Brewer Fanatic

Boo the Brewers!

JJHardy7
I don't think I've ever boo'd anyone at any event. Always seems silly to me. I'm pretty quite while watching sports. Don't cheer much either.

I'd argue that the leagues and owners much prefer the boo-ers and cheer-ers. Any reaction - good or bad - is better than no reaction in creating interest.

Back to the topic at hand, I will mostly agree with your statement about boo-ing, but there are exceptions. Someone like Gary Sheffield, who deliberately plays poorly in an attempt to get traded, certainly deserves to get booed. I can certainly understand booing Braun for lying about taking PEDs. In general, I think it's ok to boo effort (and a lack of it), but not necessarily results.

I remember Carlos Lee getting some boos when he came back to MP after signing that huge deal with the Astros. Never quite understood booing a guy for signing a contract worth about 50 million more than we offered him before the trade but I guess that's why they're called fans (short for fanatics) as opposed to rashes (short for rationals).

I don't think I've ever boo'd anyone at any event. Always seems silly to me. I'm pretty quite while watching sports. Don't cheer much either.

I'd argue that the leagues and owners much prefer the boo-ers and cheer-ers. Any reaction - good or bad - is better than no reaction in creating interest.

Back to the topic at hand, I will mostly agree with your statement about boo-ing, but there are exceptions. Someone like Gary Sheffield, who deliberately plays poorly in an attempt to get traded, certainly deserves to get booed. I can certainly understand booing Braun for lying about taking PEDs. In general, I think it's ok to boo effort (and a lack of it), but not necessarily results.

I'm more so quiet because I enjoy just watching the game. I like to think about what I'm watching. Baseball is relaxing for me for the most part.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

:indifferent

The only Brewer I ever booed was Fatty Helms. I don't think you should boo and my kids won't either.

Wes Helms has to be one of my least favorite Brewers of all time. I just hated watching him play.

For the life of me I still can't understand why Wes Helms was somehow higher than any other Brewer in deserving to get booed. For one thing he wasn't THAT bad. He never had a year here with an OBP under .330; yeah he was a butcher at 3rd, but it's not like he wasn't trying. He only made about $5M here total in 3 years, it's not like he robbed the franchise blind. We've had worse players and worse contracts come through Milwaukee.

By all accounts of the coaches he worked with in Milwaukee, he did try hard. He never once badmouthed the franchise or said anything bad about the fans. He helped us into the playoffs on the last day of the season in 2008. Someone please explain to me why Wes Helms deserved so much to be booed but a guy who literally cheated the franchise out of $110 million dollars apparently does not.

I've heard countless people say they hated Helms and booed him; not one has ever been able to give a legitimate reason as to why. If it's simply that he showed up to camp out of shape, he certainly wasn't the first or last. He did give effort on the field. Yost even said he had to lock him out of batting cages because he was trying TOO hard.

Most folks here seem to be reasonable when it comes to booing, putting a human perspective on things and realizing these guys are people and out there doing their best, and for most of us, that's good enough not to boo a guy. Yet when it comes to Helms, the gloves come off and none of that matters anymore. It's very weird to me.

I boo Bud Selig's statue every time I pass it, on the way in & out of Miller Park.

I find this statement really ironic. You do understand that without Selig their is no Miller Park (or Milwaukee Brewers), right?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

the hypocracy of booing Braun yet CHEERING Marlon Byrd (a few years ago), Bastardo and Cirvelli is SO ANNOYING.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I'd rather have people yelling funny comments at players than booing. At least those I can usually laugh at. Heckle em!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

jim adduci

felipe alou

joe azcue

tom brunansky

jim bruske

bobby chouinard

lou collier

bob coluccio

mike coolbaugh

cecil cooper

mike crudale

enrique cruz

luis cruz

nelson cruz

will cunnane

frankie de la cruz

zach duke

irving falu

julio franco

greg goosen

jeff huson

dave huppert

cesar izturis

jeff juden

braden looper

jonathan lucroy

julio machado

bob mcclure

james mouton

lyle mouton

willie mueller

tony muser

nick neugebauer

marc newfield

ray newman

edwin nunez

john o'donoghue

wes obermueller

ruben quevedo

phil roof

julio santana

bob skube

joe slusarski

mac suzuki

pete vuckovich

john vukovich

rob wooten

the hypocracy of booing Braun yet CHEERING Marlon Byrd (a few years ago), Bastardo and Cirvelli is SO ANNOYING.

As an opposing fan this is true (although Braun's actions went beyond just PED use). As a fan of the Brewers, Bastardo, Cirvelli, and Byrd haven't cheated $105M from my organization so I'm less inclined to be mad at them.

Ben Hendrickson, May 20th, 2006, vs the Twins. 0 outs recorded in the first inning. It got ugly.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260520108

I was at that game. We were tailgating outside, we started packing up and thought we'd get in there in the top of the 2nd, we got in and it was 6-0 with 0 outs. Our seats were first level behind the Twins dugout and we still contemplated leaving. Instead we just drank heavily the rest of the game.

I was gonna say Carlos Lee, I also remember Brady Clark getting booed on Opening Day against the Dodgers in 2007.

Carlos Lee getting booed bothered me a lot.

I booed Sheffield every chance I got, but I never booed former players just to boo them. Milwaukee fans can be pretty intolerant and stupid at times.

I think it's almost become a tradition in Milwaukee to boo former players when they return for the first time. I think some of it is more ribbing than malicious. I'm pretty sure Lyle Overbay got booed in his first game back at Miller Park, and I doubt anyone was really mad at him for getting traded.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

:indifferent
The only Brewer I ever booed was Fatty Helms. I don't think you should boo and my kids won't either.

Wes Helms has to be one of my least favorite Brewers of all time. I just hated watching him play.

For the life of me I still can't understand why Wes Helms was somehow higher than any other Brewer in deserving to get booed. For one thing he wasn't THAT bad. He never had a year here with an OBP under .330; yeah he was a butcher at 3rd' date=' but it's not like he wasn't trying. He only made about $5M here total in 3 years, it's not like he robbed the franchise blind. We've had worse players and worse contracts come through Milwaukee.

By all accounts of the coaches he worked with in Milwaukee, he did try hard. He never once badmouthed the franchise or said anything bad about the fans. He helped us into the playoffs on the last day of the season in 2008. Someone please explain to me why Wes Helms deserved so much to be booed but a guy who literally cheated the franchise out of $110 million dollars apparently does not.

I've heard countless people say they hated Helms and booed him; not one has ever been able to give a legitimate reason as to why. If it's simply that he showed up to camp out of shape, he certainly wasn't the first or last. He did give effort on the field. Yost even said he had to lock him out of batting cages because he was trying TOO hard.

Most folks here seem to be reasonable when it comes to booing, putting a human perspective on things and realizing these guys are people and out there doing their best, and for most of us, that's good enough not to boo a guy. Yet when it comes to Helms, the gloves come off and none of that matters anymore. It's very weird to me.[/quote']

For me it was the perception that Helms was one of Yost's good ol' boys that would get playing time regardless of how much he was struggling. So it was maybe 25% booing his performance and 75% the fact that he was out there to begin with.

But in either case, hard to get excited about a guy whose most exceptional skill was hitting sacrifice flies.

Archived