse - the 1996 Red Sox started 3-14 and finished 85-77.

- No team that has started 3-14 or worse has ever made the postseason. However, 101 years ago, the 1914 Boston Braves that started 3-13-1 finished 94-59-5 and won the World Series. They are the only team in history to have less than 5 wins through 17 games and make the postseason...

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/a-chance.gif

I am not Shea Vucinich

I just need to vent a little, if this even counts as venting, but anyway...

I watched the Bucks beat the Bulls tonight, 92-90, it was a fantastic game and it hit me like a slap in the face how little hope I have for the Brewers. If you saw the Bucks game, the coach pulled a couple absolute genius moves at the end, was constantly firing up the players and in the frantic few seconds at the end, he was totally in control. I look at Roenicke and I KNOW he will never, ever be capable of that, it just isn't him. The Bucks have a roster full of really good young talent, a great coach and some owners who seem to know what they're doing, the Brewers have none of that and it just makes me sad. I was born and raised in Milwaukee, lived there for 35 years and have been to hundreds of baseball games and I have never felt this level of hopelessness about the franchise. :(

I just need to vent a little, if this even counts as venting, but anyway...

I watched the Bucks beat the Bulls tonight, 92-90, it was a fantastic game and it hit me like a slap in the face how little hope I have for the Brewers. If you saw the Bucks game, the coach pulled a couple absolute genius moves at the end, was constantly firing up the players and in the frantic few seconds at the end, he was totally in control. I look at Roenicke and I KNOW he will never, ever be capable of that, it just isn't him. The Bucks have a roster full of really good young talent, a great coach and some owners who seem to know what they're doing, the Brewers have none of that and it just makes me sad. I was born and raised in Milwaukee, lived there for 35 years and have been to hundreds of baseball games and I have never felt this level of hopelessness about the franchise. :(

Know exactly how you feel. The Bucks' season is over for all intents and purposes, yet it was still really exciting to win a playoff game when you feel it sets the foundation to advance further in the future. The re-emergence of the franchise is going great - exciting young team, energetic and capable young coach, new ownership, new branding, working to a new arena. The Brewers just have none of the buzz going on - can't when your winning percentage is half that of the next worse team in the league and there isn't even young talent to watch develop. Just really need something to look forward to.

The current Brewers model is not working and the management thinking needs to change they must move vets for young prospects to fill some gaps. they look to have some young studs in the system like Arcia and Couliter. But we still need more to the Pipeline.

folly412: "and there isn't even young talent to watch develop"

This is my anger. I assume Davis and Scooter will be averagish, low ceiling guys. Useful and if they can have great character - very valuable. Nelson we love because 'maybe' he will be really good. He is worth watching. Maybe Peralta.... but we end up with so few young, high ceiling hopefuls, that overall is little hope.

Can you get behind ARAM or Lohse or Broxy or KRod for the future. Even Gomez and Lind and Lucroy and Maldy 'expire' in two years - so they only exist for us to get a prospect. Seggy, I think three years.

I am not going to lay out what our management should do, IMO. Because they have already said what they are going to do... they are going to do nothing. They have clearly said 'this is our team, now it is up to the players'. So get used to seeing THESE players. And get used to going to the minor league forum and the link report.

I am going to throw my 2 cents in...never liked the Garza signing...I also didn't like the fact that they had Broxton and then they felt like they needed krod...my issue is they will rarely have a lead in the 7th, 8th or 9th inning so why pay for a closer when you need more bats. They went out and got Lind, but nothing else. Ramirez should've retired this year. I'm out!

At this rate, this just feels like an all-time record breaking losing season. I think 36 wins is the record for fewest wins in the modern age, and we are on pace for 27 wins. Funny thing is, the Brewers have played more home games than anyone at this point. So far things should have been cake. The road stretch in May should be more difficult.

• 1 month later...
I am amazed this thread was in dormant from 26 April to 29 May. It is saying something when the season is so far gone that people cannot even be positive enough to post in the negative thread.

I am amazed this thread was in dormant from 26 April to 29 May. It is saying something when the season is so far gone that people cannot even be positive enough to post in the negative thread.

I think that there is a significant element of the fan-base that has already checked out, including people who are diehard enough to be posting regularly on a Brewers fan site. I am definitely not checked out, partially because I love the team and probably mostly because I love the game, but there is also something to be said for watching how this drama unfolds. This team, if it keep to its current pace, could be epic in its ineptitude. The Brewers PR machine will have a very, very difficult time explaining this as they have tried to do in seasons recently passed (injuries, snake-bitten, Scooter really can hit lefties numbers be damned, etc.) and I am sort of looking forward to the consequences of a season this bad. Hopefully something clicks and we can have decent baseball here again sometime in the next few seasons.

Archived