Brewer Fanatic

Segura possibly a fit for SD? (Per mlbtraderumors.com/Dave Cameron)

MLBTradeRumors with more Padres speculation today, this time looking at Luis Sardinas and some other candidates such as Javier Baez. Preller is familiar with Sardinas from his time with the Rangers.

The more I think about this the more I think the Brewers would need the Padres to overpay to get a deal done at this stage in the season.

What do people think of Renfroe? Is he a sure fire Big Leaguer? Is he a top 100 prospect?

This website had Renfroe ranked #1 in the Padres system before all the big offseason trades and has him ahead of Trea Turner and Matt Wisler: http://prospect361.com/nl-team-prospects/san-diego-padres/

Shortstop Alternatives For The Padres

By Steve Adams [April 10, 2015 at 3:49pm CDT]

The Padres are said to be “scouring” the trade market for shortstop upgrades over internal options Clint Barmes and Alexi Amarista, and while significant trades at this stage of the season are indeed rare, the Sunday’s blockbuster acquisition of Craig Kimbrel and Melvin Upton from the Braves shows that GM A.J. Preller isn’t averse to making trades at any stage of the season.

Both Dave Cameron of Fangraphs and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports beat me to writing something on the subject, and each piece is well worth the read. However, there are a vast expanse of shortstop options available for the Padres to explore, and Rosenthal reports that the team seems likelier to add a low-cost upgrade than to make an extravagant splash for the likes of Elvis Andrus or Starlin Castro. (The Padres have concerns about Castro’s glove at shortstop, in fact, Rosenthal adds, and have not recently been in touch regarding Chicago’s middle infielders.)

Cameron discusses a wide range of shortstop possibilities for the Friars, concluding that an acquisition of Jean Segura might be the most logical upgrade for San Diego. While I agree that Segura makes some sense for the Padres, there are some additional low-cost names (from a financial standpoint, that is) that could be replaced within their respective organizations.

Before delving into some speculative candidates, let’s first take a quick glance at the current options in San Diego. Barmes batted a decisively sub-par .245/.328/.294 last season, with six of his nine walks coming while batting eighth, in front of the pitcher. While he’s well-known as a plus defender, Barmes projects to be roughly a replacement level player when looking at the ZiPS and Steamer projection systems. Likewise, Amarista is a light-hitting infielder, who projects to be scarcely more than a replacement-level option. He’s younger than Barmes but is also just a .233/.278/.335 hitter in more than 1200 plate appearances. It’d be a surprise to see him contribute anything close to league-average production at the dish.

The Padres have a pair of serviceable gloves at shortstop, but neither comes with much in the way of offensive upside, and as such, their search for a shortstop upgrade isn’t unexpected.

All that said, let’s look at some options around the league that could serve as alternatives to Amarista and Barmes…

Luis Sardinas, Brewers: Preller of all people should be familiar with Sardinas, who was signed by the Rangers and developed into a promising prospect while Preller was still in the Texas front office. The jury is out on how much Sardinas will actually hit — he’s batted .290/.310/.374 in limited Triple-A action and didn’t fare much better in the Majors last year — but he’s regarded as a plus defender and has more upside at the plate than either incumbent option in San Diego. Sardinas is blocked in the Majors by Segura, who, as Cameron noted, could be a fit in San Diego himself, if the Brewers believe that Sardinas can adequately step into the everyday role at shortstop.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MLBTradeRumors with more Padres speculation today, this time looking at Luis Sardinas and some other candidates such as Javier Baez. Preller is familiar with Sardinas from his time with the Rangers.

The more I think about this the more I think the Brewers would need the Padres to overpay to get a deal done at this stage in the season.

What do people think of Renfroe? Is he a sure fire Big Leaguer? Is he a top 100 prospect?

This website had Renfroe ranked #1 in the Padres system before all the big offseason trades and has him ahead of Trea Turner and Matt Wisler: http://prospect361.com/nl-team-prospects/san-diego-padres/

The Padres are said to be “scouring” the trade market for shortstop upgrades over internal options Clint Barmes and Alexi Amarista, and while significant trades at this stage of the season are indeed rare, the Sunday’s blockbuster acquisition of Craig Kimbrel and Melvin Upton from the Braves shows that GM A.J. Preller isn’t averse to making trades at any stage of the season.

Both Dave Cameron of Fangraphs and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports beat me to writing something on the subject, and each piece is well worth the read. However, there are a vast expanse of shortstop options available for the Padres to explore, and Rosenthal reports that the team seems likelier to add a low-cost upgrade than to make an extravagant splash for the likes of Elvis Andrus or Starlin Castro. (The Padres have concerns about Castro’s glove at shortstop, in fact, Rosenthal adds, and have not recently been in touch regarding Chicago’s middle infielders.)

Cameron discusses a wide range of shortstop possibilities for the Friars, concluding that an acquisition of Jean Segura might be the most logical upgrade for San Diego. While I agree that Segura makes some sense for the Padres, there are some additional low-cost names (from a financial standpoint, that is) that could be replaced within their respective organizations.

Before delving into some speculative candidates, let’s first take a quick glance at the current options in San Diego. Barmes batted a decisively sub-par .245/.328/.294 last season, with six of his nine walks coming while batting eighth, in front of the pitcher. While he’s well-known as a plus defender, Barmes projects to be roughly a replacement level player when looking at the ZiPS and Steamer projection systems. Likewise, Amarista is a light-hitting infielder, who projects to be scarcely more than a replacement-level option. He’s younger than Barmes but is also just a .233/.278/.335 hitter in more than 1200 plate appearances. It’d be a surprise to see him contribute anything close to league-average production at the dish.

The Padres have a pair of serviceable gloves at shortstop, but neither comes with much in the way of offensive upside, and as such, their search for a shortstop upgrade isn’t unexpected.

All that said, let’s look at some options around the league that could serve as alternatives to Amarista and Barmes…

Luis Sardinas, Brewers: Preller of all people should be familiar with Sardinas, who was signed by the Rangers and developed into a promising prospect while Preller was still in the Texas front office. The jury is out on how much Sardinas will actually hit — he’s batted .290/.310/.374 in limited Triple-A action and didn’t fare much better in the Majors last year — but he’s regarded as a plus defender and has more upside at the plate than either incumbent option in San Diego. Sardinas is blocked in the Majors by Segura, who, as Cameron noted, could be a fit in San Diego himself, if the Brewers believe that Sardinas can adequately step into the everyday role at shortstop.

I'd take Solarte and Renfroe for Sardinas, but honestly we don't need any of the junk San Diego has IMO. They are a trainwreck waiting to happen and traded all their prospects away to do it.

Are you strictly talking about Sardinas? Sardinas isn't worth a whole lot at this point and isn't worth a sliver of Renfroe(Top 50 prospect). Even Segura isn't worth one of their top 100 prospects unless he has a great first half and then maybe they would part with high risk high reward Hedges.

Neither of our SS options are valuable at this point in time.

Sardinas isn't worth a whole lot at this point and isn't worth a sliver of Renfroe(Top 50 prospect).

What did Sardinas do to diminish his top-100 prospect status other than be just-ok at the MLB level in a small sample size? He's only 21.

I wouldn't trade Sardinas for a non-top-100 prospect, no way.

Sardinas isn't worth a whole lot at this point and isn't worth a sliver of Renfroe(Top 50 prospect).

What did Sardinas do to diminish his top-100 prospect status other than be just-ok at the MLB level in a small sample size? He's only 21.

Exactly. Some people on this forum make the most reckless comments at times just to see if they stick.

Exactly. Some people on this forum make the most reckless comments at times just to see if they stick.

Not saying anything is wrong with Sardinas I actually think he did pretty well in his first time in the big leagues. Not sure if you could get a Top 100 prospect though...that might be stretching it. I know for a fact they aren't getting Renfroe, way better of a prospect than Sardinas is. The main problem with a Sardinas trade is the fact it would virtually be prospect for prospect trade which isn't the most common practice.

Not saying anything is wrong with Sardinas I actually think he did pretty well in his first time in the big leagues. Not sure if you could get a Top 100 prospect though...that might be stretching it. I know for a fact they aren't getting Renfroe, way better of a prospect than Sardinas is. The main problem with a Sardinas trade is the fact it would virtually be a prospect for prospect trade which isn't the most common practice.

I would require a Top 100 prospect to trade him too, but I don't think Sardinas is the kind of player where teams are lining up to get him. Also have to wonder if a contending team really wants to trade for a prospect with little MLB experience. I'd think a team like the Padres would want a proven guy.

Not saying anything is wrong with Sardinas I actually think he did pretty well in his first time in the big leagues. Not sure if you could get a Top 100 prospect though...that might be stretching it. I know for a fact they aren't getting Renfroe, way better of a prospect than Sardinas is. The main problem with a Sardinas trade is the fact it would virtually be a prospect for prospect trade which isn't the most common practice.

I would require a Top 100 prospect to trade him too, but I don't think Sardinas is the kind of player where teams are lining up to get him. Also have to wonder if a contending team really wants to trade for a prospect with little MLB experience. I'd think a team like the Padres would want a proven guy.

I believe the Padres were looking at Sardinas before he was traded to the Brewers. There were actually a few teams looking to acquire Sardinas in a trade before the Brewers got him. You are extremely under valuing Sardinas value on the trade market.

I believe the Padres were looking at Sardinas before he was traded to the Brewers. There were actually a few teams looking to acquire Sardinas in a trade before the Brewers got him. You are extremely under valuing Sardinas value on the trade market.

The Padres were actually looking to trade for him after the Brewers acquired him. The amount of interested teams doesn't really speak for his value. A lot of times teams are trying to buy low on players.

I don't think the Brewers are all that interested in trading one of their SS right now...I am sure they enjoy their surplus up the middle. Will be interesting what they do if Segura continues to hit. It will be tough to trade Sardinas for a prospect since GMs don't like the risk involved if the guy you acquire bombs and the other turns into an all star. Prospect for prospect trades just don't happen all that often.

I just don't get the high value on Sardinas. He has 5HRs in his professional career over full seasons of ABs. His slugging will always be extremely low. Let's go to Walks. less than 6% in PAs in the Minors. Pretty much offensively, Sardinas is a guy that's going to struggle to Reach .700 for an OPS. So he has to bring it with the Glove to create positive value.

But there in lies the problem. Why is he coveted as an Offensive upgrade over what the Padres have now? Alexi Amarista has hit the Career Professional total of Sardinas' 5HRs every year in the Majors for 3 straight seasons. He possessed better numbers in the minors offensively than Sardinas. Yet Sardinas is going to be an offensive upgrade? Maybe more imposing due to the height difference. But I don't see it in regards to being an upgrade.

Here's the thing I wonder. Sardinas has the height to project more power. He's small in weight and hasn't put the muscle on as he's aged. His big value right now is on the defensive side with that future offensive projection. Maybe some point he puts on 15-20lbs. Starts hitting more than 2HRs a season as a professional. But, how does his defense at the premium SS position take to that? He won't be as loose/fluid as a fielder than he is now with the added muscle. Does he lose range and speed? You take a 4WAR Defensive SS(as an example) and turn him in to a 1WAR defensive SS. He improves his OPS from .660 to .715 overall. And instead of a -1 Offensive WAR he becomes a 1WAR offensive SS. Is he better or worse?

I just don't get how a sub .700OPS in the Minors SS can be considered a ML Offensive upgrade? Not until Sardinas has added over 10lbs to frame(if not 25-30) and shown he can perform with that weight gained. I think the guy could turn in to the AAAA type if he remains rail-thin for his career.

And it's not that I don't like having him as a Backup, I'm thrilled about, I'm just not overly concerned about him when Orlando Arcia will be pounding to be inserted into the everyday SS lineup and I'm in believe he can reach that this season. Which just keeps Sardinas as the AAAA backup.

Still the Padres don't have the prospects anymore that make sense for a trade. Renfroe or Michael Gettys being it. Sardinas won't get a team's #1 prospect until he's proven himself. And Segura, I just don't know he will get that in return either, until he shows more offense. So Gettys would be the only prospect worth any of Milw's time. Gettys for Sardinas...Sure! Gettys for Segura? Just not enough. Not at this point due to Segura's price/upside and Gettys Hit tool concern.

Segura's drop off in 2014 doesn't affect his trade value as much as some suggest. It's similar to Scott Podsednik's situation a decade earlier. In 2003 Podsednik was 2nd in ROY balloting after posting an .822 OPS. The following year his BA dipped 70 points leading posters on this site to conclude he'd lost 90% of his trade value. Lo and behold he gets dealt for Carlos Lee. Say what you want about Lee, but he was a legit middle of the order hitter in his prime at the time. Teams wanting a young SS will discount his 2014 which in this day of pitching dominance probably wasn't as bad as it looked either.

With Segura, Sardinas, Arcia, and even Rivera, the Brewers have an excess of young talented SS.

Brewers need one or two more controllable cheap arms to allow them to deal Garza this winter and make salary room for all out effort at Jordon Zimmermann or another of the many premier starters who'll be FA this year.

Unfortunately, I think players like Cueto, Price, Zimmerman and Greinke are all going to cost more than the Brewers can afford. This leaves guys like Latos, Fister, Samardzija, Kennedy and Gallardo as options for the Brewers. I would personally like to see them target Latos or Fister if thier AAV stays around $17-18M. Add Latos or Fister to our existing starters Peralta, Garza, Nelson, Fiers and Jungmann (I believe Thornburg is destined to be a back of the rotation reliever) and this rotation offers a lot of potential.

Brewers need one or two more controllable cheap arms to allow them to deal Garza this winter and make salary room for all out effort at Jordon Zimmermann or another of the many premier starters who'll be FA this year.

Unfortunately, I think players like Cueto, Price, Zimmerman and Greinke are all going to cost more than the Brewers can afford. This leaves guys like Latos, Fister, Samardzija, Kennedy and Gallardo as options for the Brewers. I would personally like to see them target Latos or Fister if thier AAV stays around $17-18M. Add Latos or Fister to our existing starters Peralta, Garza, Nelson, Fiers and Jungmann (I believe Thornburg is destined to be a back of the rotation reliever) and this rotation offers a lot of potential.

They could afford to sign one of the big names. They have the cash opening up and they could defer some money(which wouldn't be horrible as their next TV Deal will start in 2020). Not sure they could do it for 25mil+, but if one of them could be had for closer to $20mil I could see it.

Only problem is a lot of our players will be into arbitration by the end of one of these big deals and money could be tight in the later years. Not to mention we are talking a big commitment in a time period where we don't look that impressive.

They could afford to sign one of the big names. They have the cash opening up and they could defer some money(which wouldn't be horrible as their next TV Deal will start in 2020). Not sure they could do it for 25mil+, but if one of them could be had for closer to $20mil I could see it.

Only problem is a lot of our players will be into arbitration by the end of one of these big deals and money could be tight in the later years.

The arbitration for players like Davis and Peralta could get costly unless the Brewers sign them to team friendly extensions early on like they did with Lucroy and Gallardo. How lucky did the Brewers get when Segura refused thier extenstion offer?

Segura's drop off in 2014 doesn't affect his trade value as much as some suggest. It's similar to Scott Podsednik's situation a decade earlier. In 2003 Podsednik was 2nd in ROY balloting after posting an .822 OPS. The following year his BA dipped 70 points leading posters on this site to conclude he'd lost 90% of his trade value. Lo and behold he gets dealt for Carlos Lee. Say what you want about Lee, but he was a legit middle of the order hitter in his prime at the time. Teams wanting a young SS will discount his 2014 which in this day of pitching dominance probably wasn't as bad as it looked either.

With Segura, Sardinas, Arcia, and even Rivera, the Brewers have an excess of young talented SS.

I hate that comparison a lot. Scott was good the entire 2003 season, didn't fall off the face of the earth the next year, was a 70 steal guy(RARE), had some power....I mean let's be honest he was a well rounded player. Segura had two good months and slowly nose dived for over a year. Jean Segura has value, but he is about to be arbitration eligible and that all star appearance will inflate it.

I hate that comparison a lot. Scott was good the entire 2003 season, didn't fall off the face of the earth the next year, was a 70 steal guy(RARE), had some power....I mean let's be honest he was a well rounded player. Segura had two good months and slowly nose dived for over a year. Jean Segura has value, but he is about to be arbitration eligible and that all star appearance will inflate it.

Podsednik went from hitting .314 in 2003 to .244 in 2004. That's a pretty significant drop for a guy without a ton of power and who wasn't a great centerfielder defensively either. I know Segura's drop off is fresher in everyone's mind but believe me there was plenty of negativity on this site's forum about Podsednik despite the 70 SB after his 2004 season, which was really brutal for the team. Podsednik was the leadoff hitter and after a .379 OBP in 03, it fell way down to .313 in 04. Segura's year wasn't that bad either taken in the context that offense around the entire league was down last year and the fact that he plays a key defensive position and is several years younger than Podsednik was at the time.

Podsednik went from hitting .314 in 2003 to .244 in 2004. That's a pretty significant drop for a guy without a ton of power and who wasn't a great centerfielder defensively either. I know Segura's drop off is fresher in everyone's mind but believe me there was plenty of negativity on this site's forum about Podsednik despite the 70 SB after his 2004 season, which was really brutal for the team. Podsednik was the leadoff hitter and after a .379 OBP in 03, it fell way down to .313 in 04. Segura's year wasn't that bad either taken in the context that offense around the entire league was down last year and the fact that he plays a key defensive position and is several years younger than Podsednik was at the time.

Jean Segura was the 12th worst hitting starter in all of MLB and the 2nd worst SS only out performing a 40+ year old Jeter. So even if offense was down around the league Segura was one of the worst guys trotting out there every day.

For comparison back in 2004 Scott was the 48th worst hitter and the 22nd worst OF.

The might have had similar falls, but at least with Scott you know you would get an average player. With Jean Segura he could be totally worthless with the bat and his defense is largely overrated.

(All information was pulled off of FanGraphs)

Wasn't Starlin Castro about the worst full-time hitter in all of baseball 2 years ago? Yet you here Cubs fans clamor for some elite prospect in order to take on his high contract for a bust of a player. Segura is a better defender at SS and with it he carries value. Add that he is 6mil+ cheaper than Castro w/o another 4years of contract guaranteed, Segura>Castro imo.

Chicago will have to eat 15-20mil in order to move Castro maybe more with each passing day and his 2013 numbers appearing again. Truthfully, considering how Atl and SD did business with each other. All San Diego should do is wait calling Theo and remind him of the offer he gave to acquire Castro. Because Castro's value, with Russell pushing his way to have him benched for him, is going to be next to nothing. Chicago made a big contract mistake when they extended him(but who knew they'd find magic beans with nearly every SP they bought while rebuilding to get a Russell and others)

Or, just maybe on Segura's great start to the year... Well there's Sardinas, there's Hector Gomez, and there's Arcia. If I were his agent, I'd tell him Arb is coming up since they didn't take that extension. And he won't be offered much if he's riding the bench the last 70% of the season only to be used in mopup games and to pinch hit. Unlike Castro, who's set for life with his guaranteed money, no matter his performance with 45 some million to be paid his way.

Wasn't Starlin Castro about the worst full-time hitter in all of baseball 2 years ago? Yet you here Cubs fans clamor for some elite prospect in order to take on his high contract for a bust of a player. Segura is a better defender at SS and with it he carries value. Add that he is 6mil+ cheaper than Castro w/o another 4years of contract guaranteed, Segura>Castro imo.

Chicago will have to eat 15-20mil in order to move Castro maybe more with each passing day and his 2013 numbers appearing again. Truthfully, considering how Atl and SD did business with each other. All San Diego should do is wait calling Theo and remind him of the offer he gave to acquire Castro. Because Castro's value, with Russell pushing his way to have him benched for him, is going to be next to nothing. Chicago made a big contract mistake when they extended him(but who knew they'd find magic beans with nearly every SP they bought while rebuilding to get a Russell and others)

Or, just maybe on Segura's great start to the year... Well there's Sardinas, there's Hector Gomez, and there's Arcia. If I were his agent, I'd tell him Arb is coming up since they didn't take that extension. And he won't be offered much if he's riding the bench the last 70% of the season only to be used in mopup games and to pinch hit. Unlike Castro, who's set for life with his guaranteed money, no matter his performance with 45 some million to be paid his way.

What exactly are you trying to say?

What I'm saying is there's belief that Castro is worth some kind of decent prospect package to acquire. When he's being shelled out a large amount of money to be League average for a SS defensively, and maybe worth a few wins offensively or completely be negatively worth as were discussing Segura's offensive value. Only Segura is a better defender and he's not being paid 45+mil guaranteed to be one with his potential offensive flaws.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Brewers need one or two more controllable cheap arms to allow them to deal Garza this winter and make salary room for all out effort at Jordan Zimmermann or another of the many premier starters who'll be FA this year.

One of the reasons the Nats are supposedly reluctant to extend Zimmerman and Strasburg is that both have had TJ surgery about 5-6 years ago. The general feeling is that the life expectancy on an arm after TJ is eight years. Knowing Jordan and Strasburg are going to command long term deals (probably minimum of six years), the club feels both players could be facing a second TJ a couple of years into their new - and very pricey - contract. And knowing that comebacks from second TJ surgeries are not pretty (the below article gives a player roughly a 20% chance to come back from a 2nd TJ, compared to 90% for a first), they don't want to risk the extension.

This could play into why the club signed Scherzer - who's never had TJ. They feel he'll last longer than either Strasburg or Zimmerman - and even if Scherzer does need TJ, he's much more likely to rebound than the other guys.

Here's an article on the subject:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/fear-of-second-elbow-surgery-may-lead-to-zimmerman-strasburg-departures/2015/03/29/80367f62-d646-11e4-8103-fa84725dbf9d_story.html

Archived