Brewer Fanatic

Segura possibly a fit for SD? (Per mlbtraderumors.com/Dave Cameron)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Padres are off to a hot start but have been relatively dismal at SS/2B, as expected.

What about:

SS Luis Sardinas

2B Scooter Gennett

for

C Austin Hedges

SP Casey Kelly

SP Zechariah Lemond

Allows the Brewers to consider trading Lucroy later this season, and long-term opens up 2B for Segura (who is having a nice rebound so far) and SS for Arcia.

The Padres are off to a hot start but have been relatively dismal at SS/2B, as expected.

What about:

SS Luis Sardinas

2B Scooter Gennett

for

C Austin Hedges

SP Casey Kelly

SP Zechariah Lemond

Allows the Brewers to consider trading Lucroy later this season, and long-term opens up 2B for Segura (who is having a nice rebound so far) and SS for Arcia.

Too much from the Padres. Sardinas doesn't figure to be much of an improvement over what they have now and Gennett isn't worth giving up a Hedges type player. Padres probably would look for obvious upgrades being a win now team.

Too much from the Padres. Sardinas doesn't figure to be much of an improvement over what they have now and Gennett isn't worth giving up a Hedges type player. Padres probably would look for obvious upgrades being a win now team.

Hedges had a .589 OPS in AA last season, Melvin would be wise not to get intoxicated by the BA ranking.

Hedges is outstanding defensively, no one doubts that, and before last year he looked like he'd become an acceptable hitter, but last year he was an automatic out.

It's weird, Hedges' OPS was always in the 700s until he got to San Antonio...where he just stopped hitting. He's off to a good start with the bat this season, so who knows? He's never going to be a difference-maker with the bat, but he should be with the glove - IF he can hold his own as a hitter, he's a guy you want.

Teams apparently are calling about Gomez and Segura.

Brad Johnson of MLBTraderumors wrote the following today:

Latest From Rosenthal: Papelbon, Braun, Young, Redmond

By Brad Johnson [April 25, 2015 at 5:49pm CDT]

The Brewers may shift to a rebuilding stance, and teams are in constant contact about Carlos Gomez and Jean Segura. Another star, Ryan Braun, will be difficult to trade. He’s slumped to start the season. He’s owed $105MM through 2020, and his no trade clause includes every team by the Angels, Dodgers, Nationals, Rays, and Marlins.

No shocker that Braun is untradeable.

Hopefully Segura keeps hitting and Melvin can rip someone off at the deadline. At the start of this year it looked like Gomez, Peralta, and Lucroy were the only trade chips. Segura may be changing that very quickly.

With Sardinas and Arcia close it would be awesome to use Segura to restock the system with some of the talent that excited in the Greinke trade.

If any team is willing to pay like Segura's a career .800+ OPS shortstop, I think the club should be all over that kind of deal.

I really like Segura, & would have no problem with the Brewers keeping him through his arby years. But if some club sees him as their long-term answer at SS & are willing to pay like it, I don't think you should pass that up.

Ultimately I think he's going to wind up being a mid-.700s OPS bat, which is nothing to sneeze at for a SS.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't want to trade Segura either, but the team clearly needs new talent, and (go figure) three of the best young players they've got all play the same position.

You've got to give to get, and right now, SS is a position of strength to deal from - if the Brewers can get a strong return for Segura, they have to take it seriously.

No team has ever had too many good pitchers or catchers, and the team could certainly use a corner infielder or corner outfielder at the top of the system right now.

The bad news is, the big club is a complete failure right now, the good news is, if they want to, they could completely reshape the 40-man by the end of the calendar year.

I don't want to trade Segura either, but the team clearly needs new talent, and (go figure) three of the best young players they've got all play the same position.

You've got to give to get, and right now, SS is a position of strength to deal from - if the Brewers can get a strong return for Segura, they have to take it seriously.

No team has ever had too many good pitchers or catchers, and the team could certainly use a corner infielder or corner outfielder at the top of the system right now.

The bad news is, the big club is a complete failure right now, the good news is, if they want to, they could completely reshape the 40-man by the end of the calendar year.

I hope they do. But the key is that they need to get good returns in order to re-stock the system.

Saving money by trading Lohse, Broxton, or K-rod is great, but ultimately this franchise needs talent, not money.

Looking back the system has been poor since the Greinke trade in December of 2010.

The departure of Cain, Escobar, Jeffress, and Odorizzi really did a number on the franchise, and then was combined with the failure to trade Braun, Fielder, or Hart in any of their primes.

I cant even imagine what this franchise would look like today if the Brewers would have traded Prince in the winter of 2010, and held off on the Grienke trade.

OK, here's my deal for the Padres...

They've paid James Shields, and traded for both Uptons, Matt Kemp, Craig Kimbrel and Wil Myers, in doing so they traded their five highest rated pitching prospects - this is what we call, "going for it." They're playing to win, obviously, and they need Segura, just as obviously.

The Brewers need young talent, obviously, and the time has come to rebuild, just as obviously.

The Padres are trying to win the division, so the Brewers should try to win the deal - a couple of the Padres' best prospects are currently blocked at the MLB level.

For Segura, I want catcher, Austin Hedges, outfielder, Rymer Liriano, and a pitcher like Cory Mazzoni or Elliot Morris.

Hedges is a defensive stud, he Honest to God has a chance to become the best defensive catcher in the league. The question is, will he hit enough to play every day in the big leagues? I think he will. Hedges is not going to be a stud with the bat, but I think he'll hit .260, with a low 700s OPS, and 10-12 HR per year.

Liriano is an outfielder with plenty of potential, he has 20/20 tools, and a good arm. He should be available because the Padres brought in four veteran outfielders over the off-season - there's no spot for him. He's also missed a full season following Tommy John surgery, and he has to prove he's not going to play himself into a fourth outfielder role by chasing too many pitches.

The pitchers I mentioned are in the, "might make it - might not" category. At best, either of them is a #4 starter, with a bullpen role seeming to be the more likely for either of them.

San Diego has Derek Norris at catcher, under control for three more seasons beyond this one. They can afford to deal Hedges.

San Diego has Justin Upton, Matt Kemp, Wil Myers and Melvin Upton in the outfield. They can afford to deal Liriano.

San Diego is well past the point of no return, their farm system has been scattered in the wind in recent months - a pitcher like I've mentioned in the deal shouldn't stop them at this point.

The key is Segura's play - he looked amazing at this time two years ago, then he fell off with the bat, and stayed off. We know he can field, and we know he can run, if his hitting issues are behind him, and he keeps playing the way he is right now, he's an outstanding all-around player, under team control for three more seasons, at a premium position. He also happens to play a position the Padres have not adequately addressed yet.

San Diego is already going for it - I think the Brewers should too. This is what I want, and time is on Milwaukee's side. The Padres need to upgrade at shortstop, they've come too far to go with what they have, and the Brewers' season is already a mess. We can keep running Segura out there, we're not going anywhere - the Padres are the ones with motivation to move in this case.

That would be a decent trade, but if we assume Segura's bat is back I would try to push for Hunter Renfroe instead of Rymer Liriano (the latter makes me nervous because of the strikeouts). That's a bigger give for the Padres, but they're in a position to overpay.

Hedges had a .589 OPS in AA last season, Melvin would be wise not to get intoxicated by the BA ranking.

Hedges is also at worst a gold glove catcher...AT WORST. He really doesn't need to hit much to be a valuable player. Like you said it allows us to trade Lucroy now and he is a much better prospect than Sardinas.

Maybe something like Hedges, Gettys, and a low level arm for Segura might make more sense. Maybe Gennett needs to be included to pry away Gettys...regardless I think Segura makes a lot more sense for the Padres. Hopefully Segura can keep it up and show more doubles potential.

Hedges is also at worst a gold glove catcher...AT WORST. He really doesn't need to hit much to be a valuable player. Like you said it allows us to trade Lucroy now and he is a much better prospect than Sardinas.

Maybe something like Hedges, Gettys, and a low level arm for Segura might make more sense. Maybe Gennett needs to be included to pry away Gettys...regardless I think Segura makes a lot more sense for the Padres. Hopefully Segura can keep it up and show more doubles potential.

I would like to have Hedges, but Gold Glove defensive catchers who will put up a .550 OPS are honestly not that hard to find floating around the minors. Hedges only has substantial value if he can become a passable hitter, which is the big question mark. So I'm not sold on valuing him like a top-75 prospect or however BA has him ranked.

Segura is very valuable, the Brewers should ask for a major haul.

I'm not interested in any of those packages from San Diego. I see 2014 as an outlier bad year for Segura due to a variety of mitigating factors. He's an impact middle infielder. That's major value. He's still young and under control. I'm keeping him, and strongly considering him at second to pair with Arcia who is laughably underrated as a prospect nationally.

If you think there isn't a bias against small market Midwest teams, look no further than Arcia. He'd be a top 30 prospect if he was in an I-95 system. I like Arcia and Segura as a tandem.

Sure, we need to rebuild, but Segura is young enough to be part of the rebuild. I like proven quality over unknown quantity and Segura is in the process of proving quality as a top of the order impact middle infielder.

Sure, we need to rebuild, but Segura is young enough to be part of the rebuild. I like proven quality over unknown quantity and Segura is in the process of proving quality as a top of the order impact middle infielder.

Your only problem is the fact Segura is only around for 3 more years unless they can convince him to sign an extension. That or you pay him market value to keep him around. So that plan is not so simple...I 100% agree and would keep him around if he would sign a somewhat team friendly deal after a fully good year.

Also Arcia will easily be Top 50 in mid summer rankings the way he has looked.

Your only problem is the fact Segura is only around for 3 more years unless they can convince him to sign an extension. That or you pay him market value to keep him around. So that plan is not so simple...I 100% agree and would keep him around if he would sign a somewhat team friendly deal after a fully good year.

Are you forgetting that Segura's natural position is 2B? Arcia AND Segura can coexist.

Are you forgetting that Segura's natural position is 2B? Arcia AND Segura can coexist.

Actually I didn't mention anything about them not coexisting. The problem is the fact we really don't control him that long. If we go for a rebuild I am not so sure we will contend in the next 3 years while we control Segura.

Segura has shown he is quite a good D shortstop. And he has most value there. So if we have two shortstops, we get more value by trading one, rather than moving him to 2nd base.

Jean Segura has good, but not great D. That being said his value would be pretty comparable at 2B. He obviously has more value at SS, but it isn't like he is a elite super star over there. Jean Segura is more of a role player.

Just checked his numbers. 48 AB's, .458 BA, .518 OBP, 1.164 OPS. :)

If he keeps anything close to that up, he will be a top 10 prospect. Only thing lacking is the power. Still, he has 4 doubles, a triple, and an HR.

Things are looking up on the Arcia front. Made my day.

Considering the Braun bashing due to his start, Segura's value right now for a prospect after his start must be worth a top 25prospect right? Former 40s ranked prospect when the Brewers acquired him, proving he's a legit Major League SS and not a prospect?...

Or am I reading too much in to his 1month of stats start?

Anyway. I'm sticking with my opinion the Padres don't have the proper prospect value to get in return. Hedges included. There would need to be a 3rd team involved...taking Lohse or Garza? What did Dee Gordon/Dan Haren net LA? Andrew Heiney+? I'll go look and edit this...

Considering the Braun bashing due to his start, Segura's value right now for a prospect after his start must be worth a top 25prospect right? Former 40s ranked prospect when the Brewers acquired him, proving he's a legit Major League SS and not a prospect?...

Or am I reading too much in to his 1month of stats start?

Anyway. I'm sticking with my opinion the Padres don't have the proper prospect value to get in return. Hedges included. There would need to be a 3rd team involved...taking Lohse or Garza? What did Dee Gordon/Dan Haren net LA? Andrew Heiney+? I'll go look and edit this...

Yes, I think you are. I don't think player valuations fluctuate as wildly in baseball talent evaluation circles nearly as much as they do in fan estimations.

If I'm acquiring a player, it's going to be based on factors like swing mechanics, & not whether he's OPS'd .600 or .800 for a couple of weeks.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived