Brewer Fanatic

Segura possibly a fit for SD? (Per mlbtraderumors.com/Dave Cameron)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If SD gets Bethancourt and another catcher is not involved, they would have Norris, Hedges, Pinto and Bethancourt on their 40 man roster including FOUR! rule 5 guys this year. I would think they'd want to trade one of their catchers for some other depth which we have in Segura. Segura ranked 9th in MLB in defense and the Padres mentioned on MLB radio this morning they are looking for a good defensive SS.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_/position/ss/league/nl/order/true

Bethancourt is out of options too, Hedges still has one

If SD gets Bethancourt and another catcher is not involved, they would have Norris, Hedges, Pinto and Bethancourt on their 40 man roster including FOUR! rule 5 guys this year. I would think they'd want to trade one of their catchers for some other depth which we have in Segura. Segura ranked 9th in MLB in defense and the Padres mentioned on MLB radio this morning they are looking for a good defensive SS.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_/position/ss/league/nl/order/true

Bethancourt is out of options too, Hedges still has one

This makes way too much sense. Does that mean its impossible?

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Not that it affects the point of the post, but I'm pretty sure they only picked 2 Rule 5 players from the major league portion of the draft (and none in the minor league portions).

Update: I stand corrected, they traded for 2 additional ones!

Yea, I don't see much point in trading Segura now. You're just not going to get much of anything back. Let him play SS in 2016, he's cheap. Maybe he finds his power again and/or improves his OBP. Now his stock goes up. We need to remember baseball is flush with SS right now, you can pretty easily find a 2015 version of Segura anywhere, or players that project to be that type of player.

I look at it as the downside of keeping him is almost nill, and the upside is he'll be worth more a the trade deadline or possibly even work his way into the mix for the future at 2B, 3B, utility, whatever.

Keep Segura. Start him at second. Play Yadi Rivera at SS. Raise Seguras value even more. Trade Scooter for more 19 year olds

I will take a Scooter Gennett/Jonathan Villar combo ANY day of the week over Jean Segura at 2B. They would be worth 100x more on offense and maybe slightly less on defense. I wouldn't even want Jean Segura as a utility infielder.

I will take a Scooter Gennett/Jonathan Villar combo ANY day of the week over Jean Segura at 2B. They would be worth 100x more on offense and maybe slightly less on defense. I wouldn't even want Jean Segura as a utility infielder.

There are so many players in the mix, hard to say how this will all shake out by April. Could be more trades, injuries, etc. I'm not a big Segura fan, but the guy has shown in the past he has some power and can get on base. Lots of young players have these ups and downs early in their career, and I think it's worth having one more look.

Just look at all the guys the Brewers have been acquiring. Many are coming off down years, it's why they're available. So why not take the same chance on guys we already have under control?

There are so many players in the mix, hard to say how this will all shake out by April. Could be more trades, injuries, etc. I'm not a big Segura fan, but the guy has shown in the past he has some power and can get on base. Lots of young players have these ups and downs early in their career, and I think it's worth having one more look.

Just look at all the guys the Brewers have been acquiring. Many are coming off down years, it's why they're available. So why not take the same chance on guys we already have under control?

Throwing out the first three months of his career Segura has two months with an OPS over .700. He doesn't have power and it is never coming back. As far as his OBP skills have you looked at his stats? Outside of his first three months in 2013 his OBP isn't even sniffing .300. If that is good OBP skills the sport is in a sad sad state. I am sorry but the guy grounded into more double plays than he had walks. That is a joke and even sadder when you consider he is pretty fast. I guess he doesn't strikeout too often, but the amount of weak ground balls he hits and the amount of first pitch outs he has probably takes away any real positive.

14 Double Plays Grounded Into / 13 Walks / .280 OBP

If anyone can someone turn Jean Segura into an average SS that guy deserves coach of the year. There is so much wrong with his overall game it would take something really special to turn him around.

Throwing out the first three months of his career Segura has two months with an OPS over .700. He doesn't have power and it is never coming back. As far as his OBP skills have you looked at his stats? Outside of his first three months in 2013 his OBP isn't even sniffing .300. If that is good OBP skills the sport is in a sad sad state. I am sorry but the guy grounded into more double plays than he had walks. That is a joke and even sadder when you consider he is pretty fast. I guess he doesn't strikeout too often, but the amount of weak ground balls he hits and the amount of first pitch outs he has probably takes away any real positive.

14 Double Plays Grounded Into / 13 Walks / .280 OBP

If anyone can someone turn Jean Segura into an average SS that guy deserves coach of the year. There is so much wrong with his overall game it would take something really special to turn him around.

Exactly, I don't see what the posters who see Segura having any offensive value at all are seeing. He's been terrible since he had a few hot months to start out a couple years ago. His approach is terrible, he really doesn't have much power, and most of his contact results in weak ground balls. I don't care what his age is, he's has 3 years to make adjustments and he hasn't. And please don't anyone bring up Carlos Gomez.

Segura is who he is. I agree that he's very unlikely to hit.

He has value, though, because he's an excellent defensive ss. Moving him to 2b would hurt his value. Moving him to 3b would kill it c

Defense also tends to deteriorate with age. Given that I don't think his bat is going to blossom, I'd be aggressively open to moving him now.

Wow, that stat seems almost impossible. How often do position players GDP more than they BBs?

The statement is absolutely right, he has terrible approach for at bats.Maybe Walsh on the roster will be the batting coach Gennett, Davis, and Segues need to learn how to approach at bats better. For as many walks that guy had last year, he must be a semi genius on guessing the pitches he's about to see from the pitcher. Transfer some of that knowledge, rub off on these guys.

Back to Segura. I'd fathom the Cy Sneed for Villar being relative value of what Segura is. If a team desires him vs Stearns calling and offering Segura.

Back to Segura. I'd fathom the Cy Sneed for Villar being relative value of what Segura is. If a team desires him vs Stearns calling and offering Segura.

You know I would like to think that, but Villar in 128 PA had more WAR than Segura has had the last two full years combined(1200 PA approx.).

The only thing that might save Segura's value is his name recognition from making an all star team. I think we held onto him too long though. Personally should have dumped him at the trade deadline if you ask me. Hopefully we can get something half useful and a CY Sneed like return would make me ecstatic.

Archived