Brewer Fanatic

2015-04-07: Rockies (Lyles) vs Brewers (Garza) 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-2]

trwi7
This just in, a baseball manager isn't going to make a huge difference in the outcome of a game.

I never understand this line of thinking...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The very worst aspect of RRR is that not one single Rockies player got drilled after Segura got hit. In the unwritten rules of Baseball that is inexcusable and makes the Brewers look soft & weak. In a larger aspect it goes beyond that, not just do they look soft & weak but truly they are soft & weak. Those that have never coached or played at a high level of Baseball might not understand this but that was an epic mistake.

I wasn't at the game and the TV cameras didn't show the dugout but it appeared that not one player even got fired up about Segura getting hit. I miss the days when Prince Fielder, Rickie Weeks & Jason Kendall would be on the top steps screaming at the Rockies after something like that happened. You can bet that most MLB managers would make sure Tulowitzki was drilled in the back in his next time up, to send a message loud & clear. And if Tulo didn't like it Lucroy should smack him across the face. It sends a message. Not doing that sends another message. Roenicke won't stand up for his players. And the players won't stand up for each other.

It appears that the Brewers have zero veteran leadership that can teach the younger players the right way to play.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

The very worst aspect of RRR is that not one single Rockies player got drilled after Segura got hit. In the unwritten rules of Baseball that is inexcusable and makes the Brewers look soft & weak. In a larger aspect it goes beyond that, not just do they look soft & weak but truly they are soft & weak. Those that have never coached or played at a high level of Baseball might not understand this but that was an epic mistake.

Clearly Lyles wanted to hit Segura in the face

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Clearly Lyles wanted to hit Segura in the face

See, that is the thing, it doesn't matter.

I don't know you or know your Baseball background, but there are unwritten rules that must be followed or MLB teams will just steamroll all over you and have free reign to keep pitching you inside and further inside with no fear of retribution.

Believe me, every single team took notice of what happened last night.

Hopefully Peralta will nail Gonzales or Tulo tonight early and send a message

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I played for a long time, and agree with you 3and2. They did mean to go up and inside on Segura, if not to hit him directly in the face. Either way, you stand up for your guys and they will not be throwing up and in again any time soon. Not having enough chutzpah is at the top of the list in terms of RR's managerial flaws in my opinion.

Why does this surprise anyone? This has been going on for as long as RRR has been our manager.

Ask the Cardinals if they fear any retaliation when they play us...They would laugh in your face.

Our manager is fine with complacency and wimpiness. That is his personality, so it only makes sense that his team would incorporate the same attitude.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Guys...it was a curveball that got away. It wasn't him trying to go up and in. Retaliation on that would look silly. You don't back someone off with a curveball. I do say this as someone who grows tired of Ron and his decisions...this was not one to retaliate on.

I didn't realize it was a curveball. I was at the game in person last night and didn't have the benefit of seeing a replay on tv. My overall point was that if a pitcher from an opposing team goes up and in that we should not respond with a "whatever" attitude. Whether or not RR was correct last night, it has unfortunately become way to easy to assume that the Brewers will not do anything to retaliate against other teams. The dreaded TLR and the Cards in '11 proved my point many times over that season and unfortunately, I don't think much has changed.

I didn't realize it was a curveball. I was at the game in person last night and didn't have the benefit of seeing a replay on tv. My overall point was that if a pitcher from an opposing team goes up and in that we should not respond with a "whatever" attitude. Whether or not RR was correct last night, it has unfortunately become way to easy to assume that the Brewers will not do anything to retaliate against other teams. The dreaded TLR and the Cards in '11 proved my point many times over that season and unfortunately, I don't think much has changed.

I'll give you that. :)

There is a time and a place for retaliation. Half the time it puts you in a worse place. Ejection, put a runner on, suspension, etc. a breaking pitch that hits someone, no matter where, is not the time to retaliate. You retaliate when you think someone is intentionally trying to hurt one of your guys.

As for the poster not understanding the argument of a baseball manger not having a huge outcome on the game, explain why. Baseball is the one of the more individual team sports out there. You attempt to put your players in the best place to succeed, and I'm sure he's doing that. It so easy to call a manger out after the fact for not putting the right guy in or keeping the wrong guy in, but we don't know the outcome of the other scenario. We just assume the other way would have worked and resulted in a pinch hit home run or a pitcher getting out of a jam. Blame the players if you want but I really dislike all the blame going towards a manager when an outcome doesn't work in our favor.

Preaching done.

Archived