Brewer Fanatic

Segura possibly a fit for SD? (Per mlbtraderumors.com/Dave Cameron)

For Segura, I want catcher Austin Hodges, outfielder Rymer Liriano, and a pitcher like Cory Mazzoni or Eliot Morris

I don't see any of those guys as core players going forward. Nice pieces perhaps and guys that might see significant action, but if I'm trading Segura, I want a guy who's likely to be a core player as the centerpiece. I don't see it with that group.

Gettys would also be a very nice piece but he's a bit too far off to project and the Brewers have some CF depth in their system.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For Segura, I want catcher Austin Hodges, outfielder Rymer Liriano, and a pitcher like Cory Mazzoni or Eliot Morris

I don't see any of those guys as core players going forward. Nice pieces perhaps and guys that might see significant action, but if I'm trading Segura, I want a guy who's likely to be a core player as the centerpiece. I don't see it with that group.

Gettys would also be a very nice piece but he's a bit too far off to project and the Brewers have some CF depth in their system.

Exactly why I don't like trading with San Diego.

Look, yes Hedges has a great potential for a Catcher. But that's just it, he's a Catcher. What's the going rate on Catcher's Health? The Mets lucked in to Travis D'Naud a top 5 Prospect at the time. Most of a season lost to a broken leg. Now another injury that going to have him hurt for awhile.

How's Lucroy's health? For all the love of him, he's put together 2 full seasons out of 5. Only 1 with 600+PAs. You're looking to acquire a Catcher who likely at best will average 135games over 4seasons. Or missing over 100games due to just rest in 4seasons....At Best. What if Hedges requires a Platoon mate because he OPS' .450 on one side? He's Right Handed not Lefty. That's not good.

The list of All Time Catchers to have an OPS of .800+ in their careers is at 34. 34 all time. 6 of them have less than 10WAR for their careers. To make the top 30 All time at Catcher you just accumulate 31.2WAR. Add to it 14 of these 30 Catchers had time spent using the DH-such as Victor Martinez.

Even the current legit and great Buster Posey has played 25% of his games at 1b starting.

I'm just not a fan of acquiring Catchers when they most likely wont give you a 3WAR season or better and kicked to the curb catchers such as AJ Ellis who's never made more than 5mil in a season can post a 3.4WAR and 2.3WAR b2b years while basically being worth 1WAR the rest of his career. These types are all over and on a down year you get -1WAR from them. on a Good year you get 3WAR from them. Matt Wieters, superstar Prospect catcher. 1 stand out season of about 5WAR. One at 3.5. the other 4 none above 2.6WAR.

Gimme an everyday player or a Top of the Rotation Starting pitcher before you give me a highly ranked Catcher. I don't need to future of the Brewers to be a major letdown or flameout.

This goes for acquiring Blake Swihart who actually has the offensive numbers to want to put in your lineup. Again, for a NL team, you're likely staring at 135 games per season missing 17% of the season due to needing rest or health recovery after taking a foul ball off the chin/knee/groin/foot see Yadier Molina. Considered best catcher of the generation he's never appeared in more than 140 games. Wasn't until his 9th season he had more than 3.1WAR for his team and only done that twice.

I just don't believe a Catcher should ever be sought after for the future. For In Season run at the Playoffs, yes certainly. but a prospect hoping they are a core to your future? It's a terrible idea.

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd revive the Segura trade thread.

This was posted yesterday on MLBTR. Apparently the Brewers are not telling teams that Jean Segura is unavailable. I would suspect that the Mets and Padres would still be the best fit. But it remains to be seen if those to teams will be buyers or sellers.

Quick Hits: Heyward, Segura, Giants, Joseph

By Zach Links and Mark Polishuk [June 28, 2015 at 11:25pm CDT]

Jason Heyward got off to a slow start with the Cardinals but he posted a .960 OPS and five home runs over 100 plate appearances from May 27 to June 27. As Heyward tells Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the improvement came in no small part due to intensive work on his swing, and it seems like things are finally clicking for the right fielder. If Heyward can keep this hot hitting going throughout the season, it will send his free agent value soaring; MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes has speculated that if Heyward could land a $200MM contract if he delivers a big season and proves he can be a consistent force at the plate. Here’s some more from around baseball as we head into the new week…

The Brewers haven’t told inquiring clubs that they’re not trading Jean Segura, Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel writes, but the team would clearly want a lot in return for the shortstop. Haudricourt ranks Milwaukee’s roster in terms of likely trade targets, and the only seeming untouchables being Jonathan Lucroy and young arms like Wily Peralta, Mike Fiers, Jimmy Nelson and others.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/06/quick-hits-heyward-segura-giants-joseph.html[*]

I don't see why the Mets would want Segura. Their current SS is hitting better than Segura and plays defense as well. He is also younger than Segura. It seems like a bad move to give up something for a minimal improvement or a step back.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Of course they want an upgrade. Right now he is better than Segura. He is younger and has been about as good as Segura the last few years. for them, Segura is not good enough to give up anything for.

I blame Wang.

I don't see why the Mets would want Segura. Their current SS is hitting better than Segura and plays defense as well. He is also younger than Segura. It seems like a bad move to give up something for a minimal improvement or a step back.

Well, if the Brewers are telling teams that Segura is not untradeable that means teams must be calling.

The Padres and the Mets are the semi two contenders with the worst SS situation.

Would those teams be willing to pony up the necessary prospects for Segura? Who knows.

Wilmer Flores is doing just fine at SS I think is what Logan is saying. Tejada is uninspiring but he's putting up comparable numbers as well.

Both teams are probably flaming out anyways due to their atrocious offensive offseason moves. The Mets gave up a draft pick for Michael "fish out of CoorsWater" Cuddyer and the Padres made a multitude of moves selling off their future for a bunch of right-handed hitters that are extremely overrated and mostly cannot hit RHP and are not built for that park.

In the Mets' case, other than the Cuddyer move, they did fine and really should be contending next year anyways. I don't see their motivation to make too many shortsighted moves this year knowing that this year is gravy and they should be up there for the division for the next 5 seasons after this.

I could see the Padres maybe trading for something since they've gone "all in" on this season, but I'm not sure that it's Segura.

I don't think Wilmer is good but he is performing better than Segura is right now. He is younger and they have similar levels of performance at the MLB level through their careers. There isn't enough to separate them to say Segura would be a clear upgrade. Right now I would probably lean towards Flores being a better SS.

I blame Wang.

We heard the same about Segura. The metrics look pretty similar. Close enough to be equal. There just isn't enough to separate one from the other. Doesn't look like Segura would be better than their 2B either.

I blame Wang.

Rollins WAR: -0.2

Segura WAR: -0.1

I doubt they'll call up Seager but I bet they'll trade for a defensive-oriented utility guy or something like that. They'll just get what they can out of this last half season of Rollins. Segura wouldn't make sense. He has no place on next year's team and is barely an upgrade if at all this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that it is evident that Arcia will push Segura either off SS or out of MKE, I say move him now. While his value has been debated here, I would also overspend to get a top 6 OF.

Fiers

Segura

MReed

for

Hunter Renfroe

And I would be happy with that. All 3 Brewers are replaceable tomorrow (Sardinas/Arcia for Segura, Wagner et al. for Fiers, and Renfroe for Reed in AA RF).

holy cow, that is a huge overpay on our part....Reed is only about 30-50 spots lower than Renfroe on Sickels prospects ratings (said Refroe just missed his top 75, and said Reed would be in the low 100's) and Segura and Fiers on top of that? Nutty

Another post over valuing other teams prospects while undervaluing ours.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Molitor Fan, Looking at your top 25 I see your MReed love; looking at my 25 and you will not see the same love. I agree with a lot of scouts that see him as a 4th OF type. Also Segura is 1600+AB and lucky to be career OPS at .676. Fiers is an overachiever that will do very well in Petco Park provided he has decent OFs there. I still value Renfroe as someone Sickles had above SNewcombe and JHoffman in the preseason ratings. I love big SEC bats and I cannot lie.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree here and history may side with you...but I'd like to have Renfroe in our OF in 1.5 years...

• 4 months later...

Segura for Austin Hedges straight up? Hedges defense is top notch, his bat needs to come around, but he'll be going into his year 23.

Padres GM was just on MLB radio saying he's shopping for a SS.

Gives us an opportunity to shop Lucroy then.

Yes, we can shop Lucroy with no big thoughts on lack of defense and we can move away from Maldonado being set in stone as our backup catcher.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived