Brewer Fanatic

2015 Regular Season Optimism Thread

torts
Brewers will be 30-31 over their last 61 games soon. Seems more like an awful first 2 weeks derailing a season than the worst franchise in the history of the game that many on the site want you to believe lately.

Yes!!! Cherry picking a select portion of the season in which they are *almost* .500!!!

It isn't cherry picking when 2 weeks into the season I said this is a low to mid 80 win team and would play like one from this point on until they trade players. This site overreacted to the bad site to a truly pathetic degree with many players saying it was a sub 70 win roster and it simply was never the case. There is a subset of this forum that seems to get so happy every losing streak about how they are right that Melvin is awful and the franchise has no future that it drives posters away. I know I almost never visit the site anymore because it is such an overly negative environment. For once I wanted to say something positive.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Brewers will be 30-31 over their last 61 games soon. Seems more like an awful first 2 weeks derailing a season than the worst franchise in the history of the game that many on the site want you to believe lately.

Yes!!! Cherry picking a select portion of the season in which they are *almost* .500!!!

It isn't cherry picking when 2 weeks into the season I said this is a low to mid 80 win team and would play like one from this point on until they trade players. This site overreacted to the bad site to a truly pathetic degree with many players saying it was a sub 70 win roster and it simply was never the case. There is a subset of this forum that seems to get so happy every losing streak about how they are right that Melvin is awful and the franchise has no future that it drives posters away. I know I almost never visit the site anymore because it is such an overly negative environment. For once I wanted to say something positive.

Saying a bad team is bad isn't overly negative. You can't continually point out that a team that's 15 games below .500 is a .500 team while throwing out the sample that doesn't support your statement and call it a fact.

Speaking only for myself, I don't even consider myself overly negative. I see some positives this year (and plenty of negatives)

Taylor Jungmann has had a nice start.

Khris Davis was hitting well before he got hurt.

Hernan Perez looks like at least a good utility option.

Blazek and Knebel are solid bullpen guys. Possibly even closer/8th inning men.

There aren't going to be any decent offers for loshe, Garza, Broxton or Ramirez. At best all we can do is salary dump them.

Ha...that's pretty typical of this site. People don't want to trade for Prince Fielder because he's coming off surgery and has had declining production. People won't consider Josh Hamilton despite the Angels paying nearly all his salary because of recent decline and various issues. Sometimes players do turn things around or "progress" to the mean.

Lohse, Garza, and Broxton have long track-records of success. Teams always are looking for veterans to get them off the hump. Will these guys have substantial value? no. But should be able to land a top 10 prospect from a team for each of them, especially if we kick in some money. Broxton throws very hard, and teams love that. As for Ramirez, I'm not sure how likely he is to get more than an A-ball non-prospect. But if he starts producing, then he could be an interesting one.

Teams always are looking for veterans to get them off the hump. Will these guys have substantial value? no. But should be able to land a top 10 prospect from a team for each of them, especially if we kick in some money. Broxton throws very hard, and teams love that. As for Ramirez, I'm not sure how likely he is to get more than an A-ball non-prospect. But if he starts producing, then he could be an interesting one.

Are you serious? Lohse is no different than Suppan or Wolf who we released. You could maybe get a Delmonico type prospect for Broxton if he starts pitching better. Garza we're going to have to kick in quite a bit of money. Teams aren't going to take on his contract and hope that he bounces back. Ramirez could get something decent if he stays on his hot streak for a while.

trwi7, the Suppan move was coming for 2 prior seasons. Wolf was at least good for 2 years here. Lohse has been a far better pitcher than any of us imagined when we signed him. Lohse's 4.53 road ERA is better than home. And he has a track-record that other teams will desire. His ERA has nearly doubled from the last two years. With no change in velocity, that means he's likely going to begin to pitch similarly. Having this thriving offense should help

Reminder: This is the optimism thread. If you don't want to be optimistic you probably should find another thread to post in.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I have to agree with Ennder on the negativity driving people away. Between that and the nonstop bickering between a select few, the site is at times no fun to visit at all. I only keep coming back out of loyalty, or nostalgia, or some such.

As for optimism, I have plenty, as always. Why can't this season be the exact reverse of last season? Right now they aren't just winning games, they're winning them decisively... and I like it!

Streak should make Brewers think twice about selling off players under control in 2016 or at least if you do, try and get something back that bolsters you in the short term as well as the long term. Last thing I want to see is them dealing Lind to Cardinals for some class A player and seeing him at 1B for St. Louis next year too. This is not an awful baseball team and has a decent core that can be back next year. Sell off the expiring contracts if offered something of value, but demand a decent return for Parra if they go that route.

Jungmann and Perez have been revelations over the past month.

Last thing I want to see is them dealing Lind to Cardinals for some class A player

I would be optimistic if they traded Lind for a class A player on the level of Devin Williams, Medeiros, or Coulter. In fact, I'm probably more optimistic than most on the Brewers future, just not for the 2015/2016 seasons. Keep flooding the system with high ceiling prospects and you can call me Mr. Glass H. Full.

Bring back the beer mug and fire Bernie. The worst mascot in all of sports.

I've got 4 dollars, cash American, that says you ain't got enough arse in your pants to say that in the presence of my wife. I'll need you to sign a waiver first, though, as I don't want to pay for the severe beating she throws you.

Aramis Ramirez was just named NL player of the week. The stories of his demise might have been greatly exaggerated. Perfect timing since it should ease other team's concerns for a trade. I think his heating up will give teams confidence he is still a viable starting option and was just off to his usual slow start.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Who starts the Wild Card game? Fiers?

Jungmann for me. Get a bunch of early ground balls on over aggressive hitters in a big game!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I've never heard anyone hate on Bernie before. seems like a pretty normal mascot to me, nothing to get worked up one way or the other. Better than the whole Hank the dog [expletive deleted]

Bernie is great. The real Hank is great. The mascot Hank is terrible.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

You know what I'm optimistic about? The Brewer bullpen beyond this season.

Smith, Knebel, Jeffress, Blazek - young, cheap players who throw hard and are having success at the major league level.

K-Rod, if he isn't dealt, is having a fine year, and if we keep him for another year or two, he's not that expensive. Plus having him - a cost certain player - get all our saves, it keeps down the prices of our young arms as they move into arbitration.

Goforth (just called back up), Michael Strong (AA), Jaye Chapman (AAA), Austin Ross (just promoted to AAA) and a few other fringier arms (Ariel Pena, for instance) offer a collection of potentially solid bullpen arms in the next year.

Plus, you're going to have some guys not make it as a starter who may turn into a good reliever (Brooks Hall, Hobbs Johnson, Tyler Thornburg, etc.).

It makes for nice collection of power relievers who are under control for a long time, and at decent rates.

Archived