Brewer Fanatic

Segura possibly a fit for SD? (Per mlbtraderumors.com/Dave Cameron)

I would be ecstatic if the Brewers got Despaigne for Segura straight up. Despaigne put up a 3.36 ERA in 96.1 innings pitched last year. I doubt Segura is ever going to hit much at the mlb level. He was a 2nd baseman in the Angels system and IMHO he will likely end up there in the bigs. Just not much power, low obp, lots of K's.

Maurer, Amerista and Barmes are garbage. I'd rather the padres just keep those guys.

Frankly, the crew has Sardinas in AAA, he hits left handed, and cant be much worse than Segura. If Preller comes calling hopefully Melvin uses our SS depth to add some pitching.

California Notes: Ross, A’s, Padres, Shortstops

By Mark Polishuk [April 9, 2015 at 10:09pm CDT]

With the Padres looking for shortstop help, Fangraphs’ Dave Cameron sees the Brewers’ Jean Segura as a realistic trade target. Cameron speculates that a deal of Segura for Odrisamer Despaigne, Brandon Maurer and one of Alexi Amarista/Clint Barmes could give both teams an overall roster upgrade. Beyond Segura, Cameron doesn’t see the likes of Troy Tulowitzki, Elvis Andrus, Starlin Castro or Jose Ramirez as plausible San Diego trade targets for a variety of reasons.

For the 20th straight season, the Padres have signed Matt LaChappa to a minor league contract, a move that gives the southpaw a regular income and access to health insurance, USA

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I would do that deal but this isn't a "rumor" it's Dave Cameron just throwing something out there and I find it highly unlikely that Melvin or Attanasio are willing to move Segura. Although if they would be getting a gritty veteran like Clint Barmes back in return they might be convinced.

Segura is a very interesting asset. I bounce between him being potentially the next great young offense/defense SS and being almost completely worthless.

I wonder how other teams view him? This trade "rumor" from the Padres seems like a lot of value, especially Despaigne, for a guy that can barely get the ball out of the infield.

Where is the accept button...has Segura even hit a ball in the air? Ground ball machine...

So much so if I had to good defensive OF's on my team, I'd play 5 IF's and 2 OF's. For example if we had Parra in LF, Gomez in RF and Braun in RF (IF background) against Segura, I'd play Braun in the IF and make it very hard for Segura to do anything.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It maybe a a made up idea, but if there was ever a team where a made up idea actually had a chance it would be the Padres. I like the 2 pitchers approach, particularly adding to starter depth. Not sure how it would affect the teams chances for this year, but it's not hard to imagine Arcia being ready sooner rather than later.

It maybe a a made up idea, but if there was ever a team where a made up idea actually had a chance it would be the Padres. I like the 2 pitchers approach, particularly adding to starter depth. Not sure how it would affect the teams chances for this year, but it's not hard to imagine Arcia being ready sooner rather than later.

I would be more than OK with giving Sardinas a shot at starting at SS this year. If we got Barmes back in the trade, we have him for insurance too.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Add me to the list of ones for this trade. Getting a young starting pitcher and another live arm along with a veteran SS to back up Sardinas is a decent haul for someone who has been very inconsistent and yet to match the productivity in his only successful half season. Otherwise i would be interested in 3B prospect Gabriel Quintana. He is likely 2-3 years away from contributing but offers good power and upside.

Sweeten the pot, add Lohse and try to get an even better return.

Take a look at Despaigne's pitch chart/info on fangraphs...very difficult for a pitcher to sustain success with that kind of profile....he is of zero interest to me and it should be noted that Brandon Morrow beat him out for a starting gig this season...Renfro, Spangenberg and Maurer would be a more suitable haul

Take a look at Despaigne's pitch chart/info on fangraphs...very difficult for a pitcher to sustain success with that kind of profile....he is of zero interest to me and it should be noted that Brandon Morrow beat him out for a starting gig this season...Renfro, Spangenberg and Maurer would be a more suitable haul

This is Segura not Lucroy you know. Segura was one of the worst every day hitters in the majors. I wouldn't expect any top prospects.

EDIT: The Brandon Marrow comment is just pointless and means nothing. Marrow is for one on a garanteed contract and secondly Marrow couldn't be optioned while the other could. Most teams prefer to keep depth at the start of the season. I mean do you think Hector Gomez or Luis Jiminez is better than Matt Clark because they made an opening day roster over him...come on don't think so narrowly.

Add me to the list of ones for this trade. Getting a young starting pitcher and another live arm along with a veteran SS to back up Sardinas is a decent haul for someone who has been very inconsistent and yet to match the productivity in his only successful half season. Otherwise i would be interested in 3B prospect Gabriel Quintana. He is likely 2-3 years away from contributing but offers good power and upside.

27 is a young starter?

If that's all we can get for Segura, I'm more than fine keeping him. If he improves, great. If he doesn't, it's not like we're missing out on good players.

27 is a young starter?

... only by Brewer standards...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

It's funny how Fangraphs started out as a sabermetric reaction to the dummies at ESPN, and yet it now consistently churns out the most ill-informed content on the internet.

The Brewers are not trading Segura for a reliever and an elderly 5/6 SP...

This is a classic 'contender trades guy not quite good enough to fill a role for someone on a bad team that meets a need' type deal... generally proposed by a fan of the 'contender'. Segura definitely doesn't look very good, but why would the Brewers do this? This would be akin to the Brewers offering Marco Estrada to the Royals to reacquire Alcides Escobar down the stretch in 2011. Melvin would have been laughed at and hung up on when found to be serious for that proposal, so why would this be any different?

It's funny how Fangraphs started out as a sabermetric reaction to the dummies at ESPN, and yet it now consistently churns out the most ill-informed content on the internet.

The Brewers are not trading Segura for a reliever and an elderly 5/6 SP...

Some of their stuff is good but I read a piece today on a topic that I don't recall where they asked a question. The whole time you expect an answer and instead of yes or no the best the writer could come up with was perhaps.

Why even ask the question and write the article if that's the best you can come up with?

Segura was awful last year and I don't think any win now team will want him. If we're going to trade Segura I think the only thing to do would be swap him for some other underperforming former prospect. Best thing we can probably do at this point is hold for a year and hope his value goes up along with Arcia / Sardinas.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

The only down side to this trade is the fact that there still is that slight hope Segura become a legit SS and this Padres starter doesn't provide a lot of upside. Are the Brewers really dying for a slightly above average starter?...not really. Not going to lose sleep if we passed up on a trade like this and Segura never turned it around.

If he ends up turning in a good first half, however, we could get a nice return and possibly a nice prospect.

Trading Segura involves the kind of innovating thinking that Doug Melvin does not possess. Kind of like trading Gomez. Plus, it would almost be like throwing in the towel and admitting the Greinke deal was a bust.

Segura is actually the ideal type of player we would want to trade for at this point if he wasn't already on our roster. Former decent prospect in the middle infield with his value at an all time low, can start for 1-2 years during a rebuild and try to build up his value and if not cut ties without losing much. It's just that we've watched his crappiness for 1.5 years now.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Segura has started off the season well. Hopefully he'll hit this year well enough to keep his value up to flip in the future.

How about a HR by Segura! Still overall, who do the Padres possess that makes sense for the Brewers? Renfroe? at OF? That is a too desperate acquire for the Padres to make at this time. Deadline deal for a Segura who's having the kind of success thus far and carried it all the way to that point? I think that deal could be done. But what does getting Refroe do? Give the team a RF option. Where Braun is now? Blocking him? Getting Renfroe would essentially open the door to Have to trade Khris Davis. Obviously not this season. But do you just go in tank mode and trade both Gomez/Davis then in this offseason if you've gotten rid of Segura in season 2015?

The Padres don't have a top SP prospect anymore. Despaigne included. Nothing in his past screams solid Pitcher. Low Ks per 9 and his FB is 90MPH. Meanwhile has a higher BB/9 than wanted. Just screams trouble and a #4/5 SP at best. Nelson profiles far better than him. Even Fiers.

The only 2 prospects that the Padres have to deal that would be exciting is Renfroe and Gettys. Barring some AS numbers by Segura(with Sardinas/Arcia posting quality numbers to make that expendable) I can't see the Padres and Brewers making a deal. I'd rather look elsewhere for more a need vs a team just willing to deal for what they want after all the prospects they've now dealt.

if the old brewerfan salary page is ok re arby, Segura starts arby year one next year; if you traded Jean you have a problem that you look like you have punted the year;

but... if Arcia has a great year at AA (he has started out blazing) you can consider a trade; but surely the return must be good - overwhelming, even; it would need to be a trade where all lookers say 'we love Jean, but for the franchise, we had to do it'

to be honest, I like Jean - his energy on the things I read (hardest runner down the first base line), his D that is praised, his possibility of being a good batter (going back to his first half year)... but, you do what is best, dont you

overall, the Brewers are very deep at short; so I hope DM can take advantage; I feel the trades of Hardy and Escobar were beneficial to both sides - and it worked out good for the players, so hopefully, such continues

edit... and with Segura turning down the extension, one knows that he will bolt after last arby year; the best for now, is Jean to have a blinder first month

Archived