Brewer Fanatic

2015-04-17 Brewers (Nelson) at Pirates (Worley) 6:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 6-3]

TooLiveBrew

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][game-info][h1]April 17 | 6:05 P.M.[/h1][h2]Brewers (2-7) | Pirates (3-6)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/pirates.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/U3fk3mo.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/dA8Q94h.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Jimmy Nelson[/pitcher][h2]1-0, 0.00 ERA, 0.57 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Pirates | Game Log[/h3][h3]This will be a rematch from Saturday in Milwaukee, where Nelson debuted his new curveball and set a career high with nine strikeouts. The trick will be adjusting now that the Pirates have had a look.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Vance Worley[/pitcher][h2]0-1, 8.53 ERA, 1.42 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Worley struggled in his season debut Saturday, giving up six runs on seven hits and two walks while striking out four in 6 1/3 innings. Worley will get a rematch with the Brewers, looking to get on track and recapture his 2014 form.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. SS Jean Segura
  2. C Jonathan Lucroy
  3. RF Ryan Braun
  4. 1B Adam Lind
  5. 3B Aramis Ramírez
  6. LF Khris Davis
  7. CF Gerardo Parra
  8. 2B Scooter Gennett
  9. RHP Jimmy Nelson

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. 3B Josh Harrison
  2. C Francisco Cervelli
  3. RF Gregory Polanco
  4. CF Andrew McCutchen
  5. 1B Pedro Álvarez
  6. LF Starling Marte
  7. SS Jordy Mercer
  8. 2B Sean Rodriguez
  9. RHP Vance Worley

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pirates ready for a 2nd crack at Brewers' Nelson

By Adam Berry / MLB.com | 4/16/2015 7:15 PM ET

After meeting last weekend at Miller Park, the Pirates and Brewers will reconvene for a three-game series beginning Friday night at PNC Park. Brewers starter Jimmy Nelson will look to repeat his dominant 2015 debut, while Pirates lefty Jeff Locke is seeking his second win after beating Milwaukee on Friday.

Things to know about this game

• Carlos Gomez won't play in this game or any other game for some time. Just as the Brewers departed Busch Stadium on Thursday, word came that the center fielder would be placed on the disabled list with a right-hamstring injury. A corresponding roster move is expected before Friday's series opener at PNC Park. Gerardo Parra and Logan Schafer will fill in in center field for Gomez, who will be evaluated next week to determine how much time he'll miss.

• Nelson silenced the Pirates' bats Saturday thanks in large part to his new curveball, allowing two ground-ball singles and setting a career high with nine strikeouts over seven innings. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle remarked that Nelson was not the same pitcher they'd seen on tape. So how do the Bucs prepare for Nelson this time around?

"I don't know of any way to prep other than to prep for the best guy you've ever seen, to count on him having his 'A' game," Hurdle said. "I think our guys, they're definitely looking forward to the challenge of seeing him again."

• The Brewers could say the same about Locke, who permitted two runs over six innings on Friday. Locke will be pitching on a full week of rest; he owns a career 4.50 ERA in 13 starts following six or more days. His presence on the mound could mean a day off for Milwaukee second baseman Scooter Gennett, who had a terrible night against Locke at Miller Park.

• Pirates catcher Francisco Cervelli saw his 19-game on-base streak, the longest active mark in the Majors, come to an end Wednesday.

wonder if Hector Gomez gets the start at 2B vs LHP, or if they stick with Scoots like they said they would.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

This is where it all starts or ends for the Brewers this year. Get swept and continue looking terrible and the downward spiral could increase pace. Starting the season 2-10 and looking anemic could lead to early regime change moves as Mark A's impatience increases

Or, they could start to put together some solid at-bats and play well. Even if they only win 1 game this series, but play well, it could be a building block.....

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

wonder if Hector Gomez gets the start at 2B vs LHP, or if they stick with Scoots like they said they would.

Lind and Gennett will end up playing and Roenicke be wondering why the offense was so bad in his post game interview.

If we get swept, and play like we have up to this point, I don't know how RRR can keep his job. Couple the start of this season with last year's collapse, he should already be a dead man walking...
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If we get swept, and play like we have up to this point, I don't know how RRR can keep his job. Couple the start of this season with last year's collapse, he should already be a dead man walking...

Just wondering, but do you honestly think a new manager is what is causing this teams offensive woes? I hear a lot of complaining about RR but can never really get to that thinking that just some new manager will all of a sudden get Lucroy to hit or Braun back to his all star abilities. It just doesn't make sense to me. Managers mean very little in baseball when it comes to the talent playing up to their abilities.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Lind and Gennett will end up playing and Roenicke be wondering why the offense was so bad in his post game interview.

Hey -- Lind has a 1.667 OPS in his career against Locke!

Nevermind that it's in 3 total ABs...

Seeing we have no 3B prospect just noticed Joey Gallo went the pick after the Brewers picked Haniger. whoops nice job player developement team.

Nitpick here, but the player development personnel are different from the scouting department (which oversees drafting)

I still can't believe he didn't get canned after last season's collapse...

Just wondering, but do you honestly think a new manager is what is causing this teams offensive woes? I hear a lot of complaining about RR but can never really get to that thinking that just some new manager will all of a sudden get Lucroy to hit or Braun back to his all star abilities. It just doesn't make sense to me. Managers mean very little in baseball when it comes to the talent playing up to their abilities.

Someone has to be accountable, and if our manager doesn't make the players accountable, well, you can figure it out...

I'm not blaming RRR for Lucroy and Brauns struggles, but I am blaming him for being a horrible game manager and decision maker.

I think the players view RRR's tactics and management as stale. We don't win with him, the players seem to have ho-hum attitudes, which is a direct reflection on management. I don't understand when people say that managers have no impact on games outcomes or performance of the players. If that is true, then why have a MGR at all, why not let the players set the line-ups and make the game time decisions?

RRR is a terrible manager, and it is time for a change. The fact he is still here after last year's debacle is amazing to me...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Seeing we have no 3B prospect just noticed Joey Gallo went the pick after the Brewers picked Haniger. whoops nice job player developement team.

Nitpick here, but the player development personnel are different from the scouting department (which oversees drafting)

Both are a total joke so I would say close enough.

Both are a total joke so I would say close enough.

Well at least get the right group that you want to blame!

Someone has to be accountable, and if our manager doesn't make the players accountable, well, you can figure it out...

I'm not blaming RRR for Lucroy and Brauns struggles, but I am blaming him for being a horrible game manager and decision maker.

I think the players view RRR's tactics and management as stale. We don't win with him, the players seem to have ho-hum attitudes, which is a direct reflection on management. I don't understand when people say that managers have no impact on games outcomes or performance of the players. If that is true, then why have a MGR at all, why not let the players set the line-ups and make the game time decisions?

RRR is a terrible manager, and it is time for a change. The fact he is still here after last year's debacle is amazing to me...

First season as the Brewers manager was a resounding success as the Brewers finished the season 96–66, the most wins in franchise history, and also won the National League Central Division title, the first divisional title for the team in 29 years.

It's fine if you think it might be time for a change but going by "we don't win with him" and "RRR is a terrible manager" is quite ridiculous. It was proven in this year that if he is given quality players, HE WILL WIN. He's been far better than most managers this franchise has ever had and he should be given more than 10 games into this season to get this club going in the right direction.

Seems

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It's fine if you think it might be time for a change but going by "we don't win with him" and "RRR is a terrible manager" is quite ridiculous. It was proven in this year that if he is given quality players, HE WILL WIN. He's been far better than most managers this franchise has ever had and he should be given more than 10 games into this season to get this club going in the right direction.

I have said and will continue to say that the problem is mostly Doug Melvin. The free swinging Brewers are not a winning model of a team. Melvin hasn't been all bad but I sincerely think the game has passed him by.

I think there has been signs that the Brewers recognize they need to take different approaches (trading for Lind, trading Gallardo for prospects, attempting to rebuild the farm system, drafting "high upside" guys) and so perhaps the future isn't as bleak as this year.

I don't think there is a manager alive today who can come in and take this amount of talent that the Brewers have and make them a playoff team.

The Brewers might well fire Roenicke, but it would likely be more due to fan outcry and fear of dimished ticket sales. Which is a legit concern

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Brewers

SS Jean Segura

C Jonathan Lucroy

RF Ryan Braun

1B Adam Lind

3B Aramis Ramirez

LF Khris Davis

CF Gerardo Parra

2B Scooter Gennett

P Jimmy Nelson

Pirates

3B Josh Harrison

C Francisco Cervelli

RF Gregory Polanco

CF Andrew McCutchen

1B Pedro Alvarez

LF Starling Marte

SS Jordy Mercer

2B Sean Rodriguez

P Vance Worley

im okay with Worley instead of Locke tonight

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

also... interesting seeing McCutch batting cleanup

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Archived