Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Leal

If he continues, and of course he could crash, at what point in the season do they move him up? He's already 23 years old (I think). He's no spring chicken in terms of prospect years.

He'll be in BC around the break, and if he hits there he'll start next season in AA. It's not like Milwaukee has an immediate need at catcher.

He needs some defensive refinement yet in the when it comes to the minutia, framing and such, he's good for an A ball catcher but he's not above average by MLB standards at this time.

He's one of those guys who the more you watch the more you like, I'm just thrilled to have a catcher in WI who can regularly block balls.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

There's no way Carlos will finish this season in Appleton if he continues to play well, he's got the brass talking - and why wouldn't he?

I doubt they're in a huge rush to promote him, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't head to Brevard for the second half of the season.

Soon, when I search Carlos Leal on the internet, the Swiss rapper and actor won't appear first I hope.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1332454/

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/marvelcinematicuniverse/images/d/df/Carlos_Leal.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130913080304

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Leal is a futures game contender now.....

If only Clint Coulter didn't exist.

Pretty sure someone who doesn't make our top 20-30 prospects isn't going to magically get a ticket to the futures game. Nothing against him but you need some kind of track record to get into the futures game. Also I couldn't find his BAbip, but judging by the fact he strikes out in 22% of his at-bats it is probably incredibly high. So a large regression is probably coming. Even then he might still be able to have a .300 batting average...not too shabby for a guy picked in the 34th round to be a pitcher. Can't remember the last guy I saw who switched positions and hit the ground running so well. You would think he has been hitting all this time.

I can understand why you might be a little biased in favor of Leal though ;)

Verified Member
the major sports draft is interesting...

NBA - must attend college for 1 year before declaring, but can return to NCAA play if undrafted

Not any more. That rule changed a few years ago. It used to be that you could go back if you didn't hire an agent. Now, once you declare for the NBA draft, you are done in the NCAA. No going back, even if you are not drafted.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Pretty sure someone who doesn't make our top 20-30 prospects isn't going to magically get a ticket to the futures game. Nothing against him but you need some kind of track record to get into the futures game. Also I couldn't find his BAbip, but judging by the fact he strikes out in 22% of his at-bats it is probably incredibly high. So a large regression is probably coming. Even then he might still be able to have a .300 batting average...not too shabby for a guy picked in the 34th round to be a pitcher. Can't remember the last guy I saw who switched positions and hit the ground running so well. You would think he has been hitting all this time.

Hard to tell if Josh was indicating for this season, but since Leal is a Puerto Rico native, Coulter wouldn't be blocking him from a World Team spot regardless (and clubs have had multiple Futures Team representatives, even on the same squad, in the past).

Of course, just based on pure numbers, most organizations have two reps each year, but the Brewers haven't exactly been swarming in candidates in recent seasons.

For 2015, one would think Coulter and Orlando Arcia might make this a very fun game for us come this July.

Hard to tell if Josh was indicating for this season, but since Leal is a Puerto Rico native, Coulter wouldn't be blocking him from a World Team spot regardless (and clubs have had multiple Futures Team representatives, even on the same squad, in the past).

Of course, just based on pure numbers, most organizations have two reps each year, but the Brewers haven't exactly been swarming in candidates in recent seasons.

For 2015, one would think Coulter and Orlando Arcia might make this a very fun game for us come this July.

I was going to mention Arcia but I wasn't sure if they could appear twice. Though now I remember Profar doing it twice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He's still hitting pretty consistently.

.775 ops is pretty solid.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 5 weeks later...
Still smacking the ball around. OPS over .800 too! Move him up!

• 2 years later...
He had a significant shoulder injury requiring surgery that caused him to miss the entire 2016 season, and then reportedly had a significant set back at the end of 2016. He was listed on the minor league 60-day DL during the 2017 season, and I don’t believe he played in any games this year.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived